Running my newest 10

I was at Range USA picking a AR15 lower up and had extra time to browse-

They had the Springfield XDM Elite in the 4 inch barrel that looked like it needed a home-

I left before the urge overtook my better sense-

I have 2 other 10mm's-one in a RIS Ultra 1911and the other in a S&W 610-3 revolver-

I wasn't sure how much I would like the 10mm when I bought the Smith-now I reload for the caliber-

• Like 1

better senses.....pffft

Sounds to close to thinking, no thanks, I already have too much money.聽聽 馃槃

Funny thing I was thinking as I drove home was, a 4" 610 would be a good add!聽

FWIW, I would go with the 4.5 if you happen to run into one unless s&w does a PC version of their full size M&P10. I usually gravitate to 4" in most plastic guns, but that little bit seems to really work for auto 10's. Less recoil than than the 1066, which was initially a surprise (I am going to add a heavier recoil spring after today).聽 I had a G29, really tried to like it, but never clicked.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Erich said:

better senses.....pffft

Sounds to close to thinking, no thanks, I already have too much money.聽聽 馃槃

Funny thing I was thinking as I drove home was, a 4" 610 would be a good add!聽

FWIW, I would go with the 4.5 if you happen to run into one unless s&w does a PC version of their full size M&P10. I usually gravitate to 4" in most plastic guns, but that little bit seems to really work for auto 10's. Less recoil than than the 1066, which was initially a surprise (I am going to add a heavier recoil spring after today).聽 I had a G29, really tried to like it, but never clicked.

4 inch I think is the best all around-easiest in a holster anyways-

IMG_20201022_092115637.jpg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Good looking weapons. Out of the 3 do you have a favorite or get better performance from 聽

That's a good question, and I have a list of disclaimers for context, lol. They are all pretty different and are more effected by my current level of practice (lacking) over the last year.

On the day, short version for performance goes 20C > XDM > 1066

The favorites would be a mash up of things about each really. the 20C and XDM are much closer and almost tie. As much as I love the feel of the Gen 3 S&W's and its great balance with that length slide, I stopped after 3 mags. But that was more me problem than the gun itself.聽

The 20C was a standout performer more from a familiarity standpoint. My last sighting target (switched out trijicons for OEM plastic)聽 will better explain. In general I have 100's of thousands of rounds thru Glocks, when I am not current they hide my lack of practice best. Related to that, that gun has a great 3lb trigger and the factory comp setup works. All my Glocks are C models except for the RTF frame doners. Even though it consistently performs for me, the reason it cant get the nod as THE favorite is that it has the worst ergo fit. I sometimes run an RTF SF frame with that upper which makes it just about right. But wanted to be fair to the XDM as its stock currently.

The XDM is bone stock, I wanted to see how it felt on recoil and sort sight picture for any adjustments. Only about 50 rounds thru it, I see lots of potential and it will give my 20C a run for its money when done if not surpass it. Its ergos are better, and though the test target doesnt show it to the degree its capable, it has good accuracy. Its recoil is more noticeable and聽 I was letting it down being focused on the longish sear engagement as I was weighing going with a PRP trigger. The answer to that is yes in the end. With the trigger and gas pedal to make up for the comp, I expect good things to come.

The 1066. I got this 3 years ago as a stable mate for my 1006, and this is the first time I shot it. I love the look and feel, as with any Gen 3 smith. The shorter slide balance is perfect. The novaks on it I could not sort out. I had no idea where it was hitting with the first mag. The hold from my 1006 wasnt working and 0 hits on target. It had to be shameful for anyone watching. It wasnt until I was on the end of 3rd mag I got a sense for it. After that I noticed the brass was flying twice as far as the plastic guns and help explain why the recoil felt excessive for its heft. Its 30 year old recoil spring is done or the original owner swapped it for something too light. It needs a heavier recoil spring to slow it down and not beat the frame, on top of me doing my job. So called it quits early for it. As much as I love these for what they are, gen 3's triggers are not great by any stretch. This one is far worse than my 1006. No excuses there, it was all me and need to not bring any plastic fantastic with it. Rather the 1006 next time after new springs and maybe smoothing of the internals.

These targets were at 12 yards.聽 Top pic is the Glock. I shoot the stupid plastic cheapo sights that Glock folks malign better than the spendy ones. The gaps are perfect they just make sense to me after countless rounds on them. I think its a good thing. The bottom is the XDM. I changed my grip after I was high and got that mediocre group while feeling the sear, so given I wasnt really trying I think it will tighten up great. Not going to touch the sights for now, still working out my grip on the XDM.聽 The crossed out strikes were from 1066 at that聽 the target the last mag (folks should laugh) rather than hang new ones since they were still 'new' targets. 聽

If the Smith police were there, they would have take it from me I think. I wouldn't blame them.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.b96eb994c65d471b93e4eb4b7bd10033.JPG

IMG_2343.thumb.JPG.412103ed813016a988c9d945f4830d81.JPG

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

4 inch I think is the best all around-easiest in a holster anyways-

IMG_20201022_092115637.jpg

Nice! Ok, sold me. Next time I see one in my travels.

I'd normally order online, but with modern S&W wheel guns, I'd only buy one after inspecting in person.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Erich said:

Nice! Ok, sold me. Next time I see one in my travels.

I'd normally order online, but with modern S&W wheel guns, I'd only buy one after inspecting in person.

I picked this one up from a member on TGO over a year ago-was fired very minimally-

Right now, they are a little over $1000 MSRP-

Thanks for the informative feedback. I always like other shooter experience鈥檚 with different guns so what I hear is the Glock was the winner on this day 聽I have not had the opportunity to shoot one in 10 mm 聽I know the smith did not win but I really am a big 聽smith fan. I am surprised about you liking the standard glock sights. First thing 聽 I change. 聽 I am old my eyes like fiber optic 聽enjoy standard while your young LOL 馃槅 thanks again 聽OH good shooting almost forgot聽

Edited by Sleep profit

I like the Smith鈥檚 as well. It鈥檚 fair to say it was under represented this time out. I just didn鈥檛 pull it together in the short stint I gave it before side lining it. Im sure after some tuning and trigger time the gaps would all close up.聽

I think any meaningful difference would require they all be on as equal footing as possible. These definitely weren鈥檛, and want to stress that. 聽Qualifying / disclaimers may only go so far on explaining that subjective opinion. Good chance some discrepancies end up understated.

Like the effect of throwing in a ringer with a race gun trigger 馃槈