Lake City ammo too dangerous for civilians

As if ammo isn't already too expensive.  Some elbow that wants to shoot up a school isn't going to care if the ammo is a bit more expensive, they'll never pay that credit card bill anyway. But it will certainly have an effect on those who like to put a bunch of rounds downrange. FJB indeed!

• Like 1

According to the article Lake City provides 30% of the 5.56 ammo on the market. The plant is run by Winchester and that would be a huge loss of revenue for them. I'm thinking Winchester could easily pressure Joe by withholding military production until he reverses this order. 

• Like 1

Fine, just fulfill the govt. contract to the exact number, change the label and rebrand it for the commercial market.    I am also not sure how the Govt can just change the contract terms for the supplier.  Winchester is not a govt entity.  I have done plenty of business with govt.  They don't get to tell us what we can and can't sell to other people.  If the Govt is supplying the whole goods, then maybe, but that doesn't make sense either.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
Just now, Hozzie said:

Fine, just fulfill the govt. contract to the exact number, change the label and rebrand it for the commercial market.    I am also not sure how the Govt can just change the contract terms for the supplier.  Winchester is not a govt entity.  I have done plenty of business with govt.  They don't get to tell us what we can and can't sell to other people.  If they aren't supplying the whole goods, screw em.

This admin like to play dictator with corporations. I witnessed that first hand when they labeled airlines as government contractors simply so they could required the covid vax. We need some corporations to start pushing back on the .gov

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Fine, just fulfill the govt. contract to the exact number, change the label and rebrand it for the commercial market. 

Nice idea, but Lake City ammo is more than just a label on the box.  Lake City has its own headstamps on the cartridge cases.  No one will be changing those easily.

7 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Nice idea, but Lake City ammo is more than just a label on the box.  Lake City has its own headstamps on the cartridge cases.  No one will be changing those easily.

The question is simply who owns the rights the name Lake City.  No telling what the contract  actually says, but they will always try to bully business to get what they want.  And Winchester makes other headstamped ammo.  Just keep it coming on those lines, although I am sure they are already maxed out.  Or buy additional press plates.  There is money to be made.  Someone will do it.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

Based on the wording in the article, it implies that the US Military owns the Lake City plant and Winchester just operates it for them.    If that is in fact true, then the gov can do what they're saying.   

Never thought about it before but it would make sense that the military would want to own an ammo plant to have a secure/stable supply.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Based on the wording in the article, it implies that the US Military owns the Lake City plant and Winchester just operates it for them.    If that is in fact true, then the gov can do what they're saying.   

Never thought about it before but it would make sense that the military would want to own an ammo plant to have a secure/stable supply.

This is correct. Lake City is wholly owned by the U.S. Gov. and operation of the plant is contracted out. Olin took over the contract just a couple years ago.