Favorite caliber for distances of 150+ yards?

scatman

1 hour ago, You'reNobodyImportant said:

.223 all the way to a 1000 yards.. it's a lot of fun! 

Woo Wee! You must be the King of Compensation.  I like the 223, but I don't think I could hit anything but dirt out at 1000 yards. 

• Like 1

Favorite caliber for distances of 150+ yards?  non-target specific takes me to the most consistently steerable projectiles from 150-2000 yards: 50BMG.  I can keep all 10 rounds in the mag on target with my long barrel M-82 and flight paths are so consistent with ANY ammo it’s almost boring if I weren’t giggling.  Wait, was that me laughing? I can’t hear anything… Okay, there MAY be a possible downside.  Oh & keep your spotter out of the muzzle-brake angle to avoid ragdolling them- this can be frowned upon.

2 hours ago, cannonball said:

I’m going to say .204 Ruger since I enjoy shooting my Remington VTR especially at the range. It’s a good conversation starter as I had several people come up and ask me what kind of rifle I’m shooting. 

I owned a VTR years ago. Very accurate rifle. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I owned a VTR years ago. Very accurate rifle. 

I bought this rifle when I was still in my 30’s and could get well below 1” groups at 200 yards at that time with factory ammo. Now that I’m 50 I don’t think I could do as well, I’m just not as steady as I used to be. I haven’t shot groups with it in some time but that hasn’t helped the coyote population either. I’ll go back to shooting targets whenever I start missing coyotes. Ammo is too hard to find and expensive when you do find it. 

1 hour ago, cannonball said:

I bought this rifle when I was still in my 30’s and could get well below 1” groups at 200 yards at that time with factory ammo. Now that I’m 50 I don’t think I could do as well, I’m just not as steady as I used to be. I haven’t shot groups with it in some time but that hasn’t helped the coyote population either. I’ll go back to shooting targets whenever I start missing coyotes. Ammo is too hard to find and expensive when you do find it. 

That triangle barrel always had the cool factor.

• Like 1

.308 for me.  It's a very well thrashed-out chambering, and is equally at home in battle rifles or precision bolt actions.   There are gazillions of .30 caliber bullets available and it's a caliber you can shoot rather inexpensively if you want to.   it's got some good legs and a punch that will do the job when it gets way out there.

There are better choices for specific scenarios but .308 is pretty much ubiquitous.  It's not the new kid on the block or hardly sexy to talk about, but its effectiveness will cover 95% of everything on this continent.   Plus I like to shoot battle rifles!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My all around is the lowly 308, cheap plentiful, easy on the barrel. If I needed more horsepower and range 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Western for new cartridges. The Western claims to have better ballistics than 300 win mag at 500yds

• 3 months later...