Truck shopping sucks

I may have to hold off for 6 more months. People with Jeep rubicons are crazy. Toyota TRDs are outdated. Even 40k used vehicles are junk. Not one single dealer knew about black out kits or if they could download one into a truck. One was a 2018 rubicon for 44k that had 13 major paint issues and a tapping lifter. 

• Like 1

You can just say all vehicle shopping sucks. Looking to get either a cheap one for the youngest or a new for the wife so they can drive her old one..  Just started and already feel my legs being pulled off by the pricing..

• Like 1

Want a nicer truck myself. Current one just isn't getting it for me. Would really like to go the Toyota route, but I don't have enough blood to sell and pay for a truck!

Prices are the worst I've seen in years. About the only ones happy with the situation are the blankety-blank dealers! 

Sorry Magic(carpetrides), not personal. Just a generalization. lol

29 minutes ago, hipower said:

Want a nicer truck myself. Current one just isn't getting it for me. Would really like to go the Toyota route, but I don't have enough blood to sell and pay for a truck!

Prices are the worst I've seen in years. About the only ones happy with the situation are the blankety-blank dealers! 

Sorry Magic(carpetrides), not personal. Just a generalization. lol

I can't afford a $50,000 new truck so I bought a new Ford Maverick truck for $22,100. It's got a pretty small bed on it but I hauled a 10 ft stepladder home in it yesterday.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Eray said:

I can't afford a $50,000 new truck so I bought a new Ford Maverick truck for $22,100. It's got a pretty small bed on it but I hauled a 10 ft stepladder home in it yesterday.

Seen nothing but a pic of them so far. Looks good. Will it handle a 6x10 enclosed trailer?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, hipower said:

Seen nothing but a pic of them so far. Looks good. Will it handle a 6x10 enclosed trailer?

With EcoBoost engine you can get a 4,000 lb towing package. The hybrid is rated to tow 2,000 lbs. My little EcoBoost is rated at 250 HP. It will really take off. It's not as nice as a new F150 but it only costs half as much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In past threads on this subject I've already spoken about the problems my two sons both had when they needed new vehicles. It sucked for both of them. 🤬

For several years now I've been considering trading off my 2nd vehicle, a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, for something smaller and cheap on gas to use as an everyday driver. Thereby saving wear and tear on my pick-up and the cost of gas. But every time I start checking into it, I would end up getting royally screwed. That's just how the market is right now. 💩

• Like 3

I really lucked to about 5 years ago. I have a 35' RV and need a 2500 HD to pull it. I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD 4 door w/long bed, gas burner with a 6 liter engine. Was in Gatlinburg about 5 years ago and my son-in-law called and said a guy in Smyrna TN had a 2005 Duramax 2500 HD with a long bed and 4 door club cab for sale. He went on to explain it was in a fire in Pigeon Forge and the fire melted the front end and windshield and he could repair it for around 3000.00. It had 80,000 miles on it. I told him to get it and we purchased it for 7,200.00 as is. Cost me 3000.00 all totaled to get it in A 1 condition. Ended up with  10,200.00 in it and sold my 2001 for 7500.00. 

finally it cost me 2700.00 to trade up 4 years with 80,000 miles on it, and getting a Duramax Deiseal to boot. My best trade ever. I have put 50,000 miles on it, in the past 5 years, since purchasing it, and I could still get my money back and even make some profit if I sold it today. 

Edited to make correction. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

You’re absolutely right. Prices are the craziest I’ve ever seen. I’d love to go back to a Toyota, but I’m driving my 2005 Chevy Z71 until it goes down, and when it does I’ll go buy a new.......engine and transmission, and another Harley. And STILL have less hurt feelings than trying to buy a new truck. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two of the last three trucks we've bought came from the classifieds here on TGO. The third one came from a bank repo auction. Screw a dealer! Have some patience and watch Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and LSN.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

I'm keeping my 20 year old truck and my 10 year old RAV4. Absolutely nothing wrong with either one. 

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a high mileage Toyota truck. Even if you have to shell out a few grand for repairs it's still cheaper than buying new. Plenty of Tundras for sale on Facebook marketplace. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm keeping my 20 year old truck and my 10 year old RAV4. Absolutely nothing wrong with either one. 

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a high mileage Toyota truck. Even if you have to shell out a few grand for repairs it's still cheaper than buying new. Plenty of Tundras for sale on Facebook marketplace. 

You know I'm a Toyota guy.  Looked at several 200k+ Tundras before my last purchase and drove several that I would have never thought had that kind of mileage.  One of the downsides to a Toyota is that they are so durable that you will likely get tired of driving it before you wear it out.  We currently own two and I have owned others in the past.  The maintenance costs on all of them have been exceptionally low.  

I have a company vehicle that I put most of my miles on. I drive a 2001 Ford f150 and a 52 Studebaker as my personal vehicle. My Wife drive a NV3500. We don't need to carry the wheelchair as much as we have in the past. She needs something smaller she can run around from time to time and I need to replace an aging truck. I really need to let this chip shortage end.

I was all set to upgrade this year after holding off last year until things settled down. It appears I will keep holding off until 2023 or 2024. 
I have a low 2006 F150 with only 80k miles on it. It was not the truck I really wanted though as it is 2wd and the extended (supercab) not supercrew cab so no rear seat. I wanted the true 4 door, rear seat, and 4wd but I got this one so cheap I could not pass it up. It has served me well for a few years but I always thought it would be a temporary place holder. Now I am thinking of spending a bit more on some preventive maintenance, detailing, and some new tires to keep it going for another few years.

I have a car that gets decent mileage and will haul 4 people comfortably, 6 in a pinch, so I wanted to get rid of it and the F150 so I could replace two with one nice truck to cover all my needs but I refuse to pay $50k+ for a used truck and $60k+ for a new one. I have been seeing $40k+ for trucks with over 100k miles, just insane. 

1 hour ago, Alleycat72 said:

She needs something smaller she can run around from time to time and I need to replace an aging truck.

So are you looking for a smaller truck or just a small vehicle of some kind?

16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

So are you looking for a smaller truck or just a small vehicle of some kind?

It needs to be 4 door. There are 7 of us, but we are never all in the same vehicle at the same time. The new truck/suv will need to seat 5. It will primarily be my vehicle. I'll need room for guns and gear for the Texas trips I take 5-6 times a year. I don't know if you've ever looked at a NV3500, but everything is smaller compared to it. It's a good van though. She's tired of parking that boat every time she needs to just run to town while I'm with the kids. 

21 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

It needs to be 4 door. There are 7 of us, but we are never all in the same vehicle at the same time. The new truck/suv will need to seat 5. It will primarily be my vehicle. I'll need room for guns and gear for the Texas trips I take 5-6 times a year. I don't know if you've ever looked at a NV3500, but everything is smaller compared to it. It's a good van though. She's tired of parking that boat every time she needs to just run to town while I'm with the kids. 

I would look at a used Lexus GX470 or GX460. The 460's are newer and a little bigger. The 470 has the legendary 4.7L V8 which has been documented to go 1 million miles a few times now. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1054011635214955/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/469057814965331/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

• Like 1

Good luck in your search. I’m currently driving a 2013 Ram Laramie 4x4 with only 87,000 miles on it.  Collierville CDR hounds me weekly trying to buy it for just under $30k.  I won’t be selling. The new trucks are nice, but not nice enough to pay current prices. Hell, it may take me another five years to hit 90k miles unless I take some short trips out of town. I wouldn’t want to be in the market for any large purchases at the moment. 

@Erik88my wife thinks she’s going to get a 460 so I can chauffeur her around while she works, but she’s sadly mistaken. Or maybe I am. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Admin Team

One of my clients who is pretty in the know and owns more than a dozen dealerships says that they are preparing for war footing when it comes to the chip shortage (and carryon supply chain issues) through at least the end of 2023.

When I last spoke to them, they only had 56 new vehicles across the entirety of their lots.

On a different note - we bought my wife a Kia Telluride - because we need a third row that’s actually usable by someone who’s older than 3. I can’t say enough good things about it.  She drove a Land Cruiser and a Sequoia and it beat both of them out by a lot.  The Land Cruiser cost almost twice as much. 

• Like 2

I've never been happier to move or mow/trim around the yard of vehicles I have as well as keep them insured despite only driving most of them "when needed". And to think I had an older Duramax listed for sale and couldn't give it away around March of 2020. Pfff, damn thing is worth gold right now lol.

Good luck to anyone in the hunt right now as prices are as swollen AF.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Eray said:

What do you think  about the Maverick?  Do you still like it?  How is it size size  inside?  Does it have all the tech?