Don't Be THIS Guy...

(Disclaimer: This conversation came from an Armslist ad but I have encountered it dozens of times over the years across professional and private engagements)

I've been in the gun game for over twenty years.  I've heard it all.  Nothing irks me more than a potential buyer playing the Wife Card.  Having worked in a few gun shops, we'd always harbor nothing but contempt for guys who would stand there, fondle a firearm, and say, "Boy, I'd love to buy it right now but...my wife would kill me!" And then they'd chuckle and scurry off.  "RUN AWAY!  RUN AWAAAYYY!!!"

It happens in private transactions too.  Below are screenshots of a text conversation I had earlier today with "Steve", one of the many beta males who populate the gun culture now and who lacks the stones to just be honest and say, "Thanks but I've changed my mind; I'm going to hold out for a better deal."  Instead, they throw their wives under the bus and then cancel at the last second because of a call-in to "work".

For you males (not "men") who use your wives as a scapegoat, understand that A) we know you're a lying coward, and B) just put your wife on the phone so that we can speak to the "man" of the house; maybe she can pinch off that extra bit of cash that your lowball offer needs to be respectful of the negotiation process.  Wouldn't want you to choke on that bell-collar she keeps you on; those desiccated chickpeas you call testicles that she keeps in a pouch around her neck might get crushed when you strain that short leash.

TL;DR...Don't play the wife card, gentlemen.  Chances are your wife doesn't know, doesn't care, and would rather you just buy the damn thing so that she won't have to hear about it anymore.  Just be a man and say "Thanks but no thanks."  It's not hard to be honest.

The gun culture just isn't what it used to be; now they'll let anybody in.

IMG_0651.PNG

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.PNG

2 minutes ago, LEANDER said:

TL;DR...Don't play the wife card, gentlemen.  Chances are your wife doesn't know, doesn't care, and would rather you just buy the damn thing so that she won't have to hear about it anymore.  Just be a man and say "Thanks but no thanks."  It's not hard to be honest.

I always cringe when people talk about their wife like this. It makes me wonder what sort of marriage they have. My wife and I discuss purchases like adults and always come to some sort of agreement. In 11 years the only thing my wife has asked me not to buy is a motorcycle. 

The guy in that conversation is just a selfish idiot. I hate dealing with people like that. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Erik88 said:

I always cringe when people talk about their wife like this. It makes me wonder what sort of marriage they have. My wife and I discuss purchases like adults and always come to some sort of agreement. In 11 years the only thing my wife has asked me not to buy is a motorcycle. 

The guy in that conversation is just a selfish idiot. I hate dealing with people like that. 

As much as I too want a motorcycle, the Lord has provided you with a good woman to talk you out of it.

And yeah, these are low class, weak character dregs of society who pull this crap.  Especially when the asking price is fair and I'm willing to come down $100.  If you're going to offer a lower amount, respect the seller enough to negotiate in the middle with their counteroffer, you know?  These things don't eat....

A man is only as good as his word.  If he needs his wife’s permission to use it or make other excuses to weasel out of an agreement then what do we have?

I believe the woke folk call it “gender dysphoria”.  😛

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

One of best ads I ever saw went something like this:

Motorcycle for sale, like new, apparently when your wife says "do whatever the eff you want," she doesn't really mean it.

I'm approved to buy whatever I want, assuming I have squirreled away the cash to to buy it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When my wife was still with us, she didn't care. As long as the bills got paid, there was food on the table and the kids didn't have to do without, she never said a word if I bought something I wanted. It worked the same for her. I didn't really care much about what she bought because I knew she would be responsible about it. 

Sadly, in our "woke" world, women have become bullies and men have become wimps. 🤬 But worse is the man who chickens out and blames his wife. He has no respect for her or himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve decided that if you are buying from me, you are coming to me…with cash. I will afford you the same courtesy if you are the seller. I will be there at the agreed upon time unless something beyond my control prevents it, in which case I will notify you immediately.

I cannot understand why this is so hard for people to do. It only takes a small bit of respect for your fellow man.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Damn, talk about similarities. My wife and I are the same way. We discuss major purchases together to agree. The only thing she's checked me on was I was literally 5 minutes from the Harley Davidson stealership when she finally told me that she didn't want me to buy a motorcycle. I got really pissed about her not telling me her true feelings up front as I value complete honesty between us both. I called the dealership and simply cancelled the purchase. By the time that I got back home I calmed down enough to realize that she witnessed me nearly dying at Beech Bend's 1/4 mile drag strip in my GT500 just a few years before, and the worry she'd have about me on a V-rod on the city streets was immensely greater. Not that she didn't trust me, she didn't trust the other drivers on the street.

After my Id, (a Freudian reference), got use to the idea of not having the motorcycle I was glad that I didn't buy it. I had a motorcycle while in the Marine Corps stationed in Kommiefornia where motorcycles are ubiquitous, but here the car and truck drivers do not look for motorcycles very well because they are not ubiquitous.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Damn, talk about similarities. My wife and I are the same way. We discuss major purchases together to agree. The only thing she's checked me on was I was literally 5 minutes fro the Harley Davidson stealership when she finally told me that she didn't want me to buy a motorcycle. I got really pissed about her not telling me her true feelings up front as I value complete honesty between us both. I called the dealership and simply cancelled the purchase. By the time that I got back home I calmed down enough to realize that she witnessed me nearly dying at Beech Bend's 1/4 mile drag strip in my GT500 just a few years before, and the worry she'd have about me on a V-rod on the city streets was immensely greater. Not that she didn't trust me, she didn't trust the other drivers on the street.

After my Id, (a Freudian reference), got use to the idea of not having the motorcycle I was glad that I didn't buy it. I had a motorcycle while in the Marine Corps stationed in Kommiefornia where motorcycles are ubiquitous, but here the car and truck drivers do not look for motorcycles very well because they are not ubiquitous.

We discuss anything over $400ish before either of us bother someone with a purchase. "Putting your Wife in her place" is worse than stringing someone along IMHO. It also disrespectful and dishonest to use the Wife as a scapegoat. 

• Love 1

If I want to buy a toy, my wife is usually on board with it. If she wants to go to some far flung island for a week with her buddies, I’m good with that too.

The other side of that coin is that we share long term financial goals, treat each other with respect, and generally don’t behave like children.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

In negotiating classes the is called "Referring to a higher power" Not unlike what the car sales man does when he says "let me run this deal by my sales manager".  I get it all the time, I want to talk to my wife or sometimes its the accountant.  Most of the time its a ploy to get more time.  It is very telling when someone wants to blame others. In those times I want to respond by asking for your wife's number so I can negotiate with her.  

• Like 1
On 5/10/2022 at 11:30 AM, 45guy said:

In negotiating classes the is called "Referring to a higher power" Not unlike what the car sales man does when he says "let me run this deal by my sales manager".  I get it all the time, I want to talk to my wife or sometimes its the accountant.  Most of the time its a ploy to get more time.  It is very telling when someone wants to blame others. In those times I want to respond by asking for your wife's number so I can negotiate with her.  

That's exactly what I ended up telling him.  "Next time don't waste my time and just put your wife on the phone since she's clearly the man of the house, you simpering coward.":

It's good to see that most guys on here have healthy relationships with their wives and respect for their fellow man.

Having worked in gun shops and been trading for twenty years, I've seen this excuse more times than I have fingers and toes.  It always makes me wonder one of two things: Either this potential buyer is a simp; or he is a shifty weasel.  Either way, it is unmanly behavior and I have nothing but contempt for guys who behave this way.  They're either disrespecting their wife or me, or both.

I liken this kind of behavior to spouses who go out and don't wear their wedding ring; the whole point is to remind you that you're married and to signal to others that you're off the market.  And yet, people find all sorts of excuses to not wear it when they go out.  It's a betrayal of your most important Earthly relationship.  But people are cowards and succumb to the temptations of fallen human nature all the time, so they'll glide through their day taking the easy route of lying to whomever they have to lie to, in any number of fashions, in order to have a nice easy day where everyone thinks they're either a nice guy or a victim.  Welcome to the world.

5 hours ago, LEANDER said:

It's good to see that most guys on here have healthy relationships with their wives and respect for their fellow man.

Having worked in gun shops and been trading for twenty years, I've seen this excuse more times than I have fingers and toes.  It always makes me wonder one of two things: Either this potential buyer is a simp; or he is a shifty weasel.  Either way, it is unmanly behavior and I have nothing but contempt for guys who behave this way.  They're either disrespecting their wife or me, or both.

I liken this kind of behavior to spouses who go out and don't wear their wedding ring; the whole point is to remind you that you're married and to signal to others that you're off the market.  And yet, people find all sorts of excuses to not wear it when they go out.  It's a betrayal of your most important Earthly relationship.  But people are cowards and succumb to the temptations of fallen human nature all the time, so they'll glide through their day taking the easy route of lying to whomever they have to lie to, in any number of fashions, in order to have a nice easy day where everyone thinks they're either a nice guy or a victim.  Welcome to the world.

I worked at the base NCO club in high school (dish washer/fry cook). EVERY single time there was a deployment, we had 4x as many women as usual. All with a tan line on that left finger. #Sad

• Like 1