1911 9mm conversion to 38 Super

piper266

A barrel and magazines for sure. However, first check to see if a .38 Super round will fit in the breach face of your slide.  The 38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge and thus slightly larger than a 9mm at the base. It may be necessary to slightly open up the breach face for the Super to chamber. However, I do know that 9mm/38 Super convertible  1911s do exist. So it is possible. 

• Like 1

I've limited experience +  don't have a Springfield to compare, so I definitely defer to Grayfox 54.  

Just FYI though I have several older Colt 1911s  (5"  version) that I can switch back & forth between  9mm /  Super 38 / 9x23 by changing a barrel + magazine ...   

Your better off having one fit, you may have to adjust the extractor a little bit but it's very doable. I would get a Kart Bbl. Kit and you'll probably want to get a new Bbl. Bushing to match your new Bbl. Should be pretty straight forward  but make sure the gunsmith you take it to for the work isknowledgeable on the 1911. Look up Kart Bbl.'s they have a drop in kit I believe, but I'd rather have one of there gunsmith fitted Bbl's. Wilson Combat, and NightHawk have Bbl.'s also you can check out, also Barsto.

Edited by DJTC45
  • Like 1

Caveat - I am not a 1911 wizard, but I haven't had much luck with 1911 'drop-in'.   

Like DJTC45 suggested, a Kart pro fitted barrel is my preference, though I also have Bar-sto & Nowlin and I even got lucky with a few Colt factory take-offs.  I definitely suggest a good 1911 gunsmith fit the barrel / bushing and adjust extractor if required, unless you have that skill.  29418695_1911barrels.jpg.e5e636286d6cfb36b0fe44f5f2ddbc89.jpg

• Like 3

Some 9mm 1911s have extended ejectors installed that will be too long to allow ejection of a loaded .38 Super round.  From what I have experienced, you can often get by with just one shortened .38 ejector for both 9 and .38.

Like someone suggested above, make sure the .38 case head will slide up the breechface.   Chances are you may need to also purchase a new extractor and adjust it for .38 as well, since an extractor that will put sufficient tension on a .38 case will not put enough tension on a 9mm case for reliable extraction.

You'll need to figure out what ramp style the Garrison uses for the barrel.   Generally Springfield uses Wilson/Nowlin style ramped barrels but it's always a good idea to check your personal gun. 

ramped-barrels-1.jpg

ramped-barrels-3.jpg

Edited by ken_mays
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I have a Springfield Range Officier in 9mm, I bought one of the $39 Sig 38 Super barrels from CDNN. All the fitting I had to do was to shorten the barrel hood length a few thousands. A link, link pin, recoil spring and magazines was also needed. It feeds and ejects fine. The breech face and extractor worked with no adjustments. 

• Like 1