168gr 7.62x39 loads.

19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

That wouldn’t leave much room for powder would it? Would a bullet that heavy stabilize in a standard barrel?

Well, I've seen subsonic ammo with rounds this heavy for AKs, that's why I got curious. And as far as how much room for powder is concerned, there's plenty room in case for powder and the projectile, with some to spare.  I mean, you ever loaded 147gr 9mm? That bullet is practically touching the powder on some of those charges. (Yes theres room between bullet and powder still, but very very little)

• Like 1

LOL! I don’t have any answers, but keep coming up with more questions. You didn’t state what rifle you are loading for, but I’m thinking the standard projectile for a 7.62x39 is .312? Is there such a bullet as heavy as you are wanting? I wouldn’t think you’d get satisfactory results with a .308 bullet.

I’ve never reloaded for this cartridge, mainly because I haven’t ever found any brass for a reasonable price.

14 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! I don’t have any answers, but keep coming up with more questions. You didn’t state what rifle you are loading for, but I’m thinking the standard projectile for a 7.62x39 is .312? Is there such a bullet as heavy as you are wanting? I wouldn’t think you’d get satisfactory results with a .308 bullet.

I’ve never reloaded for this cartridge, mainly because I haven’t ever found any brass for a reasonable price.

You are correct about the standard being around .312 its actually .310-.311 but Hornady lists .308 diameter in their manuals for an SKS, which is what I'm shooting out of, and I currently load 155gr Hornady ELD Match bullets, get great performance out of these. Also Hornady makes 7.62x39 brass.

Edited by scatman
  • Like 1
Just now, Alleycat72 said:

Some will run undersized bullets and some will not. The longer bullets seem to work better when you're doing this however twist becomes an issue and some point. 

Thank you for the input.

A friend got a Zastava M92 7.62x39 pistol and mounted a suppressor after doing some quick machine work to the muzzle.  He set it up for Brown Bear 196 grain subsonic ammo and it runs like a sewing machine.  That thing is a hoot to shoot.  I have no idea what Brown Bear puts in the load, but it can definitely be done with a 168.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

A friend got a Zastava M92 7.62x39 pistol and mounted a suppressor after doing some quick machine work to the muzzle.  He set it up for Brown Bear 196 grain subsonic ammo and it runs like a sewing machine.  That thing is a hoot to shoot.  I have no idea what Brown Bear puts in the load, but it can definitely be done with a 168.  

Thanks mate