TVA asking customers to conserve electricity

17 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So what’s gonna happen when everybody drives home from work and plugs their electric cars in to recharge?

Ya’ll seen TVA building any more plants near you?

I'll just plug mine into the diesel generator. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

We really need to be going full on into nuclear. I don’t understand how this isn’t so completely effing obvious to everyone. 

Nuclear is probably the most regulated thing in the U.S., even more than people, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So what’s gonna happen when everybody drives home from work and plugs their electric cars in to recharge?

Ya’ll seen TVA building any more plants near you?

Already happening.   Can't attest to the validity of the screenshot, but seems quite plausible.

Screenshot_20220603-123006_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Trekbike
  • Haha 5

I don’t know how many here are familiar with .gov municipal construction practices, but going through traditional channels, you’d die of starvation before you gained the necessary permits to construct a sandwich.

This stuff won’t be solved in a few months, and if a near sighted fool like me can see it coming, it’s bound to be a disaster.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

This stuff won’t be solved in a few months, and if a near sighted fool like me can see it coming, it’s bound to be a disaster.

No, it’s not.  But it does need to be addressed.  The last time I checked the population is not decreasing, demand is only growing for resources, and no one wants to come to an equitable solution to ease us into some kind of sustainability.

Buy electric cars now is as equally ignorant as drill, baby, drill.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I live in the middle of nowhere. There are currently over 200 outstanding build permits within 1 1/2 miles of me and these houses are being built as fast as possible. We currently can’t produce enough electricity to meet current needs apparently. This is scary.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I live in the middle of nowhere. There are currently over 200 outstanding build permits within 1 1/2 miles of me and these houses are being built as fast as possible. We currently can’t produce enough electricity to meet current needs apparently. This is scary.

Locusts could probably learn a thing or two from “people”.

8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Its water in these parts. We are maxed out and have 900 new residential connections to meet by years end 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Nuclear is probably the most regulated thing in the U.S., even more than people, lol.

That’s very true, and now you’ll hear a very rare thing from me, I’m totally ok with that in this instance. Regardless, nuclear energy and strengthening the power grid should be a national project on the level or greater than of the creation of the TVA in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Just wait until the climate cultists get their way and reduce/eliminate coal and natural gas.  You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. 

• Angry 2

Sorry. 

Everything is good. It’s just the heat this week. Nothing to worry about. 

TVA did bring another reactor on line at Watts Bar. And they have built several new combined cycle power plants to replace aging coal fired plants at Paradise, John Sevier and Allen. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

We really need to be going full on into nuclear. I don’t understand how this isn’t so completely effing obvious to everyone. 

I agree, but it needs to be the right kind of nuclear. PWR's are 70 year old technology, there's way better ideas now. The NRC needs to look forward, not backwards. 

As for all the new neighbors..... welcome to summer in the south!   We haven't had a real scorcher in a few years, we're due. It's not even July yet much less August, get ready.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, peejman said:

PWR's are 70 year old technology

I spent my career in Naval nuclear propulsion, and I can tell you that nuclear power generation requires fully-proven technology, and you aren't likely to see cutting edge tech on a nuclear power plant. The Navy is very deliberate about upgrading the instrumentation of its power plants. They DO upgrade the tech, but it's probably a generation or two behind other systems, and with very good reason.  I imagine that civilian nuclear power generation follows similar upgrade protocols.

2 hours ago, peejman said:

I agree, but it needs to be the right kind of nuclear. PWR's are 70 year old technology, there's way better ideas now. The NRC needs to look forward, not backwards. 

As for all the new neighbors..... welcome to summer in the south!   We haven't had a real scorcher in a few years, we're due. It's not even July yet much less August, get ready.  

Remember about 8-10 years ago when it was so hot and dry that we were under a water use restriction? 

Suppose TVA is looking over their shoulder now at the Hartsville nuclear plant they started back in the mid 70s. Would have been the world's largest at that time. One cooling tower still standing.

Supposedly, they decided they didn't need it. Great planning by someone.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Darrell said:

I spent my career in Naval nuclear propulsion, and I can tell you that nuclear power generation requires fully-proven technology, and you aren't likely to see cutting edge tech on a nuclear power plant. The Navy is very deliberate about upgrading the instrumentation of its power plants. They DO upgrade the tech, but it's probably a generation or two behind other systems, and with very good reason.  I imagine that civilian nuclear power generation follows similar upgrade protocols.

I work in aviation so I understand the desire to use proven technology. But building more of the same obsolete thing because that's all you know how to do isn't the best course of action. 

• Like 1