AR ammo prices at lowest now or wait

So I was wrong, ammo prices did come down.

Two local gun stores have 22/556 55 gr fmj for 9.95 and 8.95 per 20 rounds respectively.  PMC

Am wondering if I should empty my pockets now, or wait to see if it goes lower.

3 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I can’t remember the last time I saw 5.56 for $0.45/round. 

well maybe. Christmas 2020

SG Ammo has 1000 Round Case - 223 Rem PMC 55 Grain FMJ-BT Brass Case Ammo - 223A for 479 bucks free shipping right now. Just got the email today. Pretty good price compared to what we’ve been seeing. 

Wait if you can, if you can’t get what you need.  Just starting to nudge down.  Another six months of Brandon’s economy will help.  Maybe when 22lr hits a nickel a pew and 223 is 40 cent and primers show up in bulk indicating production is slowing.  

12 hours ago, ohell said:

Wait if you can, if you can’t get what you need.  Just starting to nudge down.  Another six months of Brandon’s economy will help.  Maybe when 22lr hits a nickel a pew and 223 is 40 cent and primers show up in bulk indicating production is slowing.  

Thanks. Yeah 22 is almost affordable again. Primers I suspect will remain costly if you can find them. 

I'm on the fence with waiting for prices to go down on 5.56 because recent leaks have given information that the Biden administration is trying to get Winchester to stop selling their surplus to civilians. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
38 minutes ago, scatman said:

I'm on the fence with waiting for prices to go down on 5.56 because recent leaks have given information that the Biden administration is trying to get Winchester to stop selling their surplus to civilians. 

Yep. Here is an article on it..

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-biden-administration-moves-to-cut-off-lake-city-223-5-56-ammo-from-the-commercial-market/

Silly. Won’t stop capitalism.  Sold as pull down or new components.   But they’re trying their best to make it inconvenient.  Background checks on ammo is popular conversation again because it’s a feel good do something.  It’s about tracking what you do incrementally until you can’t leave home without your cell phone tracking movement like 🇨🇳    background checks on ammo does nothing other then logs someone purchasing what someone else considers too much  promoting a🚩 to take your stuff.  If you’re not emailing all government reps these days once a week you don’t care about 2A and even that probably puts you on a list. 
so goes back to wait if you can but have what you need to support your pursuit of happiness.  

18 hours ago, JustEd said:

Will they continue to sell .223?  That would be humorous as most 223 vs 5.56 factory ammo has the same ballistics in the bullet weight (in general).

Funny politicians 🤣

Yea, but ARs chambered for just .223 only will not be able to use 5.56 - vice versa, 5.56 barrels can handle 223...
FJB!

i am happy to run 223 through my 5.56 AR as manufacturer lists same velocity (Hornady) for bullet weight.

Point is, if I have to label my ammo 223 instead of the vil 5.56 but get the same performance...fine!

Joke is on them at that point.

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, JustEd said:

i am happy to run 223 through my 5.56 AR as manufacturer lists same velocity (Hornady) for bullet weight.

Point is, if I have to label my ammo 223 instead of the vil 5.56 but get the same performance...fine!

Joke is on them at that point.

Hmmmm

Edited by BHunted
On 6/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, scatman said:

A couple of points to consider:

1. The federal government owns the Lake City Ammunition plant, Winchester only has the contract to operate it.  Nothing in this EO affects Winchester's own plants or production ...

2.  M855 is essentially already out of production, as the military switched to M855A1 years ago.  There may be some quantities of M109 still being produced, but M855 is already obsolete, at least as far as military contracts go.  Therefore banning "excess" sales of a product no longer made is meaningless ...

Although I have no doubt that the current administration would gladly curtail most, if not all civilian ammunition sales, this probably isn't the calamity its made out to be on some of these websites ...

• Like 1