Airstream camping

mhmd

We had a 27' Jayco travel trailer that we bought new and just sold a few years ago when the kids got too old.  One thing we really wish that we'd had was a camper with at least one slide out. I dont know if Airstreams have those or not. One really cool thing about Airstreams is that they don't have a rubber roof that eventually breaks down and causes leaks and water damage. They can last a long time.

25 minutes ago, superduty said:

One thing we really wish that we'd had was a camper with at least one slide out. I dont know if Airstreams have those or not. 

Nope, Airstreams don't have slide outs.     Some consider that a negative.    I consider it a positive due to long term maintenance required of the RV slides.     

• Like 1

Airstream makes the finest trailers out there.  Not uncommon at all to see 50+ year old Airstreams still being used.  I have a 20 years old Coachman that is on the opposite end of the spectrum and being held together with duct tape and bubble gum.  I admire the Airstreams from afar, way out of my budget. 

Edited by 10-Ring

My brother and I bought a used 1968 Airstream 20' Land Yacht for $1000 back in the 90s. We used it for deer camp every year for the next dozen or so years, and sold it for $1600 after we moved up to a motorhome. It was classic though, and well insulated. Kept us warm during those Nov/Dec deer seasons. The roof never did leak, can't say the same for the motorhome I bought. It was easy to pull. I pulled it with my 6 cylinder F-150. In hindsight, never thought those old ones would become such collector's items.

airstream back.JPG

Edited by 221 Fireball
  • Like 1

We had a travel trailer with 2 slides for a couple of years and traded it in for a 5th wheel with 3 slides. Setting up a 5th wheel is a lot easier on an old body than a travel trailer - particularly a 5th wheel with auto-level. I do like the Airstreams but feel they are over-priced. They even have an electric model that parks itself.

We started out in a 31' Class C, and found out the seating for "senior citizens" sucks out the wahzoo while we spent a month in FL.  Came home and traded the Class C for a 28' TT with rear seating for us.  One slide with the dinette, but the recliner chairs have heat and massage, and work great.  BR is up front, BA in the middle.  A good layout and not extremely hard to set up, especially if you get a level spot at the CG.  

• Like 1

We have a 35' Wildcat 5th wheel. Have had RVs since 2001. On our 4th. Still camping but don't know how much longer we will be able to do it.  Always wanted an Airstream but don't like the floor plans. They are rugged and last many years but are "Expensive."  

• Like 2

We are on our third and final camper with a Grand Design 320G Momentum. We started out with a Forest River Surveyor Sport SP260 travel trailer and it was an awesome starter rig. Moved up to a Keystone Cougar 29RDB X-Lite and it was an exercise in frustration with every outing. Airstreams are very well built and put together. Very little inside and outside storage, limited floor space with no slides and way out of our price range.  

• Like 1
On 5/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, buck1032 said:

We are on our third and final camper with a Grand Design 320G Momentum. We started out with a Forest River Surveyor Sport SP260 travel trailer and it was an awesome starter rig. Moved up to a Keystone Cougar 29RDB X-Lite and it was an exercise in frustration with every outing. Airstreams are very well built and put together. Very little inside and outside storage, limited floor space with no slides and way out of our price range.  

They are way out of ours too!

This us our first camper and we weren’t looking to put a lot of money in one, just in case we didn’t like it. We got into our used Gulf Steam, with 1 slide out for the couch, for less that $4K. It has a few issues, but it’s still serviceable and dies what we need it too. It’s given us a great idea of what we like and don’t like in a TT!

We are taking our 35'  Wildcat to Defeated Creek for 2 weeks starting next Tuesday. Grandson going with us.  Just finished some of my kitchen remodel and need a break. Got all my cabinets in shape for quartz counter top install now. Rebuilt 14 drawer slides and did some leveling. Getting close to completion. It just takes lots of money. Why I am not going out west this year. That and 5.00 + fuel. Truck get 11 MPG pulling a 35 footer w/2 slides. 

Airstreams, # 1 in IMHO.  

Thanks all.  We are still trying to decide. I really like the idea of hitting some of the state parks where an AS will go but the 5th wheel would get really tight in a hurry. And like @pop pop said, I really don’t like getting off at every other exit to feed the beast like when pulling the 5th wheel. Aerodynamics in the 90s did t seem to be their top priority. 

One last note that I'll add... and take it for what it's worth.  If you are into RVing, the cost really isn't about fuel, etc. It's about time with your family. I've spent a zillion bucks on my truck, fuel, and the RV I used to have, but it's all been worth the experiences I've had with my family. It's all been worth the cost, a million times over. Money is tight these days, but if you can make some memories and spend some good times with your family,  go for it.

• Like 2

Our family has had good experiences with Airstream. Back in the day with a family of six, we had one of the larger models - probably the Classic. After all the kids moved out, my folks downsized to a smaller model - Flying Cloud. No particular issues from what I remember, but my dad did spend a lot of time cleaning things up and fixing damage if mice got in (barn storage). The riveting and clear coat also needed eventual attention. If you find a decent deal, I would say go for it.

• Thanks 1