Freedom's dark side

With the latest shooting the story has me thinking.

If my child is killed by a firearm would you give up your firearm?

If your child is killed by a firearm would you ask me to give up my firearm?

A few years back a good friend lost his oldest to suicide, never showed a sign. Stole his brothers hand gun. We have went to the range together before and after. These questions were not asked. 

"It is hard to acknowledge that the death of innocent children is a price we are willing to pay for freedom. But it's true. And while we cannot fully control the vagaries of evil and death, we can be honest. We can, even in our deep pain, look truly at our role in allowing evil to flourish, fed by the fulsome fuel of freedom. "

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/texas-school-shooting-guns-freedom-constitution

"This is a conversation that we refuse to have. A debate between accepting the horrible risks of freedom or of living our lives under greater control and limitation in the name of safety. It is a conversation that requires courage, and one that we must no longer avoid. Freedom is dangerous, and it is no use pretending that it isn’t. "

Sadly, Ive seen this first hand as a young man... A nearby family had a child killed by its own hand by a hunting shotgun.  The family put their guns away. 

They did not demand that the community put theirs away because of their family tragedy.  They did what they thought, as a family, they should do.  They did not demand that others do so, nor campaign for laws congruent with what they believed.  

Tragedy is a part of life.  The God-Man said : " In this world you will have trouble "... None of us have a guarantee for tomorrow.  Our leaving may be grizzly and unthinkable.  

The message of this little line of thought ( . and firm belief .). is that bad things will, in fact, happen.  Most of which are caused by the evil hearts of men.  Firearms are objects, not creatures doing bad or good things. 

The problem is people... Abeit thoughtlessness in not unloading a bird gun or evil in the form of the Uvalde and Buffalo shootings.   

No amount of exestential thinking or prattling demands of your intellectual betters; the political class, can fix this.  You want ta be free, be free.  You want ta be a slave to the gubt and your " betters ", disarm.  

leroy...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 6

Would you ask someone/everyone to give up their automobiles if you lost a child in a car crash?  Same question for boats, jetski's, ATV's??

People don't "choose" to be in any deadly crash, they are innocent victims in most cases.

Those in charge should enforce the laws already on the books, and then determine if more are needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, RED333 said:

“It is a conversation that requires courage, and one that we must no longer avoid. Freedom is dangerous, and it is no use pretending that it isn’t. "

It requires zero courage for me to have that conversation. He wouldn’t like my opinions.

These talks of delegating the rights of many to the oversight of a few (relatively speaking) self serving individuals are much more dangerous than any perceived danger this writer has about freedom. 

It’s not hard to work out what we should try next. It just takes money spent in the right places. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

Where is the money for schools?

Untold millions are there from the big give away in the past few years. Schools have not spent it yet, the law that gave the money out did not say what the money had to be spent on. I am sure some went to administration to line pockets of teachers to tow the line.

• Like 1