Glock grip angle sucks!

I have been a glock shooter for many years and carried them on duty. I shot them well, when it was all I was shooting.  Now that I’m retired I can shoot whatever I want and love the P320 and 1911 style guns. I have no problem switching back and forth between most anything in the safe except for the glock.  I have most guns set up with red dots and I love my G45 with the RMR but every time I go to it it takes me a day or so to adjust to finding the sights. It’s getting so frustrating!  Am I the only one with this problem?  

• Administrator

Honestly, most folks that I have helped and who have said that they initially have some trouble finding the dot on a Glock running an optic end up also finding out that they are cross-eye dominant  (right hand and left eye, or left hand and right eye).

If you are a right-handed shooter, try pivoting your head ever so slightly to the right as you bring the gun up to eye level.   Pivot the other way if you're a lefty.  If that improves your ability to instantly snap the gun + dot to alignment with your eyesight, surprise!   🙂

Other than that, yeah, the Glock grip angle isn't as neutral or natural as the 1911, P320, etc.

• Like 2

As a right-handed but left-eye dominate shooter, I've found rotating the gun slightly helps me more than pivoting my head. Instead of bringing the sights up to 12 oclock, I bring them up to about 1030 - it greatly helps me quickly align the sights (or dot).

The eye dominance situation isn’t my problem at all. I shoot both eyes open and have overcome that issue. The grip angle is the biggest problem. As TGO David says it’s not a neutral grip. From the draw I have to keep telling myself to lock the wrists forward or squeeze my pinky. I really love the simplicity of the Glock but I think I have to shelve it and move on. 

• Like 1

Agree. I just can’t own one other then 26/27/42 subcompact frames. Tried compact and full size several times then sold off.  When I went back I moved to gen2 Timberwolf frames for my 21 and 23 models. They work for me and keep simplicity of a Glock

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Ejevans45 said:

The eye dominance situation isn’t my problem at all. I shoot both eyes open and have overcome that issue. The grip angle is the biggest problem.

Everyone claims that the Glock grip angle is as natural as pointing your finger at something.  I used to buy into that, but personal experience says that my natural pointing position isn't quite compatible, and neither is most anyone else's.

I can hand most people a trainer Glock (or empty) and tell them to look at something across the way, close their eyes and then point at it, and the Glock won't align for them.  Tell them to do that empty handed and they can point their finger at the same object with pretty good accuracy.

I think the real sauce with Gaston's design is that he figured out that his grip angle uses natural biomechanics to combat recoil.  And he's not wrong about that.

9 hours ago, Ejevans45 said:

As TGO David says it’s not a neutral grip. From the draw I have to keep telling myself to lock the wrists forward or squeeze my pinky. I really love the simplicity of the Glock but I think I have to shelve it and move on. 

I've said it often: This is why we have so many different gun designs to choose from.  There is no true one-design fits all.

I carry my Sig P320 or P365 more than any others now, and I've shot Glocks for over two decades.

• Like 1

The grip angle of Glocks is one of the reason I sold all my other handguns and replaced them with their Glock counterpart. (it all started back when Glock was the only manufacture selling compact and full size 10mm handguns) Shooting exclusively with Glocks, my natural point of aim is dead on with them.  But if I ever pick up another handgun, I'm way off!

• Like 2
On 5/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ejevans45 said:

I 💯 agree. But I’m going the opposite way and getting rid of the glocks. 😂

So.... what are you doing with all your old Glocks? I know a good home they could go to! 😀

I usually tell people who have problems with Glocks to remember to point their support hand thumb at the target.   This forces you to roll your wrists forward which gets the sights on target.  

People always say "lock your wrists" but that means nothing me to at all, my wrists don't have keyholes 😄

Over time, you just automatically tell yourself, "Pick up a Glock, thumb toward target"

Edited by ken_mays
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Do agree that some weapons just adapt to red dots better, my 320 takes little effort to present properly.  Hellcat, not so much.

With that said, the Hellcat is a edc.  The P320 is a steel/range gun.  So my draw and presentation is a bit different as with the P320 as already know what I expect to see.

With the Hellcat, it helps ME to draw with the weapon closer to my body and find the red dot as I extend my arms outward.  At first I had to concentrate on keeping the muzzle down lower than it seemed I had to with iron sights.  Now it is just natural.   Actually it may be a better technique than I was trained on with regular old iron sights where one watched the front sight as the weapon came on target.  The advantage of red dots is that you eye does not have to switch focus from the target to the sight, I can keep my eye on the threat all the time.

Anyway, agree some guns are harder than others.

Grip angle is a common complaint for the anti-glock people. I tend to prefer most other pistols over glock. Maybe some of that is just to be a contrarian, but also I find them crude, ugly, and frankly not very comfortable. I gravitate toward S&W M&P and Sig p226 for pistols. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on what you start with. Glock grips are an adjustment for me. I started on high-powers, so a 1911 grip angle. Pretty much everything except Glocks point more naturally for me. Usually, I find people who love Glock grip angles cut their teeth on Glocks. I have Glocks and I have to consciously remind myself to lower the nose.

• Like 1

I have owned a few glocks over the years, hoping I would like them. Just couldn't get comfortable with them. P320 and p365xl work great. I started with M9 and 1911 so I agree it probably has a lot to do with what you initially learned with.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, Ejevans45 said:

.......  Am I the only one with this problem?  

Absolutely not.  For me, being a Glock fanboy has never been an issue because of that weird grip angle.  I tried to like them.   Just too much forward tilt like High Standard and Woodsman 22s, Lugers and maybe Ruger 22s without target grips.  Perhaps growing up with 1911s spoiled me with that natural grip so tilting a gun sideways and grabbing my junk just never set right.  Sold them all.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:26 AM, TGO David said:

I think the real sauce with Gaston's design is that he figured out that his grip angle uses natural biomechanics to combat recoil.  And he's not wrong about that.

This.  I find the muzzle flip to be worse on polymer guns with a neutral grip angle.

Having started with Glocks, I also have to bring the front sight of other guns up into the sight picture.  I seem to do okay with my CZ-75 guns, but it’s a nah for me on Sigs, M&P, etc.

I have found the Grip Force Adapters, or hacking off a Gen 4 beaver tail adapter, helps fix the stupid angle. In fact, I have found running an optic on a Glock is easier for people used to shooting 1911s, p320s, or other pistols with the correct grip angle. The reason is you find the muzzle slightly high punching out from the pocket on the presentation. 

• 2 weeks later...