Truck shopping sucks

20 minutes ago, TGO David said:

My Trail Boss was the worst decision I ever made.  The turbo-diesel version may be slightly better but I'd rather let you kick me in the crotch than me ever take another chance on one of those.

LOL

I've got about 100 hours in one on the way back and forth to Texas. Biggest issue we've had was it's ability to break windshields. He did change the tires out almost immediately. What issues did you have? The 4,6,8 engine software is junk. (The sticking lifters) I don't think the 3.0l duramax has that. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

LOL

I've got about 100 hours in one on the way back and forth to Texas. Biggest issue we've had was it's ability to break windshields. He did change the tires out almost immediately. What issues did you have? The 4,6,8 engine software is junk. (The sticking lifters) I don't think the 3.0l duramax has that. 

I had the 6.2L and it was a POS.  Less than 100 miles and 1-day of ownership, the power steering pump failed.  Of course there was a national backorder and they estimated 6-8 weeks for a part.  I raised incredible hell in the middle of their showroom and they magically found a steering pump for me.  Probably robbed it off of another truck.

Two weeks later the rear window began leaking.  The "fix" for that was to silicone the hell out of it.  It kept leaking.  They finally replaced the whole window.  Then, as the weather got colder the rear window shattered.  They replaced it again and of course it started leaking almost immediately.  It took them THREE rear windows to get it sealed properly.

Then we had to fight them over the headliner being water damaged.  Yet another repair.

And then the lifters started to fail.  Another 6-8 weeks of waiting on parts and they would only replace the lifters on the bank that was having problems despite the fact that everyone knew the other bank would go soon.  And it did.

I traded the truck at that point.

16 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

The passport is a straight up wagon body. The ridgeline is the model with the bed.  

Total mistake on my part i meant the Ridgeline......thanks for pointing that out.  I did have a buddy with a 93 Passport in high school though and it was a good vehicle.   Actually i am wrong again, it was an Isuzu Rodeo, but i believe that was mostly a rebadged Passport.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gunner2k said:

Total mistake on my part i meant the Ridgeline......thanks for pointing that out.  I did have a buddy with a 93 Passport in high school though and it was a good vehicle.   Actually i am wrong again, it was an Isuzu Rodeo, but i believe that was mostly a rebadged Passport.

Other way around.  The Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.  It was a partnership that lasted about a decade where Honda gave Isuzu a car to rebrand and Isuzu gave Honda an suv.   

On 5/1/2022 at 9:50 PM, Eray said:

I can't afford a $50,000 new truck so I bought a new Ford Maverick truck for $22,100. It's got a pretty small bed on it but I hauled a 10 ft stepladder home in it yesterday.

How do you like it?  Is it roomy inside?

2 hours ago, Defender said:

How do you like it?  Is it roomy inside?

It doesn't really feel like a small truck while driving it. I went from an F-150 that I bought new in 2009 to the Maverick. The hood is squared up and the truck feels much wider than it looks. I have owned two new Ford Rangers in years past and the Maverick feels like it has much more room than a Ranger. The only complaint that I have so far is engine noise. It just seems to me that the turbocharged 4 cylinder engine has more whine to it than 4 cylinders that I have owned it the past. That being said it is a powerhouse. If I accidentally step on it too hard it will definitely spin the tires. I am 5' 11" and have plenty of headroom with my hat on. The backseat clears my knees with about 4 inches to spare. It is plenty comfortable for 4 people. I have hauled two new boxed up recliners in the back. Also an oak desk and a 10" step ladder. If you don't really need a truck but then again sometimes you do, this might be the answer. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Eray said:

The backseat clears my knees with about 4 inches to spare. It is plenty comfortable for 4 people. I have hauled two new boxed up recliners in the back. Also an oak desk and a 10" step ladder. If you don't really need a truck but then again sometimes you do, this might be the answer. 

I am convinced that Ford has made a deal with the devil when it comes to legroom in the rear seating positions.  They manage to squeeze out far more knee room and head room back there than any other manufacturer.  My 2011 Raptor was like the damned Tardis inside.  Passengers couldn't believe how much room they had in the back seat.

I miss that truck.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I am convinced that Ford has made a deal with the devil when it comes to legroom in the rear seating positions.  They manage to squeeze out far more knee room and head room back there than any other manufacturer.  My 2011 Raptor was like the damned Tardis inside.  Passengers couldn't believe how much room they had in the back seat.

I miss that truck.

And the flat back seat floor was game changing too!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

I miss that truck.

58 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

And the flat back seat floor was game changing too!

And the back seat that doesn't fold down, but it doo.

• Haha 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Authorized Vendor

Truck prices are crazy. I needed a truck for work so I was buying a nearly new truck every 2-3 years and putting insane miles on it. Now being retired has open up a more laid back approach and this old thing I went thru giving it new motor, trans, brakes, lines, hoses, wiring harness and other stuff. I spent maybe 10K and have an every day driver that I'm not afraid to drive anywhere. I went to Texas not long ago with no problem. A/C worked great.

One of my two squarebodys...

5156d209893ed65634277ba0ac2fc1c8.jpg

• Like 8

That is one clean square body. I've been slowly replacing parts on my 2007.5 6.7 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel, bought it new in 07 with 23mi on the od it now has 280,250mi on it. New Transmission at 186,000, front end totally done about six months just need to have the front bearings looked at, got a new water pump and oil cooler and belt that I'll try to install in a couple of weeks, just had the rear brakes and rotors replaced yesterday believe it or not the rears had about 180,000mi on them and just started squeaking last week, the Engine Exhaust Brake makes a difference. Now my AC Compressor took a crap the other day so I'll need to replace it soon, vechile prices are just crazy I looked at some at the end of 2022 and the same style of truck I have was $68,700 base price let alone the extras brought it up to $72,000+ and they had four used ones with 80,000-110,000mi on them and they still wanted more than I paid new for mine. Crazy I don't see how they are selling anything at these prices but I guess some just have to have the newest model, me I'll keep doing basic maintenance on mine till it just won't go any further then haul it to the scrap yard. 

Edited by DJTC45

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra, with 207K. We just took it to Mrytle Beach last weekend and we pull a camper about once a month with it, for craft shows. I notice when it's cold, that the transmission tends to hesitate. My wife and I were talking about it replacing it in a couple of years, but with prices the way they are, we may just put a new transmission in in and keep it. I retire in the next 7 years, and I cannot for the life of me see spending $60+ grand on a new truck!  It's just ridiculous!!!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

Well the search is over.......and the winner it

20230429-183646.jpg

Nice!  I am in a position where I don’t NEED a truck, I just WANT one.  Wife kinda wants my larger SUV so was gonna sell her smaller SUV and get neva truck.  Finally decided on a fire maverick after seeing the prices on bigger trucks.  The maverick is outrageous new and used.  Plus dealers are adding 5k on top of sticker price just because. I decided to just keep my perfectly fine SUV.

2 minutes ago, Defender said:

Nice!  I am in a position where I don’t NEED a truck, I just WANT one.  Wife kinda wants my larger SUV so was gonna sell her smaller SUV and get neva truck.  Finally decided on a fire maverick after seeing the prices on bigger trucks.  The maverick is outrageous new and used.  Plus dealers are adding 5k on top of sticker price just because. I decided to just keep my perfectly fine SUV.

My Wife got a 2018 Toyota Sequoia around a year ago. She really likes it, but we had a Nissan NV3500 for a trade. We had to get the Jeep outright. Kinda painful. LOL. Now I've got to sell the old truck. I'm not looking forward to that. 

I went shopping with me Son-in-law for a new truck and I almost passed out from sticker shock. I don't do a lot of driving anymore and I have a 1996 4.0 Jeep Cherokee that my mechanic son rebuilt for me about 8 years ago from bumper to bumper and it still runs and drives like a new one and everything on it works so I plan on driving it till I am dead. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moped said:

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra, with 207K. We just took it to Mrytle Beach last weekend and we pull a camper about once a month with it, for craft shows. I notice when it's cold, that the transmission tends to hesitate. My wife and I were talking about it replacing it in a couple of years, but with prices the way they are, we may just put a new transmission in in and keep it. I retire in the next 7 years, and I cannot for the life of me see spending $60+ grand on a new truck!  It's just ridiculous!!!

You could always try servicing the transmission first if it's never been done. I do drain+fills on my 2002 Tundra transmission. 4 quarts out, 4 in. 

I just drove my 2002 to Arizona and back. Never selling it. 

IMG_20230424_135754507_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax 6 years ago. it was in a fire in Gatlingburg and melted the front end. Purchased it AS IS and my son-in-law repaired the damage and had it painted. Paid 7,200.00 and cost me 3,00.00 to get it repaired. The truck had 80,000 on it. We use it to pull an 35' 5th wheel RV. It is a club cab with the 8' bed. Very long wheel base and it sails down the interstate like a big ship. Very stable on the road. Only thing I have done to it is change oil and drive it. 

I lucked out. My son in law said with the 130,000 miles on it now, it is now broken in good. The body is still in very good condition.  I laughingly refer to it as my Land Yat. Hope to head out west at least one more time. 

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

You could always try servicing the transmission first if it's never been done. I do drain+fills on my 2002 Tundra transmission. 4 quarts out, 4 in. 

I just drove my 2002 to Arizona and back. Never selling it. 

IMG_20230424_135754507_HDR.jpg

It has a sealed transmission (pain in the ass) and has never been changed as far as I know. I bought it with 129K on it. But I think I will have it serviced and just have the fluid drained (not pressure flushed) and see if that helps. 

44 minutes ago, Moped said:

It has a sealed transmission (pain in the ass) and has never been changed as far as I know. I bought it with 129K on it. But I think I will have it serviced and just have the fluid drained (not pressure flushed) and see if that helps. 

I hate that they call it "lifetime" fluid. It's not. Good call on not having it flushed. Drain and fill is safer but keep in mind that only gets out 1/3 of the old fluid. That's why I did a series of drain and fills over the course of a thousand miles or so. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I hate that they call it "lifetime" fluid. It's not. Good call on not having it flushed. Drain and fill is safer but keep in mind that only gets out 1/3 of the old fluid. That's why I did a series of drain and fills over the course of a thousand miles or so. 

I wondered about doing that...