Optics need suggestions

My nephew just finished building a AR with an A3 upper, and NO it is not a ghost gun.  I have never used anything but iron sights.  Would anyone care to suggest an optics system that would go well with an AR?  

Sorry, but I don’t know the ‘lingo’,  what does ‘ipvo’ mean?  I have been looking at some of the suggestions and comments, lots of good and bad comments.  Heck, what does the military use?  This will be my one and done optic.  Iron sights are bullet proof and with the weapons I own, I’ll dig them out if necessary(see my handle).  Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

39 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

Sorry, but I don’t know the ‘lingo’,  what does ‘ipvo’ mean?  I have been looking at some of the suggestions and comments, lots of good and bad comments.  Heck, what does the military use?  This will be my one and done optic.  Iron sights are bullet proof and with the weapons I own, I’ll dig them out if necessary(see my handle).  Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

it's a L not I.  Low Powered Variable Optic

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

For a range gun, 3gun, plinking or even home defense that doesn't break the bank, the Sig Romeo5 is hard to beat. It’s just a simple red dot that comes on when you pick it up.

I also have and really like the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. Gives you a 1 power red dot or up to 4x magnification. Great optic for an AR 

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

My goodness, with the names these manufacturers give to their optics, one would think they were hypersonic missiles. I’m still looking as I’m a pilgrim at this and there are a lot of options.  Years ago I had a Smith & Bender with a huge tube I picked up at Knob Creek..  I liked the post setup, but again I’m am an iron sight guy.  The military like  Aimpoint Pro Red Dot.  Then there is the Vortex Optics Crossfire 1-4x24.  Your options please.

21 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

My goodness, with the names these manufacturers give to their optics, one would think they were hypersonic missiles. I’m still looking as I’m a pilgrim at this and there are a lot of options.  Years ago I had a Smith & Bender with a huge tube I picked up at Knob Creek..  I liked the post setup, but again I’m am an iron sight guy.  The military like  Aimpoint Pro Red Dot.  Then there is the Vortex Optics Crossfire 1-4x24.  Your options please.

LOL

I run a N-vision NOX 35mm on a dedicated night gun. Everyone asks and assumes it's a larger red dot. I have learned that it's wise not to educate them. Everything in the nightvision world sounds like it's out of Buck Rogers. 

2 hours ago, Beltfed said:

If you're looking at a 1-4, take a look at one of these & don't be put off by the bottom dollar price point. 

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-4x24mm-illuminated-riflescope-pa14x

Hands down better than the Vortex. Better glass, better reticle, fantastic illumination (ie: not bright enough to wash out or flare) absolutely BOMB proof build & reliability (I've got 3 & 2 of them have taken ungodly abuse over the years) they just do not lose zero. Ever drop a scoped gun & had to re-zero? Not with these. My .308 fell off my tailgate onto a gravel driveway. Banged up the scope badly & it STILL shoots to point of aim. 

• Like 1

Aim Point Pro, Leupold, Vortex, and a few others that market towards the AR. I prefer the Aim Point brand, I had a AimPoint Pro that offered quick shots at 30yrds or less, and it was capable of 100yrd. groups.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

what wrong with a ghost gun?

It's a non existent, pinko, leftist buzz-term that has no actual meaning, coined by an ignoramus on camera.... making himself & everyone after associated with the term look like a clueless nerk? *shrugs 

• Like 3
  • Moderators

I use both red dots and LPVOs, but I think the first question that should’ve been asked is what’s your budget?

We can throw out suggestions from bottom dollar to more expensive than diamonds. But if you tell us what you’re looking to spend, then we can find you the best quality optic in your price range.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.  Price range…up to around $500.00.

As far as ghost guns go,  I don’t like the ATF sticking their nose in my business more than anyone else.  But God forbid, if I was involved in a shooting with one, I think someone be it the police or a federal agency would step on my neck.  This is off topic and I’m done.

Edited by Beltfed
  • Moderators

If you’re of the mind for an LPVO, I’d look hard at this one. 

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm-ffp-illuminated-rifle-scope-with-acss-raptor-556-reticle-black

The reticle is one of my favorite and they make a surprisingly solid optic for the price point. The glass is pretty decent and it’s fairly rugged. I may sound halfhearted in my description, but I’m not really. I’m a snob who generally buys glass that’s 3-5x the price of this so my expectations are proportionately higher as well. For the <$500 budget, these are an excellent choice. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

It's a non existent, pinko, leftist buzz-term that has no actual meaning, coined by an ignoramus on camera.... making himself & everyone after associated with the term look like a clueless nerk? *shrugs 

Ultra MAGA is the lefts new buss word🤣

3 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Ultra MAGA is the lefts new buss word🤣

No, those are the words of an aging man who is obviously in decline, but heads and shoulders above the racist traitor/insurrectionist  that previously held the same office. 

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

No, those are the words of an aging man who is obviously in decline, but heads and shoulders above the racist traitor/insurrectionist  that previously held the same office. 

I wouldn’t say he’s heads and shoulders above Obama. About even 

• Haha 1