Gun Safe Recommendations?

I've been saying "I need a safe" for a while but it's time to stop saying and take action. I've looked enough to know there is a wide range in quality (gauge steel, fire rating, etc.) and that going by the title of "12 gun safe" doesn't mean it'll really fit 12 guns AND the gear I want to include in it. I don't want to spend $3k but $800 probably isn't going to do it either. I'm fine with new or used, even scratch and dent if the deal is worthwhile. The safe will be in my garage which is not climate controlled (yet) but humidity is adequately controlled at 50-55%. 

What I have:

• 5 rifles, all with scopes
  • 4 pistols
  • A few ammo cans worth of ammunition I would like to store as well

Input I would appreciate from the hive:

• Where to buy around the Nashville area? I was going to check out Safe House but other than in stock selection, are they better than big box retailers? Any of you want to upgrade and make me an offer on what you have? 
  • Fire rating - I'm leaning towards 60min but how much should that matter? Everything is properly insured, nothing has sentimental value, it can all be replaced... hopefully. 
  • Size - what do you recommend? As referenced above, a 12-gun will fit my guns but I don't think it'll allow the room for ammo and accessories too. 20-gun seems like an ideal size. 
  • Lock - Mechanical vs. Electronic? Electronic seems to be all the rage these days. Is it reliable?  
  • Anything else I'm overlooking? 

From what I've seen ...
Whatever number of guns they say it will hold, cut that number in half.
Unless perhaps what one has is primarily handguns.

I bought one of these. (I didn't pay what that website says)
I had to remove the rack mounted to the door in order to use both supplied rows in the cabinet.
Bolt guns are problematic because the bolt handle will bump the one next to it if you use the supplied cutouts, even shotguns will bump each other if they have a charging handle sticking outta the bolt.
So I had to skip spaces quite often.
AR style firearms take a lotta room due to the grip. More still if a scope is installed.

Edited by DL126
  • Like 1

Unless you have strong friends I recommend looking where they will deliver to where you want it placed. I paid a little more and didn’t have to figure out how to get a 800lb safe home.

I bought the biggest safe I thought I would ever need, then I moved to a free state and put that one in the bedroom closet and bought one 4 times as big for my shop. I was doing ok till my son planned to move closer and asked if he could store a few guns, that put me over capacity. His plans have changed so he has slowly moved his guns back home again and I have some breathing space again.

I agree, buy much bigger than you think you'll ever need. 

I also agree on having it delivered and placed where you want it. Well worth the cost if there is one. 

I'm a firm believer in mechanical locks. Batteries tend to go dead at the worst possible times.  

Buy the heaviest steel with the longest fire rating you can afford. If you're like me, you'll also store all your important documents in there as well. 😉

I agree on mechanical, I might have went one size bigger but it had an electronic lock and I didn't know till after the safe I bought was installed that it could have ben swapped out. It was the same footprint but deeper and that would have been nice.

I have a fire box for important papers and back up computer drives that I update once a month. Then the box is in the gun safe, I figure by doubling up the fire protection it might survive if the place burns.

Placing your safe against an outside wall gives more time and fire protection.  Bolt it down.  Mechanical lock.  If size is a problem I prefer two smaller safes to one huge safe; twice the safety from fire, flood, and thiefs.  Buy the best quality you can.  Prefer the corner bolts.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest checking out Parker's Safes and Vaults down in Shelbyville and they can find you a unit to fit your needs.  When I was in the market for a new safe I did some research and had a few phone calls with Aaron and eventually stopped by his shop to look at what he has in stock and eventually chose my safe.  Delivery was painless and Aaron and team were very good with getting my safe into a somewhat tricky spot.  Safes are one of the items I would consider stepping up a bit on budget to get something that is really going to protect what you put in it.

https://parkersafeandvault.com/

• Like 2