Favorite caliber for distances of 150+ yards?

scatman

1 hour ago, FireMedic said:

I guess I'm the only person who still likes it and and is willing to throw out 308win. The furthest I have ever shot is 650m but the 308 did that just fine. It is my deer rifle (18" AR308) of choice and I got four deer this past season all in the 160-200m range and 3 didn't move 10' from where I shot them. The 4th was just a bad shot on my end. I tripped on a root and dropped my rifle, startled a young antler-less buck, I picked up the rifle and waited for him to pause, he did and in my haste to make up for dropping the rifle and nearly busting my..... cheeks.... I forgot basic marksman ship and didn't utilize a hold over so instead of a good hit I gut shot the poor guy. He took off. but all the others plopped right down. 

308 is my main night cartridge. I've shot a staggering amount of 308. It's biggest problem is that it's not sexy anymore. For hunting, my cut-off is 450 yards. Most bullets break the 1800 fps barrier at that point. I've done quite a bit of 1k yard target shooting with it also. If I'm shooting in town I do fall back to the 5.56 for safety reasons. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

308 is my main night cartridge. I've shot a staggering amount of 308. It's biggest problem is that it's not sexy anymore. For hunting, my cut-off is 450 yards. Most bullets break the 1800 fps barrier at that point. I've done quite a bit of 1k yard target shooting with it also. If I'm shooting in town I do fall back to the 5.56 for safety reasons. 

lol, this struck me as funny, thinking  of being in the city and shooting.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:04 PM, RussK said:

Haven't seen anything said about a 7mm magnum ...  Looking at one and a 30-06 .. trying to make up my mind and doing a lot of reading ... any opinions ?

Split the difference and get a 280 Remington. 30-06 case with the 7mm projectile.

• Like 2
On 6/21/2022 at 7:16 PM, AuEagle said:

WW Case-60 GR H4831(Old Formula)- 130 Gr Sierra SBT.

Old Jack O'Connor load. Shoots 3/4" groups out of my 1948 vintage Model 70.

Chrono'd @ 3240 FPS.

If it works, it’s hard to argue against, and there’s no need to reinvent the wheel.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just my thoughts...

Very surprised to see all the diffrent caliber preferences.  Granted, actual use not declared whether hunting or target but, imo, a great all around is the 308 Winchester.  500 yard steel targets ring out with regularity.  On a good eye day, even the 4 inch swingers get action at that distance.  For MOA fans, 150 grain ballistics is not a lot diffrent than a 5.56 in that a 100 zero gets a 2, 4, 7 or 11 MOA crank for 200, 300, 400 and 500 yard clang action.

For me, hunting past 300 is not ethical.  Really, 250 these days since my eyes just don't make the grade anymore.  Harvesting good meat is what matters so a magnum blaster up close is just not required.  In fact, that was one of the reasons i went tinkering with the 350 Legend and 458 SOCOM.  150 yards is a cakewalk for both of those calibers but no farther.  So overall, the 308/7.62x51 rules around my camp for an all purpose go-to.

Smoky

• Like 2

250 -300 yds. is about the maximum distance for where I normally hunt, so my old stand-byes still give me good results. For myself, I'll stay with my .257 Roberts or 6.5x55 Swede or .308 Win. or my tried and true 30-06 Gov. 

I like to vary my hunting rifles and give them all a chance out of the safe. But if I'm just ringing steel or stump busting, my .308 Win is my rifle of choice. I've exercised it out to +700 yds. which is the farthest available to me.

WYT-P

Skyhunter   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 7MM 08 Savage Axis with a weaver 3 X 9 scope now. been playing with it for a while now. Got this because they were our 0f 6.5 Creedmoor. Do like 30 06 because I am old school. Gave my grandson a Savage Axis 308 with a Weaver 3 X 9 scope on it. He took a doe with it this year in S Carolina. 

Go-to guns for zero to 500 yards (farthest I will shoot at game, and then only under very ideal wind conditions) are:

1) .25-06 Rem (light recoil; punches high above it's weight-class)

2) .270 Win (pretty sure this is the best deer/antelope cartridge ever made)

3) .308 Win (cheap ammo & effective on hogs, deer, & bison so far...it just works & I like that)

If I was playing the target game out to 1000yds, they say 6.5 Creedmoor or .300 WSM are the ticket to success (I own neither.)

If I lived out West and pursued elk in grizzly country, or I lived & hunted Alaska, I'd favor the .300 WinMag or .338 WinMag.

If I lived in TN and just wanted to bump off Bambi now and again @ 300 yards or less, I might just go with the .243 Win or 6mm Creedmoor since they are gentle on the wallet & shoulder.

If my TN hunting property was wooded with little to no chance of a shot farther than 150 yards, I'd use my Grandpa's Win Mod 71 in .348 Win just because I could.