Chilhowee rod and gun club

BJB

Hey Guys. 
I have been offered to go to Chilhowee rob and gun club to shoot and possibly join. I love Norris range but it a long drive now that we live in Roane Co. 
anyone have any experience with this group. And the range. 
any insight would be greatly appreciated 

Great facilities and a great bunch of people. I belonged a few years ago before I moved away from the area. Membership fees were low. Back them $50 a year if you attended 3 meetings a year or performed 3 hours of community service. They had a pistol range, rifle range, two skeet ranges, a trap range, a private fishing lake, and a nice club house. When you went to shoot there was seldom anyone else there and you had the range to yourself. I am 50 miles away now but have considered rejoining. I think you will like it.

• Love 1

I use to shoot at Norris Range and loved it. Not shot a lot in the past couple of years and looking for something closer. I know there is a ORSC but have heard some not so great stuff about them. But that was years ago , not sure how it is now. May have to check them out. 

On 5/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, BJB said:

I use to shoot at Norris Range and loved it. Not shot a lot in the past couple of years and looking for something closer. I know there is a ORSC but have heard some not so great stuff about them. But that was years ago , not sure how it is now. May have to check them out. 

If I'm reading correctly you are referencing ORSA (Oak Ridge)?

If so, I am a member at ORSA. I've been a member since 2006. I primarily shoot at Range USA simply because it's so close.

But we meet as a small group at least 2 times a month and shoot on the Action Pistol Range at ORSA.  There are a lot of hoops to jump through as in attending General orientation class and a specific orientation class for the Action Pistol Range (ACP).

AS best I can recall no rifles or shotguns on the ACP and you must use only competition approved targets like USPSA and IDPA targets.

But you can work from the holster, set up and run scenario based targeting, can run pistol caliber carbines and .22 rifles (I shoot my RDS 10/22 frequently), and shoot steel as long as no aren't destroying things or missing up stages set for matches. As long as a person is safe and responsible you have a lot of leeway.

There are various matches pretty much every weekend on the ACP...so plan your trips accordingly. IDPA-USPSA-Cowboy-Steel-3 Gun etc.

There are multiple rifle and pistol ranges as well as a 15 yard indoor range (I S.O. there once a month). Nothing fancy in the Indoor range and much more restrictive than it once was. Lots of cameras Big Brother style ...probably one of the negative aspects you mentioned. It is what it is...

I've met a lot of great people at ORSA...a lot of great people at Range USA as well.

ORSA has an application at their website. Price has increased, the new application mentions a background check and carry permit...I just skimmed over it. And you need a sponsor which is easy.

Windrock is another good place to shoot up in Oliver Springs. I think they have a website and "book-face" thing.

Randy Harris and AJ hold training classes there periodically and I understand Windrock has a great Back-up Gun Match.

I'm getting too old and gimpy to run and gun anymore but still make frequent use of ORSA and Range USA.

Hope you guys find what you are looking for.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Jackson
spelling...
  • Like 2