Leo saves STG 44 from buyback..

Older story, but I had never seen it.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/12/08/hardford-ct-officer-cavanna-rescues-stg-44-from-gun-buyback?avad=202199_b2916b979&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_campaign=161799&utm_medium=ale_NA

"Hartford, CT officer John Cavanna made himself a hero of the gun world last weekend, as he rescued a piece of history from a gun buyback program shredder, by refusing to accept an StG 44 brought in by the daughter of a World War II artilleryman.

The StG 44 is an early assault rifle, the first to see major military adoption, and the reason why every current military in the world issues assault rifles to this day. It changed the way war was fought, and changed the world of small arms. It represents a turning point in history, and continues to make it, in small ways like this.

“Usually, this rifle would be issued to SS troops,” said Cavanna. “In excellent condition, this gun is rated at $30,000 to $40,000.”

The StG 44 was a war trophy belonging to the woman’s father. “You could kill a solider back then, and if the captain of your fighting unit signed off on it, you could send that gun home to your family or kid brother or cousin. Anything you wanted. Her father, who was a World War II army man, had brought this gun home from the European theater,” Cavanna said.

Cavanna is not just a peace officer but also a gun historian, and we thank him from rescuing this artifact and elevating himself above the buyback fray. The owner will be allowed to keep the rifle and sell it to a museum.

“The chance to see a piece of history—this…is absolutely unbelievable,” said Officer Lewis Crabtree of the Hartford Police Dept. “This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder.”

Gun buybacks are already hugely controversial. At best they disarm the poor, at worst they are used to destroy evidence and artifacts like these. For every gun buyback that’s exploited as a children’s fundraiser, there are dozens that raise all sorts of red flags like this recent buyback in Massachusetts that exchanged guns for flu shots.

But it’s nice to see that there are sometimes silver linings to these largely ineffective and counter-productive programs.

And we hope that other officers follow his lead. We’ve all heard stories of amazing, often singular firearms going to the big armory in the sky because they were found by people who didn’t know better and they turned them into gun buyback programs. The world needs more John Cavannas. Keep up the good work, and as gun lovers, we’re all in your debt."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

That's a MG, and most likely an illegal one to boot, since her dad brought it back from the war, I'd wager it was never registered prior to 68.

interesting read

So you found an MG in the attic ..... - AR15.COM

Probably add another 10k+ to this price for today's price, "IF" it was a transferable MG.

Stg44 for sale $37k - NFA Market Board - Sturmgewehr.com Forums

……….and then there was THIS

Hey…along the same lines as above…anyone here like apples? Yes?

Then hows about THESE FRIGGIN’ APPLES

<hint> anyone else ever scratch their heads about a decade ago when photographs began surfacing of Syrian jihadis armed with vintage STG44s, and Kar98s with modern optics duct taped to them? I remember thinking it was some kind of joke….nope. That was REAL! 

See for yourself - try the links and be stupefied (and very covetous, if you’re anything like me)

Edited by JD_Shellnut
I’m incompetent
18 hours ago, JD_Shellnut said:

……….and then there was THIS

Hey…along the same lines as above…anyone here like apples? Yes?

Then hows about THESE FRIGGIN’ APPLES

<hint> anyone else ever scratch their heads about a decade ago when photographs began surfacing of Syrian jihadis armed with vintage STG44s, and Kar98s with modern optics duct taped to them? I remember thinking it was some kind of joke….nope. That was REAL! 

See for yourself - try the links and be stupefied (and very covetous, if you’re anything like me)

Hello, self. This is your alter-ego speaking. What’s the deal with your previous post? Why on Earth would you post those foolish, uninteresting links? I mean, what’s so uncommon about a group of modern Islamic militants stumbling across a forgotten cache of 5000 perfectly mint, Nazi MP44s? I mean, that’s almost as common as someone responding to their own post! You big oaf you!