Reloading startup 9mm, 5.56, and 300 blk

If your just starting then a single stage is best.  I’m useing RCBS rock chuckers for precision rounds,.  Others have their favorites.  I have been at this a long time and had an epiphany.  It’s like you buy a $100 fishing rod, then a $20,000 boat to take it fishing. Primers are going to be your problem.

Edited by Beltfed
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Beltfed said:

If your just starting then a single stage is best.  I’m useing RCBS rock chuckers for precision rounds,.  Others have their favorites.  I have been at this a long time and had an epiphany.  It’s like you buy a $100 fishing rod, then a $20,000 boat to take it fishing. Primers are going to be your problem.

Thanks for the ideas. I've heard RCBS makes great products.  Is there a specific powder you prefer? Hodgdon? 

Oh boy, you don't know what you've started, haha, personally, I'm using an RCBS single stage that's been passed down through to three generations, myself being the third. I've also got a Hornady that has rotating die slots, today's market, it's hard to find a "bad" loader, everyone has their favorite, and dies are debatably personal preference as well, each brand has their ups and downs, take for instance Lee 9mm dies over Hornady 9mm dies, Lee's expander die has a powder through funnel where you can prime, expand, charge, and then set that charged case in your tray. Hornady's expander doesn't have that option, but their seater die  has a piece that sits on the projectile which helps keep it straight and level as you're going up the press. IMHO, you should read a guide to reloading, I've got a Lee Precision's Guide To Reloading you can have, after doing so, it will help you decide what best suits your needs.

Edited by scatman
  • Like 1

As mentioned. most all single stage presses are good. I happen to prefer RCBS equipment and dies.  But the other brands are fine. 

Right now the problem is gonna be components and powder. Primers are especially scarce. As for best powders. these days use what you can get. 🙄

• Like 1

OK, I will say it, You have picked a bad time to start reloading. Primers are, as said before, very hard to get and getting more and more costly. Powder is another component that is gona slow you down. Brass, if you can find it is very costly as well.

Be ready for the "Gold Trimmed" prices on everything!

• Like 2

Appreciate all the feedback and I'm currently just getting info I'll wait a bit til prices are a little better then jump.  The plan is to buy bulk ammo like 5k then use that brass as reloads so that'll knock the brass out.  The rest will just have to be find it and buy it when decent priced 

As an overall observation, I've been re!loading for about 45 years or so.   I've stashed a!l my reloading supplies away for that sad day when the gubt in concert with the big ammo conglomerates tries to stop the reloading business altogether. 

My advice: Buy your reloading equipment and components as ya have the dough n find bargains.  Hoard those supplies for a rainy day, and buy the ammo ya need for now. 

I don't target shoot anymore.  I shoot to zero and verify function... I reload only for ammo I need for possible defensive use for the calibers I regularly use, stash the ammo, and pray I don't have to use it.

Until this war against the Second Amendment is won decisively at the ballot box, we are in dire danger of running out of ammo for calibers like the 38, 357, 41, 44 and the hunting rifle calibers.  There will always be ammo for " military " calibers, and prices are " bearable " for now.   

Make no mistake, the big ammo companies could care less about selling components when they can sell ammo instead, and they are bought n paid for by the gubt behemoth.  One phone call from the right luminary could stop component availability tomorrow, in the USA at least.

I hate ta be so negative about this reloading issue, but I am greatly concerned about the future availability of components.  

sad leroy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with the above on reloading manuals…read, read, then read some more.  As of right now “Midsouth Shooter Supply” has around 30 types of powder in stock and they ship.  Keep an eye out in the usual places for used equipment and manuals.  A couple of forums that could help are Reloading Equipment Only and No BS Reloading. If you were closer I could let you have some primers as you are a newbie.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today, I would recommend starting the hunt for primers. If you don’t find them, you aren’t out a bunch of money for the easier to find components that are now only taking up space. Primers are the most difficult reloading item to come by at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Yeah I've been seeing that just don't know where the heck to find them, I've found small rifle primers but I plan on starting with 9mm I know they can work but also would rather have the right tool for the job

Edited by Huntin101
  • 2 weeks later...

As I posted elsewhere … Target Sports USA has cci and federal small rifle primers in stock. In 5k lots only with free shipping. That works out to 60-65 bucks per k, depending on brand. Not bad by todays standard.  No small pistol though

if you are interested in reloading. This is the way to start off. Get the supplies while you can. Presses and dies aren’t that hard to come by

• Thanks 1