10mm owners I have a question

I read this thread and I got inspired.   Found this lonesome SIG and decided to give it a good home.

SIG p220R5 10mm Legion.  It's beautiful and a big gun.  Fits my mitts great though.

Image small.jpg

Edited by DasVidaniya
  • Like 2

Do it right and there's no need for an aftermarket barrel...unless you want one.  I screwed up and sold my G29 2.5 but kept the G20. I had shot heavy recoil handguns so the 10mm was nothing new.  My favorite bullet weight is 165gr. Not to the exclusion to anything else.  The G20 responds well to the handloading. I'm too poor from the fancy store bought stuff. I can mix up some pretty potent homemade rounds.  Right on shooting 40S&W in the 10mm.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:26 PM, Patton said:

Most of us 10mm guys shoot 40 in the 10mm barrel and did so long before the Internet was around to tell us it shouldn’t be done. 

I see no reason for shooting 40 in a 10mm gun.  If I want to shoot 40, I shoot it in a gun built for 40.  

35 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

I see no reason for shooting 40 in a 10mm gun.  If I want to shoot 40, I shoot it in a gun built for 40.  

I had, and still do, tons of 40s&w given to my by the agencies I have worked for.  Once again 40 ammo withstood the ammo shortages best. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Patton said:

I had, and still do, tons of 40s&w given to my by the agencies I have worked for.  Once again 40 ammo withstood the ammo shortages best. 

I'm a huge 40cal fan. I have tons of it bought cheap as people decided the hated the caliber. Lol. 

• Like 1
On 5/3/2022 at 8:57 AM, tercel89 said:

I am going to stay on the mild side of 10mm when I reload for it. I dont believe in running hot rounds just to end up tearing up a good gun. I may use a premium factory ammo when I deer hunt. I hunt with a long gun but there have been many times when I had to turn completely around in a tree to get a good shot. Moving that long barrel would scare the deer. So I figure if I  am in a situtation like that , I can just use the pistol instead. 

For factory ammo, take a look at Underwood. They have some awesome stuff. 

• Like 1

I have not had a G29 in many years. I still have my G20.3. I found that there is a sacrifice going with the  small gun. In chronographing the 10mm loads the was a cost to pay with the G29. I sold my G29 some years back. That was not a wise move. The G29, to me, is is unique compact handgun.

I shot 40 caliber rounds in my G20. It works but I go with a G23.4. If I wanted a full size 40 S&W the hunt would be on for a police turn in. Those guns I saw and passed on were brand new condition.

This reports of being thrown to the ground or crippled for life shooting a 10mm Glock is something of an exaggeration.  For me, the 10mm is just another cartridge to reload. I like the big Glock's.  The G20 and G21 are among my favorites.

I got a 357 OEM barrel for my G23.4.  The 357 SIG is also an interesting cartridge. Feeling here are If one wants  357 Magnum performance go buy a 357 Magnum.  I feel the 357 SIG is a good round but the 357 Magnum revolvers rule here on the hill. There is no confusion about 357 SIG and 357 Magnum here.

Edited by Mowgli Terry

I too had the Glock 29.  I love the 10mm round, and still have a few Glock 20s and a Glock 40.  But the Glock 29 was just too small to fire full powered rounds comfortably.  I sold it and got another Glock 20.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, AmmoMan said:

I too had the Glock 29.  I love the 10mm round, and still have a few Glock 20s and a Glock 40.  But the Glock 29 was just too small to fire full powered rounds comfortably.  I sold it and got another Glock 20.

I may look for a 20 next. I do like the full size Glocks 

1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

I may look for a 20 next. I do like the full size Glocks 

I would highly recommend the pinky mag extension for all your Glock 29 mags.  It makes them a little longer and harder to conceal, but they help a lot:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006080934

Or they also make adapters that will mount on a Glock 20 mag to "convert" the 29 to the 20:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016672073/

The one downside to the adapters is that changing mags quickly tended to pinch my palm between the frame and the adapter.  If you want, I can see if I have any left over in my boxes of spare parts.  I *might* have included them when I sold my 29, but it was too long ago to remember!

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the hunt for another G29. This G29 hunt was cut short when money went to buy gasoline,  My G29 was sold some years back. I did shoot it and my G20 together.  Here, personally, it sure looks like there is some performance sacrifice is made using the smaller gun. This notion came from my loading and chronographing  10 mm rounds. Most data on the 10mm I have seen came from full size guns. 

If we continue to compare calibers the outcome will be a Derringer in 460 Weatherby caliber. The easy way to deal with caliber controversy is to get handguns in both calibers. That's one way to conclude these comparisons are goofy.

Edited by Mowgli Terry
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have both a 20 and a 29 in Glock 10mm. They both are fun to shoot, so I decided to try some full power rounds, I purchased the Buffalo Bore heavy bullets. In the 20, they were fine, just a bit snappy. In the 29, they were downright uncomfortable for these old arthritic hands. After we shot those two, we shot the 357sig glock with standard ammo. It was also very snappy with standard ammo. I had some Buffalo Bore for that one two, but myself and my son in law decided to not try the 357 sig in Buffalo Bore since the pistol was almost uncomfortably snappy with standard ammo.

Decided not to keep the 357 sig, it was just too uncomfortable, but do on occasions carry the 29, mainly in the winter where I have more clothes to conceal.

That was my experience, your mileage may vary!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, phiferran said:

Well, now I am also a new owner of a Glock 20. Vacationing up in the Smokies this week (camping) and ran across a good deal at Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo. Wife said Happy Anniversary and I scooped it up quickly!!!

If you weren't already married to her, I would suggest you propose immediately!!  😀

A right thinking lady like that shouldn't get away!