Colt 1911 70 series (older)

The only thing you can tell from that picture is it’s probably a Colt 1911, maybe a basic Government model...and that someone ruined a perfectly good dictionary that they could probably use, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 4

I’m not a Colt guy so I’ll not opine too much, but this is just a commercial Colt 1911 from the ‘70’s.  It is not an “old military” model.  They stopped making those in 1945 if we’re talking USGI.

It being a Colt adds $ for the simple fact that is has the Colt name on it.

• Like 1

That one has the large letter roll mark, bluing looks good from the pics. do you know if it was refinished or orginal. How much does he want for it, I've seen them go for as low as $900-$1500+ for ones with the original finish, does he have the orginal Colt Box, and paperwork. Looks in good shape also does it have a Collett Bbl. Bushing.

The trigger and MSH have been replaced.You might use that as a bargaining point. I’ve owned a Gold Cup,2 Series 70 GMs and 4 1991A1s over the years and all worked perfectly and were accurate as well.

Many people consider the Colt Series 70 to be the peak of the 1911. Excellent quality, beautiful finish  and great shooters. They are very desirable. 

The trigger might have been replaced. The MSH was definitely replaced as these came with an arched housing. The big question is does it have the collet type barrel bushing? The 70 Series Government Model should have one. If you're unfamiliar with them, this type bushing has slots cut in it and grips the barrel a bit snugger via spring type action. It greatly improves accuracy, but can be troublesome. If one of the ears breaks off, it can tie up the gun and is a major PITA to get the slide off to repair.  Usually requiring a lot of cussing and a big hammer. 😵 However, the problem isn't near as common as the internet would have you think. A properly fitted collet bushing will improve accuracy and last forever. The issue seems to result from poorly fitted bushings at the factory. Some people choose not to take chances and simply replace the bushing with a solid one. My own Series 70 GM and GC  both still have the original collet bushings in them and shoot great! 👍

Colt prices are all over the map these days. Original Series 70 guns are especially wild. Best guess, $1200 -1500. But could be as high as $2000.  What's the asking price? 

9vNmIGQ.jpg

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

Yep, my MkIV series 70 has it. Was nickel, carried it in the early 80's.... Paid $275 brand new. Had some wear on it from carrying it. Wanted to get it re-nickeled but that is a lost and expensive art. So was recommended hard chrome. Did some fine tuning and it's a great gun. Looks like new.