Hornady Critical Duty

Was able to purchase 150 rounds of Hornady 9 MM 135 Gr FlexLock Critical Duty Ammo this week. Have not had any of this ammo before. Looking forward to testing it out in my MP 9C 2.0 in the future. Right now, I have my roscoe loaded with Cor Bon DPX.

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Hornady ammo?

That is what is loaded in every current defensive 9mm I own. Ive run many many many many rounds of it through all of my various 9mm pistols with no hickups...

When all else fails... To the YOUTUBE machine!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, 1fast4by said:

That is what is loaded in every current defensive 9mm I own. Ive run many many many many rounds of it through all of my various 9mm pistols with no hickups...

When all else fails... To the YOUTUBE machine!

It’s my go to defensive ammo as well. It functions well out of my guns and hopefully that’s as much as I ever learn about how well it functions as a defensive round. 😂

I have carried Critical Defense for years now in all my EDC guns.  I am aware of the differences between the 2 rounds, but what is your basis for preferring the Critical Duty over the Critical defense?  Just want to understand.

• Moderators

I carry a G19 sized gun, so that’s essentially a full-size. I’m a truck driver and spend probably 80% or more of my waking hours in and around vehicles. The barrier blind properties of the critical duty round’s flex lock bullet are something that are important to me. I do use the critical defense in my Hellcat as that is a round choice that is designed for the subcompact format.

• Like 1

"Defender", Not a big difference, to me between, C Duty and C Defense. Critical duty is what they had for sale at the time.

To get technical, the duty supposed to have a slight edge on higher power, when fired in 4" and 5" brls. I like higher power (+ P) and heavy bullets in 9 MM ammo. Aids in recycle function and bullet performance, IMO. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I carry a G19 sized gun, so that’s essentially a full-size. I’m a truck driver and spend probably 80% or more of my waking hours in and around vehicles. The barrier blind properties of the critical duty round’s flex lock bullet are something that are important to me. I do use the critical defense in my Hellcat as that is a round choice that is designed for the subcompact format.

I see.  That fits with what I've red with Hornady's PR directed toward LEO organizations about the CD round being effective at penetrating objects like windshields.  I have considered carrying those in a spare magazine, but haven't acted upon that yet.  While I have CD in most of my handguns, my EDC at present is a Sig 365XL Spectre 9mm or sometimes a Ruger LCP Max .380, both of which function well with the CD rounds.  One thing I worry about with other rounds is overpenetration.