10mm owners I have a question

I'm a new 10mm owner and have never shot or owned one before. I got a screaming deal on a like new Glock 29. What are some things to watch out for , beware of , or good things to do with these and if you are a reloader , can you load bunny fart light loads with 10mm ? I reload 9mm and 45acp. Any information is appreciated.  Also , do any of you use a .40sw conversion barrel in them for cheaper practice sessions? 

20220429_182951.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new 10mm! I have a Glock 20 that I have shot some, but not much. I used 180gr Sig brand FMJ with no problem. Although that ammo is supposed to be fairly warm, I did not notice the recoil being particularly harsh. (Of course, the slide of the G20 has more mass than the G29.) I have read that hot ammo can bulge the case with stock Glock barrels, and I have some Underwood ammo to try, but I have not tried it yet. 

I know some think that a heavier-than-stock recoil spring is needed for high-powered ammo. I think it could be true if you want to shoot quickly, but I don’t have enough experience with it to say. 

You will like the power of the 10mm. I have a Sig P220 and Springfield XDM in 10mm, and use to own a Glock in 10mm. I found the polymer guns to have more muzzle rise than the steel frames. Get a solid grip and you will do just fine. Enjoy! 

Just for fun, try the Underwood Extreme Penetrator at the range. Nearly 800 LBS of muzzle energy. 

• Like 1

Personally, I’ve fired countless 40 short n weak rounds from 4 diff platforms without any type of conversions. I’ve never fired 10mm from a baby Glock, but I’ve fired plenty of hot 200 and 220 grain ammo from underwood, Doubletap, and Tim Sundles’s ammo (why can’t I think of name….help me someone?) and it’s got real thunder behind it. If you have any wrist problems, arthritis, etc I’m the opposite with my recommendations…the heavier the platform the less it’ll try to jump out of your hand! My advice with that 29 would be to start with conventional 180 gr range ammo and see how you like it before you go to the hot stuff because you need time to let your ligaments, tendons, and muscles to adjust to it. It’s really fun but the rounds can be a bit high. I recently sold my next door neighbor, a cop, a Rock Island double stack 10mm…it’s a beast and possibly the only 10mm handgun where you could do more damage pistol whipping than shooting…it’s a chunk when it’s empty and feels like a 20lb dumbbell in your hand when there are 16 rounds in it haha! Anyhow what I told him to do was to grip it like you do a nice trout when you’re trying to get that hook out. If you don’t squeeze the cider out of it the thing’s jump out of your hand on you! Same with Ten Mike Mike! If you limp wrist that firearm, besides never hitting anything you’ll also get FTF problems. When 10mm range ammo gets high, I shoot 180gr 40 since it’s cheap. This is only for reps because it’s not at all the same as 180gr 10mm. 

I’m not trying to be a granny by any means, but since you’ve not experienced it before I’m just trying to keep things in perspective and also keep you from having a negative experience. The lighter and smaller the firearm, the less mass you have to absorb some of that recoil. The hotter the ammo, the more energy released. Powerful ammo + undersized platform means your wrists, elbows, forearms have to take all that energy. I just didn’t want you to get a poor impression of this fantastic round right off the bat and feel like you had made a bad choice is all. Heck…maybe I am turning into granny?

Best of luck and would love it if you came back here with a report of your experience!

PS a pic of the Big Rock I referred to

52009---Rock-Ultra-HC.jpg

• Like 3

10mm is interesting as a replacement for .357 revolvers. 

Would suspect the 10mm round will edge the .357 sales out now that there are more firearms chambered in it.

Am wondering if the ballistics, ie expansion of hp ammo, holds up with the shorter 3.8"  barrel?  Understood that it rather depends on who makes the ammo.

4 minutes ago, JD_Shellnut said:

Hard to find a more proven man stopper than the tried & true .357 magnum.

Very true. I did read an article one time where they tested a Glock Model 32 against a S&W 4 inch .357 Magnum. Used Winchester 125 Ammo in both to compare the calibers. The .357 Sig was actually about 50 FPS faster due to the cylinder gap in the revolver using the same bullet. So my reasoning was a Glock with 13 rounds and less recoil shooting the same bullet 50 FPS faster would be an improvement on the .357 Magnum.

1 hour ago, Eray said:

The .357 Sig was actually about 50 FPS faster due to the cylinder gap in the revolver using the same bullet.

The .357 Sig and the 10mm don't use the same bullet, even if they both are 125 grains.  The bullet diameters and their profiles and ballistic coefficients are different.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Whisper said:

The .357 Sig and the 10mm don't use the same bullet, even if they both are 125 grains. 

I could be mistaken (I usually am), but Eray might been referring to the 125gr .357 Sig vs .357 Mag. My clue was the mention of the Glock 32 (.357 sig) going up against the SW 4” .357Mag. This would also explain why he made the point that the projectiles were the same, etc.

Regardless, I take full blame for derailing the topic; I have that tendency and, in all honesty, what red blooded Tennessean could resist the bait of “man stopper” and “357 mag” in the same sentence? Not I, said the fly!

Edited by JD_Shellnut
misquoted myself (must be my split personality )
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Eray said:

Very true. I did read an article one time where they tested a Glock Model 32 against a S&W 4 inch .357 Magnum. Used Winchester 125 Ammo in both to compare the calibers. The .357 Sig was actually about 50 FPS faster due to the cylinder gap in the revolver using the same bullet. So my reasoning was a Glock with 13 rounds and less recoil shooting the same bullet 50 FPS faster would be an improvement on the .357 Magnum.

As an " Old Timer " with revolvers and handloading, the idea that a 357 SIG is the equivalent of the 357 mag is a bit of a stretch.  The only place they are comparable is in the 125 grain loading.  The SIG suffers from small case capacity, and the 125 grain pill is about the optimum fit for them. 

The original 357 loading was a 158 grain bullet at about 1450 fps back in the thirties.  The SIG ain't in that neighborhood because of case capacity. 

I like the SIG (.. Used ta carry a Glock 33 ..), but it ain't no 357 magnum.  The police liked the 125 grain load in the magnum and the SIG because they could shoot it better, plus the SIG is higher capacity.  The old, original 357 loads with the 158 grain pills bucked too much for the average shooter, so they calmed the load a bit to better fit " a wider spectrum of shooters ".

To summarize, in my world, at least; the 357 SIG is a great round, much closer to what was claimed for the 9mm, than to a " real " 357 magnum load that the old timers used to use... The 10 MM is the " icing on the cake ".  Plenty of power and high capacity in the big Glocks n other polymer wonders...

Ancient leroy...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JD_Shellnut said:

Personally, I’ve fired countless 40 short n weak rounds from 4 diff platforms without any type of conversions. I’ve never fired 10mm from a baby Glock, but I’ve fired plenty of hot 200 and 220 grain ammo from underwood, Doubletap, and Tim Sundles’s ammo (why can’t I think of name….help me someone?) and it’s got real thunder behind it. If you have any wrist problems, arthritis, etc I’m the opposite with my recommendations…the heavier the platform the less it’ll try to jump out of your hand! My advice with that 29 would be to start with conventional 180 gr range ammo and see how you like it before you go to the hot stuff because you need time to let your ligaments, tendons, and muscles to adjust to it. It’s really fun but the rounds can be a bit high. I recently sold my next door neighbor, a cop, a Rock Island double stack 10mm…it’s a beast and possibly the only 10mm handgun where you could do more damage pistol whipping than shooting…it’s a chunk when it’s empty and feels like a 20lb dumbbell in your hand when there are 16 rounds in it haha! Anyhow what I told him to do was to grip it like you do a nice trout when you’re trying to get that hook out. If you don’t squeeze the cider out of it the thing’s jump out of your hand on you! Same with Ten Mike Mike! If you limp wrist that firearm, besides never hitting anything you’ll also get FTF problems. When 10mm range ammo gets high, I shoot 180gr 40 since it’s cheap. This is only for reps because it’s not at all the same as 180gr 10mm. 

I’m not trying to be a granny by any means, but since you’ve not experienced it before I’m just trying to keep things in perspective and also keep you from having a negative experience. The lighter and smaller the firearm, the less mass you have to absorb some of that recoil. The hotter the ammo, the more energy released. Powerful ammo + undersized platform means your wrists, elbows, forearms have to take all that energy. I just didn’t want you to get a poor impression of this fantastic round right off the bat and feel like you had made a bad choice is all. Heck…maybe I am turning into granny?

Best of luck and would love it if you came back here with a report of your experience!

PS a pic of the Big Rock I referred to

52009---Rock-Ultra-HC.jpg

I have the above mentioned "beast" JD refers to in 9mm. It is Heavy. Fun to shoot. Accurate...and did I mention HEAVY? It is. 

I like Rock Island products. Even have that 22/TCM conversion model, which is pretty much the same gun.

Been thinking and wondering about the RI Sem-auto shotty. Any comments on them?  

Congrats on the new 10.  I bought my first Glock 29 as a backup gun before heading up to Alaska in 2012.  After several thousand rounds fired and reloaded, my 29 has done really well with any reloads as well as any standard factory  loads on the market.  I did experience some FTF issues when using Doubletap and Underwood hot 220 hard cast loads.  However, an 18 pound recoil spring from Wolfe springs did clear a lot of that up. I’ve shot hundreds of rounds of 40 through my 29 with the stock barrel and recoil spring without a single issue.  Enjoy your Glock 29!  I know I have.

Edited by piper266

I've owned both the G20 and G29, and as far as I was concerned the only difference in the two is my 3XL hands didn't like the G29, so I gave it to my son. I reload and shoot some pretty hot loads through both without any spring replacement. I did install Ghost trigger systems in both for just a better trigger.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. So it sounds like I have a good 10mm that can also shoot .40 if I am out of 10mm or just want to switch up as long as I clean up the carbon "ring" in the chamber from .40 afterwards.  Thanks very much guys ! 

yep. I had dedicated 40 s&w barrel.  but 10mm chamber works if you clean.

Owned 20, 29, the rock island 10mm, s&w310 - all gone.   Found the 29 hard to time with hot loads.  If you’re going the route of top velocity with long shot, 800x or heavy boutique ammo a red dot or rowlanator rear sight with recoil spring increase is the way to go. If you’re gonna run a comp buy a G20 and chop or Timberwolf short grip frame.  I got tired of destroying brass with hot loads and moved on.  Stay middle of the road and skip the off the shelf range ammo unless you need brass because it ant far from forty.  and ppu brass was crap.  

10 hours ago, ohell said:

yep. I had dedicated 40 s&w barrel.  but 10mm chamber works if you clean.

Owned 20, 29, the rock island 10mm, s&w310 - all gone.   Found the 29 hard to time with hot loads.  If you’re going the route of top velocity with long shot, 800x or heavy boutique ammo a red dot or rowlanator rear sight with recoil spring increase is the way to go. If you’re gonna run a comp buy a G20 and chop or Timberwolf short grip frame.  I got tired of destroying brass with hot loads and moved on.  Stay middle of the road and skip the off the shelf range ammo unless you need brass because it ant far from forty.  and ppu brass was crap.  

I am going to stay on the mild side of 10mm when I reload for it. I dont believe in running hot rounds just to end up tearing up a good gun. I may use a premium factory ammo when I deer hunt. I hunt with a long gun but there have been many times when I had to turn completely around in a tree to get a good shot. Moving that long barrel would scare the deer. So I figure if I  am in a situtation like that , I can just use the pistol instead. 

2 hours ago, Patton said:

Most of us 10mm guys shoot 40 in the 10mm barrel and did so long before the Internet was around to tell us it shouldn’t be done. 

I've done this with the model 29 that I had. I had given it to my FIL to keep around the house for self-defense and had basically 40 cal loads in 10MM casings.

5 hours ago, Patton said:

Most of us 10mm guys shoot 40 in the 10mm barrel and did so long before the Internet was around to tell us it shouldn’t be done. 

In the Glock barrel ? I know Glock chamber's are a little roomy and loose so I was still thinking about getting a dedicated KKM or Lone Wolf 10mm barrel to keep brass from buldging or weakening at least for my target shooting. For carry I'll use the factory barrel with factory defense rounds. 

36 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

In the Glock barrel ? I know Glock chamber's are a little roomy and loose so I was still thinking about getting a dedicated KKM or Lone Wolf 10mm barrel to keep brass from buldging or weakening at least for my target shooting. For carry I'll use the factory barrel with factory defense rounds. 

I run the KKM in my G20 and it will eat anything.  Good barrel.

• Like 1

I've owned a few 10mm's within the last few year although I haven't shot them much because of the recent prices on target ammo. I had the Glock 29 and put a few hundred rounds through it but the recoil is the only reason I sold it. I like recoil but I knew I'd never carry it because of that reason, then again I had friends who aren't affected by the recoil coming out of the shorter barrel. Something that I've heard often is that the 10mm round breaks down frames a lot faster than other calibers. But I've only heard this and never seen it for myself. 

• Like 1