Thoughts on buying "rental" guns from ranges (unknown round count)?

moodster

I would tend to stay away from buying range rentals with unknown round counts, but worth asking if anyone has any experience in that area. Anyone work at a range with rentals or know the average round count or time in service before a range sells off a pistol? Reasons a range would sell a rental? Maybe it never gets rented? How much discount off new price? 🤔

My experience with handguns deal with revolvers.  Many years ago I tried to wear out a S&w model 28.  I went to the range two days a week with buckets of ammo.  I fired it till the cylinder wouldn’t turn.  Went home and cleaned it, then repeated the next day.  Gave up.  Good quality revolvers like S&W you will never wear out no matter the round count.  If you know how to check one for wear and tear you will be good if the price is right. 
I’ll leave auto to others. 

If it has good bones and I can get a good price then that is all that matters to me. I might have some experience at it too.

Ranges sell off for lots of reasons. Sometimes use, sometimes just to swap up to newer models they also carry for sale, or maybe they have a stack of X and Y rents better. They might also just be lessening the load money sitting in their books. 

• Like 1

This same question could be asked regarding "recycled" police issued handguns.  Actually, I have a couple that I bought in this fashion and they are wonderful guns and still have many years of life left.  By in large, if one has a bit of a mechanical tilt and an understanding of firearm functionality, you can be pretty safe on these type of purchases.  

• Like 3

When I worked at Range USA in Memphis I was their Armorer-

And can say first hand that they never sold any of their rentals-

We kept them until they quite literally were worn out-

I can attest to what firearms at that time held up and which didn't-

Most of the handguns and rifles had 1000's of rounds expended with out much down time-

I can also lay to rest the idea that AR15's are not reliable-

We also had a Taurus G2 that had never but once broke-extractor issue-1000's of rounds later-

We had a Bersa Thunder 9 that couldn't be killed-

So until a person actually works in the industry and see's first hand what works and doesn't-it's false to make claims of brands that are No Good-

I would imagine that the reason most Range's don't sell their old stock would be to take responsibility for a wore out gun that could become a liability-

• Like 4
8 hours ago, krunchnik said:

Most of the handguns and rifles had 1000's of rounds expended with out much down time-

We also had a Taurus G2 that had never but once broke-extractor issue-1000's of rounds later-

So until a person actually works in the industry and see's first hand what works and doesn't-it's false to make claims of brands that are No Good-

I would imagine that the reason most Range's don't sell their old stock would be to take responsibility for a wore out gun that could become a liability-

Great input, thanks much!

As far as your last line, I would like to add why sell something that works. The LGS would have to replace the firearm.

I am pretty sure Buds sells off their range guns. I mean, I have seen guns in the used section that say "range" on them, so I am assuming that's where they came from. I never even thought about buying one, as the prices imo aren't that good for the potential amount of abuse the things have seen.

4 hours ago, tmauto769 said:

I am pretty sure Buds sells off their range guns. I mean, I have seen guns in the used section that say "range" on them, so I am assuming that's where they came from. I never even thought about buying one, as the prices imo aren't that good for the potential amount of abuse the things have seen.

Wonder if they custom mark the ones Hickok45 used?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, krunchnik said:

I remember reading in the mid 90s or so about a range that had a Star 30M that had over 30K rds and was still going strong.I owned one,it was built like a tank.

I'd say most any Glock , especially the Glock 17 , would be a good purchase from a rental place if you inspect it good enough.  Glock is a pretty good company no matter what you hear or think of them.  They fix lots of things , sometimes even heavy wear and tear items they will replace for very little charge. Customer service is darn good in my opinion. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Do ranges actually sell rental guns and make it known they are more than just “used”?  

Royal Range had a few last month listed as "used range guns". I can't remember what brand of guns they were. I think one was a Ruger MK series in .22lr .

15 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Royal Range had a few last month listed as "used range guns". I can't remember what brand of guns they were. I think one was a Ruger MK series in .22lr .

Were they being sold at typical used prices or at a cost befitting a rental gun which has seen untold thousands of rounds?

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Were they being sold at typical used prices or at a cost befitting a rental gun which has seen untold thousands of rounds?

The prices , in my opinion , were just regular used prices. For rental guns , they should have been lower in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Previously "issued" guns may not be so bad.  Most police officers and various security types don't practice all that much.  Now you will find scratches and physical outside wear.

Rental guns are not something I would consider buying.  The times I have rented guns they always seemed to have mechanical problems of some sort.  And unlike Police weapons, they don't seem to be maintained at all.

So have not bought a rental gun, and would not consider doing so.

Ed

• 1 month later...

I go to range USA formerly Shoot Point Blank here in Memphis. They have had several sales where they sell the used range guns. I know most of the employees by sight there and have been told by some employees to stay away from certain former rentals as they knew more about the history and round count on them. Most of the more common 9mm carry options were really used a great deal and the price difference was not good enough to take a chance. Those guns really take a beating. Sometimes a rare one doesn't get used much because of its popularity and those may be good bets, but most are really, really used guns.....

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I used to know a competitive shooter who would loan a new gun to the indoor range that sponsored him as a rental gun for a few months.  He wanted it all nice and broken in and he was fine with someone else doing it for him.  

A lot cheaper that way too. 😂😂

• Like 1