Scam Gun Sites - Add them here

While searching the web on my phone last night for ammo deals (looking for 6.5 Grendel) I came across a site (www.ammozdepot.com) that had some really good prices on Wolf.  In retrospect, too good.  Still, I put an order in my cart, then saw that there was a minimum "$150" order.  So, I put some 300BO in the cart to get the order up to the minimum.  going to the checkout, they offer PayPal as a payment choice (Cool I think), but they also offer Zelle.  Hmm, I think.  My Spidy Senses start tingling and I decide to look for reviews on this site.  I find some "Scam Check" sites that say ok things and some that say bad things.  I then find a posting to Pay Pal from someone who felt they were scammed by the site.  They placed a order and then were asked to use F&F to make the payment.  They did and never heard back from the web site.  I then got onto some other gun forums and found more references to the site as being a scam.  I backed away and called it good.

Today I went back and looked at the site again.  Initially, it looks to be a well put together site.  They say all the right things to get you to believe it is legit.  But as you look deeper, it looks to be almost an AI generated site or a template web site that has been modified just enough to "look" legit.  When you get deeper into the site, much of the "Text" associated with the pages is Latin gibberish.

Anyway, avoid Ammozdeals.com.  

If you run across any other scam sites, let's post them so we keep our folks safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine just asked this morning if a gun site (https://taurususaguns.com/) was legitimate.  It looks like a valid site, but bells start ringing when a firearm dealer doesn't show a physical address or phone number anywhere.  What really screamed "Scammer" is they only accept Zelle or Cryptocurrency for payment. 

Always make sure you have a recourse to recover your money from online purchases.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Classicfirearmsshop.com is definitely a scam. I bought an old sks engorged in cosmoline from classicfirearms.com a few years ago so when I searched for another gun recently the SECOND search result for  Classicfirearms.com was this one. It's right there on the search results! Didn't think a thing about it when I found how professional the site looked. Same as with the other posts in this thread, PayPal and Zelle were payment options along with credit card. Eagerly I went through every step wanting the deal that was offered. Thank God for the security measures imposed by creditors for online purchases. I really made every effort to make the buy but could not for the life of me transfer my hard earned dollars to Nigeria (or wherever). Yeah, lesson learned after moving the effort to text messages. They were eager to help as cc payments failed after multiple attempts. Tried cashapp and others to no avail. They said they accept gift cards and suggested going to Walmart. 

So I'm standing in the store looking at the cards when I see that none of the cards will cover the cost of the purchase. Gift cards there are limited to $500.  I'd have to buy multiple cards and pay all those costs. Yep, it took that for me to think about what I was doing. I walked around the store for a bit and walked back out. Then I made the call. It took that long. Yes, I'm a dope. So I called the legit site and explained my dilemma. The gal on the other side was like, "What, never heard of that." Then it clicked. 

OK before I get all the hate, check my perspective. I've not made an online purchase since the sks and am well aware of the hate from the pay companies like PayPal and Chase for guns so it was easy to come to the conclusion that it's just plain difficult to buy a gun online. 

So after I got my head out of my... I went to a legit site and got what I wanted. Lesson learned. I suppose the best lesson is call when in doubt. Thought I knew all the tricks, but it's their full time job ripping us off. Learn from my mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, Big 10 Biden said:

I suppose the best lesson is call when in doubt

We have annual internet security training; don't click on a link if you don't know the sender and yes,

Call the sender / organization to validate!

Be cautious, you may get the one English speaking scammer in Estonia.

Multi billion dollar business, not going away anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

They've got this site up and running this month.  When buyer attempts to pay with credit card, the buyer is told they only accept Zelle.  Seemed like a legit website and I didn't find thebusiness as flagged as a scammer.  So, I sent money for a gun.  Have since discovered it's a scam website.  Lesson learned...

BEWARE!

https://tennessee-guns.com/  Payment address: PerkJim749@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

If I was a really, really GOOD internet scammer and my focus was setting up fake online gun stores, I would love running a search and finding a thread like this. None of us means to, but for any of them looking to get better at their craft, we are critiquing them to perfection. 
Not that many of them are that smart, but for the % or two that are, we give them every shortcoming on a silver platter. I’ve done it before in great detail, telling other forum members what to look for. Oh well.

18 hours ago, jeff43 said:

I think they were first in line jacking the ammo prices up in the first shortage.

Oh my, yes they were, that was LEGENDARY how blatant they were! Wasn’t that back in the Obama years?

On 11/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, Erik88 said:

Not quite a scam but close is Cheaper Than Dirt. I haven't ordered anything from them in a decade. 

CTD is by no means a scam.  It’s capitalism at its finest and a suckers paradise.  

I wonder how many people bought from them in some imaginary emergency that won’t admit to it, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
On 11/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Erik88 said:

Not quite a scam but close is Cheaper Than Dirt. I haven't ordered anything from them in a decade. 

One of CTDs tricks is if you order multiple items they will ship from separate warehouses. I believe they have 4 or 5 different warehouses which all stock different items.  They will charge separate shipping from each warehouse. Shipping often adds up to more than the items themselves.  🤬

And yes, CTD is well known for scalping customers badly. I'm amazed that they are still in business. Especially considering that much of their merchandise is the cheapest of imported garbage. 👎

On 11/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Erik88 said:

i may be the only person here who ever got something good from CTD. Granted it's been a long time ago...6/7+ years I think. Ordered some Smith 59 mags from them. Actually got them. But haven't ordered since. They have changed way to much for me to try again.

Actually CTD was once a good company. Well known for mil-surp ammo and equipment at good prices. I remember years back buying 1000 rd cases of 7.62X39 mil-surp for $75 each.  IIRC somewhere about the time of the first serious ammo shortages of the 90s, they changed ownership. The new owners realized that they had warehouses full of cheap mil-surp ammo and gouged the hell outta their customers for it. CTD had ammo in stock when nobody else did. But you would have to pay dearly for it. Since then its been all about making as much money as possible and the hell with the customer. 🤬

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything from CTD but I have no problem with their use of capitalism to make a buck.  A fair price is whatever a buyer is willing to pay and CTD is willing to accept.  I’ve seen some of their prices and sometimes they are stupid but the same can be said about some of the classifieds here.  

primerswarehouse.com is a scam

I placed an order and then got a text from someone telling me to send money through Zelle to some random person whose name was not listed on the website. This seems to be a common theme.

buymymags.com is a scam

I placed an order and six months later it still hadn't arrived, and the tracking number showed that the label was created and nothing had been shipped. There's no publicly available email address or phone number for them to contact them about it, and the only way to contact them is through creating an account. So if you did a guest checkout, you're just screwed, because the order doesn't show up on your account if you create it afterward... such as to ask why your order hasn't been shipped after six months.

Edited by Cottonmouth
  • Thanks 1