Milwaukee Tools instead of SAW Purchase

4 hours ago, TGO David said:

I went through this about two years ago and bought a Makita 12-inch sliding compound miter saw.  I had a DeWalt for a while but, as someone else pointed out, a sliding miter saw can take up a lot of room on a workbench because of the sliding mechanism.   The Makita's slider system minimizes lost space BEHIND the saw, which is where you lose the workable usable space on your workbench.

That said, Ridgid has come to the table with an articulating arm saw that costs a hell of a lot less and looks pretty good.  I'd look at this if I were you and if a 10-inch blade will handle the cuts in the material that you plan to use most.

RIDGID 10 in. Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw R4241 (homedepot.com)

Delta was, I think, the first with this design.  I'm glad to see others doing it now.

Yep, that is the one I bought. Been pretty happy with it. And it has the lifetime warranty

• Like 1
On 5/25/2022 at 10:30 AM, GlockSpock said:

I did something and went a completely different direction last night. I went and purchased the M18 FUEL 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer with QUIK-LOK Attachment Capability and 8.0 Ah Battery. I've had quite a few of their M12 tools over the years and loved them, this is my first M18 purchase. Like @10-Ring, I agree that an oscillating multi tool is a wonderful purchase. I've had the M12 version for a few years and it's useful for all sorts of things, although blades/attachments can be expensive depending on what you get.

Milwaukee is having an awesome sale right now where certain products get you a free battery, etc. However, folks in the know use a "hack" if that's what you want to call it. Example, I paid $299 for the above purchase, it comes with an 8.0 Ah battery but the promo gives you an additional 5.0 Ah battery with a sticker price of $149. The way it rings up on the receipt is that the trimmer is $199 and the battery has a "max refund value" of $99. Says that clear on the receipt. So sometime I'll swing in and return the 5.0 Ah battery. Brings the trimmer, 8.0 battery, and charger to $199.00 plus tax. I'll eventually get the pole saw for it as it would be great for trimming some limbs around the house.

I did this to replace my Stihl. While a great gas trimmer, think I'll try this electric one for the summer. I paid $350 for the Stihl a few years back and think I've already found a buyer (or two, or three) on FaceBook for $300 even.

I also have a cheap Walmart brand 20v leaf blower. I'll end up trying to sell it as well for whatever bills someone gives me. I think I'll do the "hack" and replace it as well. Tool ends up being less than $100. At some point I will need more batteries though so at some point I will probably have to keep one of the 5.0 Ah or buy one of the larger ones outright.

I saw all of this to say I think I've decided my first purchase will be an M18 cordless saw. Even if I went out today and replaced every board on my deck, that's only 42 boards. In other words, it will be generally light use as I'm not making money cutting wood.

Then I'll later get a miter saw for playing with. But it's summer and I gotta get more M18 toys.

I have alot of the M18 tools also and have had great luck with them.......i just got the pole saw, extension and blower.........the blower isn't too bad but i could never replace my bigger backpack blower with it, but i still really like it alot. It's easy to just have in the house and grab it to blow off the deck or sidewalk.  The blower does however run thru the batteries.  I use it to help dry the car sometimes too lol.   I haven't used the pole saw yet, should any day. I have thought about adding the string trimmer attachment  too it, so let me know how you like it.   You think it can replace the gas powered stihl?  I have some of the milwaukee lights i like alot too.  I always look for the free tool or light deals.   Thanks for the hack idea too.......i noticed that on a past purchase but forgot all about it.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Gunner2k said:

I have alot of the M18 tools also and have had great luck with them.......i just got the pole saw, extension and blower.........the blower isn't too bad but i could never replace my bigger backpack blower with it, but i still really like it alot. It's easy to just have in the house and grab it to blow off the deck or sidewalk.  The blower does however run thru the batteries.  I use it to help dry the car sometimes too lol.   I haven't used the pole saw yet, should any day. I have thought about adding the string trimmer attachment  too it, so let me know how you like it.   You think it can replace the gas powered stihl?  I have some of the milwaukee lights i like alot too.  I always look for the free tool or light deals.   Thanks for the hack idea too.......i noticed that on a past purchase but forgot all about it.

Well, I've been messing with the Pole Saw attachment over the previous week, nothing quite considered "work" up to this point but so far all fun. I bet I've put 30 minutes or so on the battery (of course, a cut here, a cut there, etc) and the battery still shows three of four bars. What that tells me is that the battery would outlast me in terms of energy, in other words it could charge while I take a break.

I haven't full blown used the trimmer yet, in other words I haven't weed-eated my entire ditch line. But I am already so impressed with it that I'm selling the Stihl. I think a single 8.0 Ah battery will get me through the entire job, but even if it doesn't I think I still prefer it. The test areas I've hit with it so far impressed me, and I haven't put a quality string on it yet. This is what I've been using for a few years now, I'm very impressed but be careful around your house/decking/landscaping as it will eat through some lattice. I'm anxious to see what this stuff will do in the ditch.

I'm honestly thinking of picking up the chainsaw bundle at some point, the 12.0 Ah battery that comes with it would be perfect for both the trimmer and blower.

I am at this point surprised Milwaukee hasn't came out with a backpack blower, maybe one that takes two batteries if needed. All I really need it for is the deck, sidewalk, and the road after weed-eating. I'm sure it (the currently available one)  would handle all of those combined and a bit more.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Milwaukee, but for Lawn related items, I think EGO is about the best there is right now.  The problem with all of this is one ends up with so many chargers, etc.  If you are just building up your arsenal (so to speak), one brand is definitely the way to go.  

I have had Makita 18v's for so many years I can't remember how many and have so many tools it would cost me thousands to upgrade to Milwaukee although I would like to and am sure I will at some point.  I added the EGO 750 cfm blower recently and it is excellent.  It has replaced my Echo backpack blower.  I am not ready to start selling my Stihl trimmers, pole saw, etc just yet, but that day may come  (although my extendable pole saw isn't going anywhere).

Being on a farm, batteries will only go so far when cutting trees, etc, so I don't see myself going away from gas on those anytime soon, but for small jobs they are nice.  Although the new small Stihl saws are so light it's really a toss up.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I am a big fan of Milwaukee, but for Lawn related items, I think EGO is about the best there is right now.  The problem with all of this is one ends up with so many chargers, etc.  If you are just building up your arsenal (so to speak), one brand is definitely the way to go.  

I have had Makita 18v's for so many years I can't remember how many and have so many tools it would cost me thousands to upgrade to Milwaukee although I would like to and am sure I will at some point.  I added the EGO 750 cfm blower recently and it is excellent.  It has replaced my Echo backpack blower.  I am not ready to start selling my Stihl trimmers, pole saw, etc just yet, but that day may come  (although my extendable pole saw isn't going anywhere).

Being on a farm, batteries will only go so far when cutting trees, etc, so I don't see myself going away from gas on those anytime soon, but for small jobs they are nice.  Although the new small Stihl saws are so light it's really a toss up.

I considered some of the EGO stuff but decided I'd much rather have one system that stretches further than multiple specialized systems.

• Like 1

GlockSpock........I have the hd 12.0 battery but to be honest haven't used it yet.  One thing to consider is its fairly heavy....not really why i haven't used it though.  Its just i have bought so many different tools and sets with batteries and or free batteries that i always use a 5 or 6 and just keep switching them out.  I have the 1/2 impact too, i love that thing lol.  i ordered the string trimmer attachment last night so i will see how i like it.  I help my dad with his yard bc he is about too old to do it, so i figured if nothing else he may wanna use it while i'm there.......he likes doing some of the work for exercise.   I have 3 stihl chainsaws and have thought about the milwaukee though.........even that little one seems cool.   I agree on the backpack though that would be bad ass.  I have two blowers now due to the free one with the pole saw......i wonder what one in each hand would be like?  lol   Another cool product i have bout was the thing that goes on top of the battery like the 12hd and turns it into usb and plug outlets......haven't used it either but seems cool when needed.  Never heard of ego i will look it up, but choose milwaukee for yard tools bc I already had several batteries and chargers and had good luck with all the tools so far.  i had one issue with my impact and sent it back and they fixed it and sent it right back.

• Moderators

Sold off my older drill and impact driver (M12, brushed) and replaced it with this kit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-3-8-in-Ratchet-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-2598-22-2567-20/316105832

Exited to step into the world of brush-less and FUEL. From what I've read, I should see a decent difference. I'm curious about the ratchet, I'm thinking it may be useful for mower type maintenance and other related things.

@FUJIMO

Thoughts on the ratchet? I paid an extra $80.00 for the bundle that includes it, the drill and driver are only $179.00 without it.

1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Sold off my older drill and impact driver (M12, brushed) and replaced it with this kit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-3-8-in-Ratchet-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-2598-22-2567-20/316105832

Exited to step into the world of brush-less and FUEL. From what I've read, I should see a decent difference. I'm curious about the ratchet, I'm thinking it may be useful for mower type maintenance and other related things.

@FUJIMO

Thoughts on the ratchet? I paid an extra $80.00 for the bundle that includes it, the drill and driver are only $179.00 without it.

I dont have the ratchet but my buddy that set my path toward Fuel swears by his. Its limited as you can imagine due to its size but its good for most tasks you would encounter around the shop. He carries his in his car. I keep my small and large impacts in the car at all times. Ive bailed more than a few people out with roadside flats with the big impact. And I treat my small impact as my do all wrench when on the job

41 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

This title gets me every time!!!

I thought I logged onto a gun forum like this

Forums - TNGunOwners.com

When I see SAW, I think of thisR.7f4981583ff7349591b3d81f1523b936?rik=g

But I see this

Milwaukee M18 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Tool Kit (6-Tool) with 3/8 in. Impact Wrench and Blower 2696-26-2658-20-0884-20 (homedepot.com)

Here's my pick for a battery powered SAW.

bob-the-builder-hand-power-tool-circular

Bouncing Black And White GIF by CentoLodigiani

• Moderators

@FUJIMO

You like the M18 RO Sander? I picked one up today, first thoughts are that I like it but it seems people either love or hate it.

Got a bundle with 2.0 and 5.0 Ah batteries with charger. I could return those and make the sander something like $80.00. At some point I do need more batteries though so I'm thinking I may keep it.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:46 PM, GlockSpock said:

@FUJIMO

Glockspock i have had the ratchet a year or maybe two and i really like it.....i also have a couple different impacts, love those too.  i just got the hatchet pruning saw a couple days ago, anxious to use it.   i cut alot with chain saws around here and sometimes it can get tedious to cut it up for the firepit with pruners, so thats my excuse for buying it lol.

11 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

@FUJIMO

You like the M18 RO Sander? I picked one up today, first thoughts are that I like it but it seems people either love or hate it.

Got a bundle with 2.0 and 5.0 Ah batteries with charger. I could return those and make the sander something like $80.00. At some point I do need more batteries though so I'm thinking I may keep it.

I've seen the reviews but haven't used theirs. I can tell you I'm terrible on hand sanders because apparently I want to bear down so hard it shortens the life of the sander lol. This is particular to my wood finishing "projects" that come up from time to time. The last large job I had I was thankful Harbor Freight had an awesome return policy :).

I'll be very interested to hear your review @GlockSpockafter you take it for a long walk across some hardwood :).

As for the batteries my rule is NEVER let go of batteries. I have them stuck in various places so I don't kill one then have to walk all the way back to my main charging station if I'm in the middle of doing something. For instance if I'm trimming and the battery dies I simply reach into the car for one off my impact, the trunk for the bigger impact pack, or off the blower usually sitting in the shop. I don't know if you have one of the usb chargers that slide on to the pack but they are quite handy for keeping you electronics charged when out away from your car.

This is it https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Power-Cell-Phone-Charger-Cordless-Jobsite-Milwaukee-18v-Battery-Adapter-Tool-/123562328671

They also have the power supply adapter but I've not made the leap on it.....YET.

• Administrator
On 5/27/2022 at 8:30 AM, TGO David said:

I went through this about two years ago and bought a Makita 12-inch sliding compound miter saw.  I had a DeWalt for a while but, as someone else pointed out, a sliding miter saw can take up a lot of room on a workbench because of the sliding mechanism.   The Makita's slider system minimizes lost space BEHIND the saw, which is where you lose the workable usable space on your workbench.

That said, Ridgid has come to the table with an articulating arm saw that costs a hell of a lot less and looks pretty good.  I'd look at this if I were you and if a 10-inch blade will handle the cuts in the material that you plan to use most.

RIDGID 10 in. Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw R4241 (homedepot.com)

Delta was, I think, the first with this design.  I'm glad to see others doing it now.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, analog_kidd said:

Yep, that is the one I bought. Been pretty happy with it. And it has the lifetime warranty

Travis, over at Shop Nation, is going to be producing these enhanced dust collector attachments for that Ridgid miter saw that I linked above.  I've got a few other things that he designed and 3D printed, and they are all excellent quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, Hozzie said:

Good choice.   When you get to buying a saw, go with this one.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-7-1-4-in-Rear-Handle-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-2830-20/309245503

PS: I should have added, keep the 5amp battery.  At some point you will even want some smaller 2 amp batteries. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:57 AM, FUJIMO said:

Ditto here. A lot of RED power 😁

Any reason a person would get the rear handle vs their "normal" circular saw? I imagine it's personal preference, but without a lot of experience with either form factor I'm unsure what makes sense for me.

Any reason a person would get the rear handle vs their "normal" circular saw? I imagine it's personal preference, but without a lot of experience with either form factor I'm unsure what makes sense for me.

I suppose if you used one for business the rear handle could be less exhausting?!? I just got done remodeling a back porch for my SIL and it was a total red fest. Circular saw, Sawzall, mini impact, drill/driver, blower, finish nailer. The circular saw made 100 cuts through PT 2xs without much effort. Unless I find a deal on a rear handle I'll stick with my normal handle. 

For me, it is the angle of the grip whicj gives more control and the blade is on the left hand side which makes it easier to see what you are cutting (especially if you are right handed).  

It is designed more like a worm saw which is quite frankly just a much better style of saw.  I would say go hold both and you can decide.  If you are right handed I wouldn’t personally ever buy a saw with the blade where I have to look over it to see what I am doing. 

Also be sure you are comparing the 7.25”  to the 7.25” and not the 6.5”.   As I can see there is only $20 difference between the two 7.25” versions. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

For me, it is the angle of the grip whicj gives more control and the blade is on the left hand side which makes it easier to see what you are cutting (especially if you are right handed).  

It is designed more like a worm saw which is quite frankly just a much better style of saw.  I would say go hold both and you can decide.  If you are right handed I wouldn’t personally ever buy a saw with the blade where I have to look over it to see what I am doing. 

I saw lefty so that may be why I've never paid it no mind lol

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Alright, finally made a decision and hopefully take the crown as now being the King of Milwaukee.

Two weeks ago I took advantage of one of their deals. If you purchase the "starter kit" including a 5.0 Ah, 2.0 Ah, and charger, you got a free tool. I chose the Orbital Sander, as that's what I wanted overall.

For two weeks, those batteries have been sitting in their box, I wasn't sure what to do with them but I finally found their place.

As seen above, I was considering one of their 7-1/4" saws for roughly $250.00 give or take. I would have made a mistake spending that money on the bare tool.

Today I took the batteries back and got a credit of $132.50. That means I've got $85.90 in the Orbital Sander. Not too bad.

Today I found the following bundle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-Circular-Saw-2997-22-2732-20/314961660

It's $479 but is eligible for their "free battery/tool" combo. I chose an extra 5.0 Ah battery, which I'll return for $124.73. After returning the battery, I'll have roughly $400.97 in the new bundle.

But...the bundle (instead of the $250.00 bare saw) gets me:

M18 Fuel Hammer Drill

M18 Fuel Impact Driver

2x 5.0 Ah Batteries

7 - 1/4" Fuel Circular Saw (same one I was considering for $250 bare)

Charger

Hard Case

So, I definitely made an excellent decision in returning the 5.0 Ah and 2.0 Ah battery kit for $113, as I essentially only paid $3.00 more to get the drill, driver, and 2x 5.0 Ah batteries (instead of 5.0 Ah and 2.0 Ah).

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Love 1

Alright, finally made a decision and hopefully take the crown as now being the King of Milwaukee.

Two weeks ago I took advantage of one of their deals. If you purchase the "starter kit" including a 5.0 Ah, 2.0 Ah, and charger, you got a free tool. I chose the Orbital Sander, as that's what I wanted overall.

For two weeks, those batteries have been sitting in their box, I wasn't sure what to do with them but I finally found their place.

As seen above, I was considering one of their 7-1/4" saws for roughly $250.00 give or take. I would have made a mistake spending that money on the bare tool.

Today I took the batteries back and got a credit of $132.50. That means I've got $85.90 in the Orbital Sander. Not too bad.

Today I found the following bundle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-Circular-Saw-2997-22-2732-20/314961660

It's $479 but is eligible for their "free battery/tool" combo. I chose an extra 5.0 Ah battery, which I'll return for $124.73. After returning the battery, I'll have roughly $400.97 in the new bundle.

But...the bundle (instead of the $250.00 bare saw) gets me:

M18 Fuel Hammer Drill

M18 Fuel Impact Driver

2x 5.0 Ah Batteries

7 - 1/4" Fuel Circular Saw (same one I was considering for $250 bare)

Charger

Hard Case

So, I definitely made an excellent decision in returning the 5.0 Ah and 2.0 Ah battery kit for $113, as I essentially only paid $3.00 more to get the drill, driver, and 2x 5.0 Ah batteries (instead of 5.0 Ah and 2.0 Ah).

Martial Arts GIF