Back in Chattanooga

Hello everybody, moving back to Chattanooga after about 23 years away. Just retired out of the Army as a Green Beret and looking for good ranges/training facilities in TN to go get my gun on...NRA Pistol Instructor (lol) so it'd be nice to find a place that would allow me to teach some classes as well... Would love to hear recommendations. 

"Like to have's":

1000m+ unknown distance range w/barricade or non-belly-shooting obstacles available, 270+ degree shooting bays for movement, 100m zero range, night shooting opportunities, no Fudd RSO's that think their orange safety vest can check me for tax stamps or tell me to slow my rate of fire.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

-Dave

Welcome back to Tennessee. 

not sure on ranges around Chattanooga (I’m in Nashville) but if believe there are some longer ranges between Nashville and Chattanooga. I believe The Glock Store here in Nashville has shooting bays like what you are looking for.  

• Like 1

Just relocated to Chattanooga myself in January, and as far as I've been able to tell, every place that runs pistol classes has plenty of instructors already -- at least I can't find any that are interested in me.  🙂

Dead Zero Shooting Park has a 1,000-yard range and 100 yards for zeroing.  I believe they have occasional night shoots also.  For 270-degree bays you will probably need to go to Fort Bragg or Camp Lejeune -- I don't think there are any in TN.

Different clubs and ranges have their own rules and RSOs to enforce them, so you may need to look around and find some whose policies you like.  

Have fun,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper
  • Like 1

I've been up to Dead Zero for a visit and will hopefully be instructing there as a contractor with Tenet Group in the coming months. Awesome facility, for sure. They did a really good job setting that place up. I suppose I was hoping to find something a little closer to the 'noog. I'm not looking to spend hours in the car for recreational shooting. The further the drive, the less likely i am to go.

i’m in the ft bragg area now… surely there’s something closer to Chattanooga lol

Dave

Edited by DiverDave261
Edit
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 6:35 PM, DiverDave261 said:

Ii’m in the ft bragg area now… surely there’s something closer to Chattanooga lol

Dave

The only club close to Chat that has bays I know of is Montlake just outside Soddy. But don't believe they arent 270. They do Their rules seemed a bit more intense for a private club, havent been there. Not sure what their longest range is. I go To Chattanooga Rifle club and their longest standard range is 300yds, 500yds for special events only. No bays, one tactical course special events only. No firing from holster unless its during an event, which is my only real issue there. Great laid back club imo, but not for those that like tactical training.

Oak Ridge Gun Club has a 1000 yard range, but a lot of the other stuff you listed can be hard to find in private ranges that are (understandably) concerned about user safety and their insurance premiums haha. Best bet is to find a friend with land, that's what I'm trying to do currently.

Just saw you're in Chatt. so that would be quite a hike for you.

Edited by Chemgeo