Midsouth shooters AR package

BJB

Hey Guys. 
I have been wanting to build a AR. Nothing fancy but functional. Just received an add from Midsouth shooters on a package deal but I have never heard of this brand. Is this a good deal. Not exactly what I am wanting in an AR but can upgrade over time to make it what I want. 95853AA4-51AE-4FEA-ABA6-609811B2D161.thumb.png.a84e05f5d15cef9b8b80ab3b259cb022.png

if you want a nice mid tier build, Aero has some good combos at various discounts, and will offer more going into the 4th.  no tax and free shipping. Sign up for notification until you get want you need. Note that some of the more desirable upper setups can sell quickly. 

• Like 1

I have several kit AR's. First one is ~10 years old with a round count in the thousands. It has done competative shooting, carbine training, new shooters, and range blasting without ever a stoppage that wasn't the ammo and never a broken part. With good ammo, 1 moa accurate.

They are fine mil-spec basic rifles.

I never understood statements where people say thee are sub-standard but never explain why. The truth is the last time I saw, there were only 5 or 6 AR forgers in the US. All companies buy from them and have thier names added. Very well could a $2000 Dandiel Defence came from the very same forge as a $500 completed Del-Ton.

Only difference is the name and added accesories.

If you are looking for a fun kit to assemble and end up with a basic service carbine that will last a very long time and allow you "upgrade" bits in the future, this kit would be my idea of the way to go. I would't even think twice about assembling one on a Friday night to run in a carbine course on Saturday morning.

Edited by DO-TN
4 minutes ago, DO-TN said:

I have several kit AR's. First one is ~10 years old with a round count in the thousands. It has done competative shooting, carbine training, new shooters, and range blasting without ever a stoppage that wasn't the ammo and never a broken part. With good ammo, 1 moa accurate.

I never understood statements where people say thee are sub-standard but never explain why. The truth is the last time I saw, there were only 5 or 6 AR forgers in the US. All companies buy from them and have thier names added. Very well could a $2000 Dandiel Defence came from the very same forge as a $500 completed Del-Ton.

If you are looking for a fun kit to assemble and end up with a basic service carbine that will last a very long time and allow you "upgrade" bits in the future, this kit would be my idea of the way to go. I would't even think twice about assembling one on a Friday night to run in a carbine course on Saturday morning.

I agree with you on the upper and lower receiver. They are either in spec or out of spec. The important parts are the barrel, trigger, and bcg. I would recommend spending a bit more to get better quality on these parts. I’m not saying you can’t get a good, cheap barrel, but the odds are more in favor of it if you buy a pricier model….usually.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a completed DelTon AR15 16" m4.  It did have a problem with the front sight being a bit off center, not much.  It was a rack display gun at very popular lgs so, who knows.

DelTon promptly replaced the barrel and front sight.  IT shoots absolutely great.

Sight in group, after refit, is 3/8" by 9/16" at 25 yards....dead center.  That is using factory iron sights off a rest.

Fit and finish is good, but its not as slick operating as say a S&W or Ruger AR.  Still, I have no complaints as a knock around gun. 

fullsizeoutput_2c00.thumb.jpeg.4fb6da7343a593fe3607feba25a9c04e.jpeg

Edited by JustEd
added photo to show center group in red

I think you are correct about most of them coming from the same forges. But I am sure DD do not, nor do LWRCI's. If you would have said S&W or Anderson or alex pro sure.

Now that I think about it, DD's could, I was wrong in thinking it was the lower that is unique, but it is the upper that is unique on a DD.

Edited by tmauto769

Saying they all come from the same forges therefore have no difference is like saying all Bourbons have no difference since they come from the same corn. 

You don’t shoot forged blanks 😉

Greg hit biggies on components , but would also say assembly and upper tolerances play a sizeable understated part in it. In the case of a kit that comes with an assembled upper as was the ask, even more true.

Now if it’s a complete roll your own, that is a different discussion.

• Like 3

Now I’ll say this. I’ve put together quite a few AR pattern carbines and rifles using everything from bargain basement parts to all top end stuff. A little extra money usually makes a better build. A LOT of extra money makes a bit better build. In my experience, every one I’ve assembled worked flawlessly and exceeded accuracy expectations. All in all, the AR15 is an excellent design.

The fact I haven’t been able to screw it up is a testament to it’s simplicity and superior mechanical design.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

I would suggest if you know what you want from a basic standpoint e.g. barrel length, gas length, etc. you can probably get a complete upper from Aero or BCM and put together a lower with a decent trigger like a LaRue and have yourself a might fine blaster that is exactly what you want.  Anytime I have bought an AR with the intent of "upgrading" it to what I really wanted all along it ends up costing more time and money than if I would have just done it right the first time

If you are just looking for cheap, keep your eyes open, there have been several factory complete rifle deals in the $300 to $400 range in the past couple months. A lot more between 4 and 500. All probably above Delton from what I hear. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 7:01 AM, DO-TN said:

okay, I’ll get into it since no one ever does. 

will cheap stuff work?  Yes, probably most of the time too.  But are you going to have a reliable or accurate rifle?  Well that’s a crapshoot.  You see, what you pay for with the bigger companies and higher tier rifles are tighter tolerances and better QC. 

I have sent back numerous uppers and countless barrel/bolt combos for being out of spec.  Common failures are chambers that won’t pass a 5.56 go gauge.  Is that a catastrophic failure?  No.  Can it lead to one?  Yes.  Can’t FSBs are common.  Poor gas ports and crappy bores.  

I have no problem with anyone buying cheap AR stuff.  I want people to understand what they are buying and inspect their parts carefully.  At the bare minimum, gauge the parts you can.  Some parts can be gauged off of each other.  Some require actual gauges.  

I’ve worked on enough to know that simply plugging pieces together is not enough.  You don’t have to be an AR armorer or a gunsmith to properly build an AR.   But it does take more than a few forum threads or YouTube videos to ensure that you have a rifle you can depend on.  And it’s not that much more.