Favorite caliber for distances of 150+ yards?

scatman

I realized why there was some confusion, I too was a little confused, because I thought this round had been around longer, but when I read that link, for whatever reason, probably the bourbon, noticed the Carcano, which I've shot plenty of times, and thought it was the same round.

Edited by scatman
12 minutes ago, RussK said:

Haven't seen anything said about a 7mm magnum ...  Looking at one and a 30-06 .. trying to make up my mind and doing a lot of reading ... any opinions ?

It has been my experience that this is a matter of preference. It's the famouse battle of .20 cal variant vs .30 cal variant, lighter rounds have been found to have flatter trajectories. 

16 minutes ago, RussK said:

Haven't seen anything said about a 7mm magnum ...  Looking at one and a 30-06 .. trying to make up my mind and doing a lot of reading ... any opinions ?

The 7mm Mag. is a fine caliber but bullet weight is limited. For me the 300 Win. Mag. was a better choice for reloading. More variations of bullet weight can be used in this caliber. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, billyblazes said:

From 100 yards to 1250 yards I enjoy what I can do with 6.5 Creedmoor.  I'm only punching paper or hitting steel, but the fast, flat shooting bullet has made me appear to be a better shooter than I am.

I've said the same thing about mine. Ammo is/was expensive. Even more now... 

I’m still a huge fan of 30-06. Maybe because I load and shoot so much of it.

I also really like 270WSM for longer ranges. I have my eye on the 6.8 Western also. Similar to 270WSM but with faster twist bbl

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

I guess I'm the only person who still likes it and and is willing to throw out 308win. The furthest I have ever shot is 650m but the 308 did that just fine. It is my deer rifle (18" AR308) of choice and I got four deer this past season all in the 160-200m range and 3 didn't move 10' from where I shot them. The 4th was just a bad shot on my end. I tripped on a root and dropped my rifle, startled a young antler-less buck, I picked up the rifle and waited for him to pause, he did and in my haste to make up for dropping the rifle and nearly busting my..... cheeks.... I forgot basic marksman ship and didn't utilize a hold over so instead of a good hit I gut shot the poor guy. He took off. but all the others plopped right down. 

• Like 3