Range vs Carry Caliber.

scatman

I know there is a few of us who use different calibers on the range vs what we prefer to carry, my question to the group is, what's your preference in caliber for either one? I'm also aware of the fact that there's also those who practice with what we carry either by just running 50 or so rds through our carry on a range day, or using a similar firearm to what we carry, so to those people I ask, what is what is your "practice carry?" I.e. I used to carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP with a 3" barrel and 7rd magwell, my practice was a Kimber Pro Carry with a 4" barrel and full size 8rd magwell.

• Like 1

I'm a 9mm guy and pretty committed to the APX series; full size, centurion, compact and carry (and a centurion with extra compact grip module for .40)

As all are similar, I get reps on the 'same' pistol regardless of what I have one.

Exception is the Carry, trigger is different from the double stack APX models.

I'd carve out a big "except when" for the  guys and girls who competitively pistol shoot (formal or informal) or love to shoot what they collect.

24 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

I'd carve out a big "except when" for the  guys and girls who competitively pistol shoot (formal or informal) or love to shoot what they collect.

Ya know, you're right, I probably should've mentioned something geared towards them as well, I didn't even think about it because my Pro Carry was what I used for competition as well.

As few and far between range time is, I always run at least 1 if not 2 full mags of self defense ammo on my 2 carry guns. Then just send range stuff until I feel confident at different yardages hitting the spots picked on the target. I have more than 2 handfuls of carry options but I've narrowed it to 2 for all seasons. My shorts are too big and jeans are too tight so the way I carry varies too.

• Like 2

I shoot what I carry , my reloads duplicate bullet weight and velocity of my carry ammo for practice. 

Currently carry .40 MP or 1911s in 45 , both 5 inch thumb safety models to keep them similair.

About done with 40 , once my stock is used up I will probably phase them out. Other than a little barrier penetration the 9mm performs about the same these days.

Get up a little bigger 45 and 10mm and there starts to be some performance difference again.

• Like 2

It's a good question. 

For me there are two kinds of range day...target practice and self defense practice.  For the latter I practice with my carry gun(s).  It doesn't make any sense to do otherwise.  Yes, I have a couple of carry guns which show considerable wear from practice, but at least I know they work and are reliable.  Will replace them when the wear gets excessive.  Practicing with them I know where they hit and how to use them while moving.  Target shooting is more stationary and can be fun with many different types of firearm (larger the better here).

For defensive practice it would also be valid to use a 22 which is similar in design to my carry gun.  That would be to save on ammo cost wile developing draw, presentation and trigger control.  They can also work well for sight picture while moving.  Problem is, there are no .22's which match the physical dimensions, weight and sights of my carry guns.

For pure Fudge and giggles target shooting, I prefer a large revolver as they are accurate and fun.  Also, don't have to chase the brass like on a semi-auto center-fire.  One of my carry guns is a small revolver so I get da practice as well.

Have fun and safely practice, practice, practice.  Oh, and breathe.....

• Like 1

I frequently practice and carry an M&P 9 Shield Plus.  Before the Plus model became available I practiced with a Shield 9 and carried a Shield 45.  

When I choose to carry a 1911, I usually practice with my DW Valor 9mm and carry it or a Valor 45.

Weather, surroundings and clothing usually are the factors in my carry choice.

I expand on the idea of carry and practice for two different scenarios. One on my person vs a different gun in the vehicle.  Both 9mm for me. 

I carry a G19 in the car. I can’t conceal it well enough to carry with preferred carry mode unless I have outer layers. For the sake of constancy, I end up sticking to a single carry gun vs switch around or vary by season. So a micro compact ends up being my person. 

I envy folks that manage to hide a 1911. 😄

Anything that is not those I consider range / fun. If I feel I am not current enough on my practice for carry, I will work out any flinch reactions or anticipation by a quick desensitizing. Jump to to a high flip or concussion caliber. 1 mag or two thru  commander size 1911 or a mag of 357sig in a G32C saves me 50+ rounds of 9mm.

7 minutes ago, scatman said:

Look at the Kimber Ultra Carry II, i kept it in my pocket, or an ankle rig.

I went with an EMP when I looked at the wee 1911’s. Same size really. the squared msh sticks out with my car mode.  They fixed that with the EMP4, but didn’t want to hassle with the Ti firing pin again.

You touched on the big thing, how one prefers to carry is the big thing.  You must have some crazy big pockets! 😉

1 minute ago, Erich said:

You touched on the big thing, how one prefers to carry is the big thing.  You must have some crazy big pockets! 😉

Military style combat pants, some of which I have turned into shorts, Dickies Cargo Khakis. Swiss Gear apparel. I have a couple of sets of clothes that are specifically created and designed for conceal carry for situations that require more "class" as opposed to casual. What I really need to buy is another Alien Gear Shoulder Holster, I bought one last year for my Shield when the company was still relatively new to the market and they were a little cheaper, only because at the DeSantis NYC Undercover Holster was on backorder until January of this year, turned out to be a 100x better of a buy. Most comfortable, secure, and accessible holster I've owned, and it holds 2 backup mags, but I'm waiting until I finally settle on my setup again. I've been doing a lot of changing around of what I have in the house, and until I reach some steady ground with what I have, I'm not trying to make that investment. 

I rotate most all of my handguns into carry so I take at least three every range trip. I bought my first 9mm last year and it has become my go to being smaller and lighter than my .45s, usually with my .32 as backup. Like scatman, I have big shorts and tighter jeans so I am moving to OWB holsters and can hide my 4in 8 round .357 in the pocket of most of my shorts. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Simply a matter of a good belt and holster. 😉

The most overlooked piece of advice.

I had good holsters, it was life changing once I got a proper gun belt.

Toted a CZ 75B Omega AIWB for years.

I still carry a full size when dress and place appropriate

• Like 1

Range day for me is a combo of 380, 9mm and 10mm. In the summer, I carry a Ruger LCP because it fits in my pocket easily. In the winter, I will carry a sub compact 9mm or the smaller Glock 10mm, which has become my favorite gun lately. In the summer, Im too small a guy to conceal the 10mm or 9mm and found myself not carrying a lot, so that's why I got the LCP, its easy to carry and always with me. Love a little 45 action at the range also.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this might be of interest.

For years have used my S&W 38. Spl Bodyguard as primary carry.  I'm a fat dude and it fits my profile.

Always ran a couple cylinders of ammo through it at the range  to make sure it was gtg.  Shot some BUG matches with it.  Played with it at the range to optimize my da trigger pull.  Was not adverse to showing people that you CAN hit a 25 yard target in the zone with a snubbie and full loads.  In shorty, have shot it quite a lot.

Well, it is starting to loosen up.  Like a couple of Smiths that went before it, the cylinder will rock JUST A BIT.  It's a sign of loosening up.  Gonna miss that tight precise feel.  It's not loose enough yet to cause any safety or accuracy problems.  But if I continue for another 5-10 years like this....it might. 

Oh well, that's why I have so many cream puff reloads sitting around.  Time to start using them.

So, on topic my answer is....with some guns it may cause excessive wear.  A snubbie is not as durable as a Glock 19.

• 3 months later...

My EDC is a Glock 23 and I usually carry 2 extra mags. I like the size and power of the .40 if my life were on the line. Usually about once a year ish I shoot the rounds I have been carrying and maybe one or two more boxes and reload with fresh ammo. On my typical range days I shoot either a Glock 19 or 34 just because ammo is cheaper. I also mix in shooting a Glock 20 10mm but only carry it if I am I the woods and might need to protect myself against hog/ bear..... hope that never happens. All are really fun to shoot.

I’ve been fortunate this year to average some hand gun range time almost every week. When it’s just me by myself I shoot about 25rnds per session with my main carry which is a SS MR920. The first 2 rounds are always my carry load, then I download the carry mag and use 115grn FMJ for the rest. About once a month my wife or kids or friends or all of the above join me and that’s usually when I’ll pull out some diversity. I’m glad to be getting consistent and quality range time in with my primary, but I’m very overdue for a mid-long range session with a rifle.