Out-Of-State Face-To-Face with a C&R

Question for my fellow TGOers.

I have a C&R and I've always had the items shipped to me. If I were to find a C&R item out of state in person (like at a gun show or LGS) I know I can take possession then and there for a C&R long gun but does the same apply for a C&R handgun? Does the type of seller (private vs FFL) matter?

In short, if say I find a WW1/WW2 1911 at a gun show in Kentucky, and I have a copy of my C&R with me, can I take possession then and there legally presuming the seller would do that transfer?

I think "Yes" and can't find much on the BATFE site that would contradict that. All signs there seem to point to buying a C&R item with a C&R license bypasses the need for NICS and an in-state FFL but all the FAQs I can find are about having it shipped directly to the C&R holder, not directly taking possession while out of state.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Federal law - Yes. But as Will said, it also depends on State and Local laws and the dealer must agree to take your C&R. 

Private sales of C&R items are legal as long as the seller will take the C&R and all info is recorded in your bound book. But again, State and Local laws may vary. 

If your planning on going to the Louisville show. I know several people who have bought C&Rs there without any trouble. 

• 5 months later...

I've never had an issue. Private Sellers sometimes need a little knowledge transfer but outside of that they've always taken my C&R, FTF and mailed out of state transactions. I have not come across an FFL that has refused me either but I have seen some that state in their ads NO C&R's.