Truck shopping sucks

2 hours ago, Defender said:

What do you think  about the Maverick?  Do you still like it?  How is it size size  inside?  Does it have all the tech?

It has loads of room inside. Four people are very comfortable in it. Only thing I have noticed is the engine seems a little loud. I guess a $22,000 truck does not have a lot of sound insulation. I bought the plain XL model because it was so much cheaper. When you get into the XLT and Lariat models they have all the bells and whistles of the large trucks. Even the XL model has remote start from you phone. Check your tire pressure and fuel gauge from your phone. My EcoBoost has been getting between 29 and 30 miles per gallon.

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

• Like 2

In October last year I ordered a 2022 Toyota Tacoma. I recieved the Tacoma in December 2 months later. It's my "retirerment" truck since I am pretty close to retiring from my primary job. I wanted a simple reliable truck and this was the last true simple truck left on the market and I'll tell you why : It's a 4 door truck with  real frame rails and body , the engine will stay on until I turn the key off. It doesnt turn on and off at stop lights like those other truck. It has a regular gasoline engine that breathes on it's own and doesnt have a stupid turbo charger that will fail later. All cylinders run and it doesn't have that crazy system that  shuts off some cylinders to save fuel. All that extra junk like turbo chargers , stopping and starting the engine at red lights , and cylinder shut downs will eventually wear out and wear the engine out. My 2022 Tacoma was $29,600.  Also there was no "market adjustment" either like lots of other dealers are doing. I paid the factory sticker price that I listed  and that was all. No added bull crap no added charges at all. I know a few years ago you would talk dealers down from the sticker but no more. Trucks and cars are in high demand and dealers are adding these " market adjustment" stickers on them. The dealer I went to was one of the very few dealers that dont add that mess . I'm pleased. The only thing I dont like is the new 6 speed automatic transmission. It likes to shift a lot and it doesnt have a dipstick. I like the old 4 speed automatic better but those are long gone.  I meant no offense to any truck owners with the fancy bells and whistles , I just prefer a simple truck with no fancy things on it. 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

In October last year I ordered a 2022 Toyota Tacoma. I recieved the Tacoma in December 2 months later. It's my "retirerment" truck since I am pretty close to retiring from my primary job. I wanted a simple reliable truck and this was the last true simple truck left on the market and I'll tell you why : It's a 4 door truck with  real frame rails and body , the engine will stay on until I turn the key off. It doesnt turn on and off at stop lights like those other truck. It has a regular gasoline engine that breathes on it's own and doesnt have a stupid turbo charger that will fail later. All cylinders run and it doesn't have that crazy system that  shuts off some cylinders to save fuel. All that extra junk like turbo chargers , stopping and starting the engine at red lights , and cylinder shut downs will eventually wear out and wear the engine out. My 2022 Tacoma was $29,600.  Also there was no "market adjustment" either like lots of other dealers are doing. I paid the factory sticker price that I listed  and that was all. No added bull crap no added charges at all. I know a few years ago you would talk dealers down from the sticker but no more. Trucks and cars are in high demand and dealers are adding these " market adjustment" stickers on them. The dealer I went to was one of the very few dealers that dont add that mess . I'm pleased. The only thing I dont like is the new 6 speed automatic transmission. It likes to shift a lot and it doesnt have a dipstick. I like the old 4 speed automatic better but those are long gone.  I meant no offense to any truck owners with the fancy bells and whistles , I just prefer a simple truck with no fancy things on it. 

Congrats on the new truck and impending retirement. Your old Tacoma is still running like a song.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Congrats on the new truck and impending retirement. Your old Tacoma is still running like a song.

Awesome to hear. The only thing on these newer Tacomas I dont like is the transmissions being sealed and not having a dip stick. Supposedly the fluid is "lifetime" but I am still going to change it at certain intervals . There are ways to do it. After I sold you my older one , we were able to get by with our other cars and save up and payed off a lot of student loans and such , so thanks for buying it . I miss it but it's in good hands. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

That was my one complaint about my 2016 Tacoma - it liked to hunt for the gear it wanted more than I cared for in the normal Eco mode.  I forget what the other mode was called that moved the shift point to a higher RPM, but that seemed I solve it. 

• Like 1
On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, Erik88 said:

I would look at a used Lexus GX470 or GX460. The 460's are newer and a little bigger. The 470 has the legendary 4.7L V8 which has been documented to go 1 million miles a few times now. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1054011635214955/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/469057814965331/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

GX460s are great, I love mine. Gas mileage averages about 16-18 for me though. Can get 20 or 21 on the highway if you keep it under 70.

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Private sale for the win!!!

I agree, i have bought so many vehicles off craigslist or now marketplace.  If you can find one owner vehicles and you meet the people and can tell what kind of care they took of it.  I have had such great luck but i also drive older vehicles and not into any of the newer stuff, not just because i can't afford them lol. Ten years ago, i bought a honda civic that got 40 plus mpg for $2200 with 200K miles and now its at 385K and i sware i have done basically nothing to it and i was using it for a courier job where i drove it 250+ miles a day, every single day.  I haven't driven it much in the last year, but i would drive it anywhere.  Plus it's a classic now and getting fairly valuable.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Gunner2k said:

I agree, i have bought so many vehicles off craigslist or now marketplace.  If you can find one owner vehicles and you meet the people and can tell what kind of care they took of it.  I have had such great luck but i also drive older vehicles and not into any of the newer stuff, not just because i can't afford them lol. Ten years ago, i bought a honda civic that got 40 plus mpg for $2200 with 200K miles and now its at 385K and i sware i have done basically nothing to it and i was using it for a courier job where i drove it 250+ miles a day, every single day.  I haven't driven it much in the last year, but i would drive it anywhere.  Plus it's a classic now and getting fairly valuable.

We drive worn out junk exclusively, and have had great luck with it so far. I prefer to use the money elsewhere.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

We drive worn out junk exclusively, and have had great luck with it so far. I prefer to use the money elsewhere.

Me toooooo.......... I have a chevy truck with 300k on it and its been awesome too........I do have an admitted car addiction so i have self banned myself from marketplace for a while.......I get them, and get attached to them and then don't ever want to get rid of them.......but i tell you what this gasoline with ethanol additive has eaten up 4 fuel pumps in cars i let sit for a little while......letting em sit even for shorter time periods, isn't like it used to be. 

I get it. I've owned two primary vehicles since I graduated high school in 1992. Both were almost free because they were undesirable, but reliable.  I have a vehicle that work provides. Any nice vehicle I've gotten, has been for my Wife and it needed to be able to carry a wheelchair. My Wife and kids always came first. Yes I have a 700 hp Studebaker and that was always an excuse for me to drive "junkie" trucks. I just turned 49 and I can afford what I want without the family being put in a bind. Frankly I'm the one limiting the price and I've wanted a nice truck for 10 years now.  I'm in a position of being able to afford it and I'm trying to justify it to myself. I hate having to use the Wife's vehicle if I need to drive over 2 hours. 

I hate that is happening to you right now.  It's just a really bad timing.  I hope that the right thing comes along for you i really do.  That Studebaker sounds awesome.  700hp......Awesome......what year is it and do you happen to have a picture?

I just broke down and bought a new small economy truck. New Ford Maverick. 250HP EcoBoost, Automatic, Air, Electric Windows and Locks, Remote Start. 1,500 LB Payload. Less than $25,000 out the door with all taxes and fees included. I never buy used vehicles because I got a few with problems when I was younger. So, with me retired now I could not afford a new $50,000 truck. I've had this one 10 months now and so far am happy with it.

IMG_2594.JPG

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Eray said:

I just broke down and bought a new small economy truck. New Ford Maverick. 250HP EcoBoost, Automatic, Air, Electric Windows and Locks, Remote Start. 1,500 LB Payload. Less than $25,000 out the door with all taxes and fees included. I never buy used vehicles because I got a few with problems when I was younger. So, with me retired now I could not afford a new $50,000 truck. I've had this one 10 months now and so far am happy with it.

IMG_2594.JPG

That sounds like a really good price for anything new and a great fit for you Eray.  Not bad looking either and i have seen a few out on the roads, seems like a wise buy for the consumer.  I was reading above about some of the things you can do with your phone, that's pretty neat.  I have a friend with an older honda passport seems like a similar vehicle, i always liked his.....kind of an SUV but still has a bed to do truck stuff with.

12 hours ago, Gunner2k said:

I hate that is happening to you right now.  It's just a really bad timing.  I hope that the right thing comes along for you i really do.  That Studebaker sounds awesome.  700hp......Awesome......what year is it and do you happen to have a picture?

FB_IMG_1628857704826.jpg

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 5
19 hours ago, Eray said:

IMG_2594.JPG

you need wheels

On 10/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, Gunner2k said:

That sounds like a really good price for anything new and a great fit for you Eray.  Not bad looking either and i have seen a few out on the roads, seems like a wise buy for the consumer.  I was reading above about some of the things you can do with your phone, that's pretty neat.  I have a friend with an older honda passport seems like a similar vehicle, i always liked his.....kind of an SUV but still has a bed to do truck stuff with.

The passport is a straight up wagon body. The ridgeline is the model with the bed.  

• Administrator
On 10/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, Alleycat72 said:

I'm still looking.  It sucks, but I may end up with a Chevy trail boss with the 3.0 duramax turbo-diesel. I know some guys with them and the worst fuel mileage was 29 mpg. 700 miles on a single tank. I will be doing my research. 

My Trail Boss was the worst decision I ever made.  The turbo-diesel version may be slightly better but I'd rather let you kick me in the crotch than me ever take another chance on one of those.