Strong prices at an auction in Santa Fe

I went to an auction in Santa Fe today. The guns were all in nice condition. I didn't record all the prices but here's what I did write down.

USGI Colt M1911 (early frame) but some prior owner had scratched his initials into the right side of the slide! It looked to be done with an electric pencil so probably NOT done during the war by a bored GI in a fox hole. $2500. Actually a pretty decent price for the condition aside from the initials, but that just killed any desire on my part to have it at that price.

Inland M1 Carbine $2000 Not a nuts-o price, but STRONG money for sure for an Inland

Springfield M1 Garand $2600  << I was stunned.

Norinco SKS with detachable mag conversion $825

Ruger 10/22. Plain old wood-stock. $400

Ruger Mini-14 $2000 << say what??!?!?!?!??!

Japanese Arisaka Type 38 (I think . . .I don't know these well) $1800

Some kind of Mauser in 7mm (again, not something I know about) $625

The 2 that absolutely blew my mind were:
Taurus PT-22 $425
Century Arms Centurion O/U 12 ga $1000 

The only one I saw that I think was well-bought was a Colt Huntsman .22. It went for $700. Not a steal, but not overpaid either.

I managed to get some .45 ACP ammo at a decent price, but missed out on the .30 Carbine ammo that I need. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

I went to an auction in Santa Fe today. The guns were all in nice condition. I didn't record all the prices but here's what I did write down.

USGI Colt M1911 (early frame) but some prior owner had scratched his initials into the right side of the slide! It looked to be done with an electric pencil so probably NOT done during the war by a bored GI in a fox hole. $2500. Actually a pretty decent price for the condition aside from the initials, but that just killed any desire on my part to have it at that price.

Inland M1 Carbine $2000 Not a nuts-o price, but STRONG money for sure for an Inland

Springfield M1 Garand $2600  << I was stunned.

Norinco SKS with detachable mag conversion $825

Ruger 10/22. Plain old wood-stock. $400

Japanese Arisaka Type 38 (I think . . .I don't know these well) $1800

Some kind of Mauser in 7mm (again, not something I know about) $625

The 2 that absolutely blew my mind were:
Taurus PT-22 $425
Century Arms Centurion O/U 12 ga $1000 

The only one I saw that I think was well-bought was a Colt Huntsman .22. It went for $700. Not a steal, but not overpaid either.

I managed to get some .45 ACP ammo at a decent price, but missed out on the .30 Carbine ammo that I need. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Were these prices including tax, buyers premium , background ,etc ? That's assuming any of that was applicable.

13 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

So I ask because I saw a recent local auction with similar prices AND a 28% add on for BP and tax 😲

Funny how inflation works.  Everyone and their brother is jacking up prices for no excusable reason.

Let’s not forget the “seller’s premium”.  The auctioneer gets a respectable piece of what the owner is due.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
Just now, Garufa said:

Funny how inflation works.  Everyone and their brother is jacking up prices for no excusable reason.

Let’s not forget the “seller’s premium” as well.  The auctioneer gets respectable piece of that as well.

Explain this one @Garufasince you're a Knox County tax payer (i assume). They had a city auction recently and charged 12% tax . My understanding was it currently sits at 9.25% 

7 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Explain this one @Garufasince you're a Knox County tax payer (i assume). They had a city auction recently and charged 12% tax . My understanding was it currently sits at 9.25% 

I don’t know anything about that but the maximum sales tax rate anywhere in the state of TN is 9.75%...7% for the state with up to 2.75% for the locals depending on what rate they set.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

And it's the same people saying the inflation is all Biden's fault.

With all the economists we seem to have in this country the problem should have been fixed yesterday, lol.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Auction Fever is a terrible disease. Burns any common sense right outta your head. 🙄

The one and only gun auction I’ve been to showed me that.  Was about 12 years ago before they were half local/half online.  Some dumb fool went home with a ziplock bag of six M1 enbloc clips for nearly $50.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The one and only gun auction I’ve been to showed me that.  Was about 12 years ago before they were half local/half online.  Some dumb fool went home with a ziplock bag of six M1 enbloc clips for nearly $50.

It's like the lottery if you don't play you're guaranteed not to win. While many are pointless you'd be surprised the items I've brought home because ppl don't pay attention. And that extends beyond firearms 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

It's like the lottery if you don't play you're guaranteed not to win. While many are pointless you'd be surprised the items I've brought home because ppl don't pay attention. And that extends beyond firearms 

Oh, I know.  I do keep up with the local auction house and got all excited a couple of years ago when they had a bunch of nice S&W revolvers.  They were running low so I thought why not.  Gave it a shot then they started off into more than than I was willing to bid.

Do you have that sweet Model 18 I was trying to get?  😀

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Oh, I know.  I do keep up with the local auction house and got all excited a couple of years ago when they had a bunch of nice S&W revolvers.  They were running low so I thought why not.  Gave it a shot then they started off into more than than I was willing to bid.

Do you have that sweet Model 18 I was trying to get?  😀

Not me brother. I have a pre 18 from a local collection from some years back though. Last auction snags for me were from Powell. And if you know Powell that's unheard of.

10 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Not me brother. I have a pre 18 from a local collection from some years back though. Last auction snags for me were from Powell. And if you know Powell that's unheard of.

Yeah, Powell’s gone nationwide.  Hard for a local boy to get a deal.

But even if it was all local and In person there’s always someone that doesn’t know any limitations...like the guy buying M1 clips.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Gotta pay attention too. There were two ammo lots today I was interested in but didn't get. One was a can with .30-06 in the en bloc clips in bandoliers. The other was a can of .30 Carbine on strippers in bandoliers.

I had figured the .30-06 was worth around 150-200 and the .30 carbine was around 300, based on the quantity of each.

Well, what I thought was .30 carbine was actually the .30-06. Me and another guy got bidding it up. I got to $300 and stopped. He went to $325 and got it. Come to find out 2 lots later that it was the .30-06 and the .30 Carbine was up next. That one bid to I think $400 so I was out.

As I was paying for the .45 ACP lot I won, the guy behind me was the one who got the .30-06. Turns out he ALSO thought it was the .30 carbine in bandoliers and had no need for .30-06. 😄 I'm glad I lost that one! We tried to do a deal but were just too far apart to offset the mistake. Lucky me.

Before the move I used to go to a live gun auction every few months if there was something interesting listed. After watching one auction and sitting on my hands because I was tempted and afterwards realize it was a good deal till you added on buyer fees and tax. After the first time I printed out the online list and marked what looked interesting and what my top price was minus fees and taxes. Then when I would inspect what I was interested in I would mark what I was still interested in. Bought a new G19 Gen4 well below retail, and a few others nice guns over a few years. Also lots of over priced deals go by.

One particular auction I remember well they had five new .22 youth rifles up for auction, top bidder took as many as they wanted and then they would auction again. The bidding was pretty low because everyone thought with 5 they would get one even cheaper. I knew the guy that won the bid and I knew he had a bunch of kids, I think 7+, he took them all.

• Like 1

And the funny thing is a person can drop into Bud's Gun Shop and pick up a wood stocked Ruger 10-22 for

$293.95 plus sales tax.

I wonder if the gimmick is that they were not checking backgrounds???

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, monkeylizard said:

Was this just a plain Jane Mini-14?     Looks like they are currently running around $1,000 new for a stainless version, give or take.    Are people that uninformed or just stupid?

Screenshot 2022-05-30 075110.png

Edited by Trekbike

I attended a police auction a few years back and overheard a conversation about a gun behind me.  The family had a gun stolen maybe many years earlier, but could not prove it was theirs in due process, so they were highly confident the gun at auction was theirs without a doubt, a family heirloom close to the heart that had been stolen but recovered, they paid dearly for the gun, maybe $500 over what it was worth or what you and I would pay for.  I would have thought they must be the most stupid people on the planet if it had not been for the overheard backstory.  I am not sure the person they were bidding against was in on it just to run it up for evil reasons.  

• Wow 1