catch and cook, asian carp !! ??

ok, i live 7 miles from Cheatham Dam was there today and i timed myself, took me 16 minutes to have 100 pounds ( 7 fish) of asian carp in my boat, there has to be a way to clean and cook these things, i have been doing some reseach on deboning them and all, its a good looking white meat, a clean fish to not a bottom feeder, i just think its an unlimited supply of meat that needs to be used, any ideals

Edited by dpkdavis

Fillet them, cut the meat into chunks and fry it. It’s worth a shot. I’ve tried drums, and they’re about as good as any other fish.

If you don’t find that palatable, try cooking some in a pressure cooker, then making it into Pattie’s using a salmon patty recipe.

A quick google search shows a plethora of Asian carp recipes.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Admin Team

They’re a good eating fish - but they take some work to learn to clean.

They’ve got a pronounced blood line. Remove that unless you like a really strong fish taste.

I usually just filet them and pick through the y-bones by hand.  Sometimes I clean them by scraping the meat from the filets with a spoon and making croquets.  

When they were running with the hybrids below Priest Dam most folks were keeping them and said great eating. I seen a special on TV saying the Govt is opening a facility to process and give to shelters and cut back the numbers.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, YeseniaHarper said:

Incredibly, I've never been lucky enough to catch something so big. How did you do it at all?

Catching them is not good, you don't want them in your waters. Usually you end up snagging them while fishing for something else. I caught a bunch below Clinton lake in Illinois  a few years back ripping a blade bait below the dam for Hybrids. It was every cast and they were huge.

Suppose you understand all the benefits of recreation in the fresh air. In that case, so that more often to travel to nature or the sea, you will need to do only one thing - without extreme patience and hesitation to get out of the chair, pack a small snack in your bag and go on vacation. To avoid missing walks and not frustrate plans for a vacation in the fresh air, it is important to plan the time. If you are going to leave, try to free up the day completely for this, having made all the necessary calls the day before and answering all the emails that came to you. Otherwise, you risk encountering another "urgent" business or household issue, and the trip will be disrupted again. My family and I go out once a week. We roast steaks on a skillet we bought at https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L  It makes a great smoky flavor to the meat.

Edited by DrakeLang
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, DrakeLang said:

Suppose you understand all the benefits of recreation in the fresh air. In that case, so that more often to travel to nature or the sea, you will need to do only one thing - without extreme patience and hesitation to get out of the chair, pack a small snack in your bag and go on vacation.

Biden is that you?

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...

There is an IGA store not far from me that sells it.  I decided to buy a pound.  I think it was $5 to $6 a pound.  They were strips.  They were relatively tasteless.  Even more so than a tilapia so its real easy to over season.  If I caught some, I would consider trying to fillet it and eat it.  If nothing else, bury it in your garden for fertilizer.