I could use some advice. Yep. I'm a newbie.

I'm new to reloading. 

I bought what I thought I needed. The small Lee's Reloading kit. A website pretty much led me to buy Hornaday 38 CA 158gr FP/XTP bullets.

Along with Ramshot Enforcer smokeless black powder. 

I called Hornaday and they couldn't advice me on how much powder to use. 

I saw older posts here that someone was about to use exactly what I have now, but that was an 8 year old post with no follow-up. 

Can anybody guide me here a little?  Did I get the wrong powder?

If I can use this Enforcer powder, how many scoops with that .5 spoon from my Lee's kit?

(Only using this at an indoor range on paper)

Thanks in advance!

20220622_145929.jpg

Hornady has some load data downloads here:

https://www.hornady.com/support/load-data/

Hodgdon has load data here showing some Ramshot powder

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

I am afraid you might be out of luck though. Ramshot states:

"Enforcer is the best choice for high performance, full-power loads in magnum handgun cartridges. It is ideally suited for the 44 Magnum, 454 Casull, 460 S&W and 500 S&W."

My suggestion would be to start with a powder that has manufacturer load data for your caliber and bullet. Save the Enforcer or maybe trade it for another powder. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, expendable said:

I glanced over that earlier and it’s actually a pretty good, general, all-around intro to handloading.  More than one manual is always better of course and highly recommended.

One key takeaway from that document provided by the manufacture of the powder in question is they do not list Ramshot Enforcer for .38 Special

12 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I am afraid you might be out of luck though. Ramshot states:

"Enforcer is the best choice for high performance, full-power loads in magnum handgun cartridges. It is ideally suited for the 44 Magnum, 454 Casull, 460 S&W and 500 S&W."

My suggestion would be to start with a powder that has manufacturer load data for your caliber and bullet. Save the Enforcer or maybe trade it for another powder. 

This and this again.

@CHAPPY38 There are plenty of powders that have been in use for decades and decades.  Stick with what is well known, not what is available.

• Like 1

@CHAPPY38 use Accurate No.7 for .38, I believe No.5 or No.9 for .357, check Hornady, but of all the powders I've tested over the years, Accurate has been the best for those loads. I should have some data laying around here for .357 mag using No.7 even though its not listed, I had to make due one time and worked up some loads I can share. 

Edited by scatman
  • Thanks 1

OP, check out ‘Midsouth shooter Supplies’,  they have the powder you need in stock and ship.  I’ve loaded thousands of rounds of .38 special and .357.  I have used Accurate powder for years, but there others out there just as good.

29 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

OP, check out ‘Midsouth shooter Supplies’,  they have the powder you need in stock and ship.  I’ve loaded thousands of rounds of .38 special and .357.  I have used Accurate powder for years, but there others out there just as good.

That is indeed correct, and it also depends on your firearm, different firearms produce different results, what works best for me and what I load for, may not be the best for what you load for.

• Thanks 1

I use tight group and all my pistols. You have to be careful it’s easy to overcharge. If I want to hot Rod a load I’ll do research and found find appropriate powder for the caliber of shooting. That said, the only hot rod loading I do this for a Ruger 44 magnum.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Thanks 1
On 6/23/2022 at 12:11 AM, scatman said:

Also, anyone realize this guy's location? Not that I care, just don't know if that is like, against the rules or something....

Please don't hold my living in Texas against me.  I did a search and found this site the most informative.  And you all have proven to be friendly and very helpful.  You guys are the best help I could have found. I greatly appreciate all that responded.  Thank you!

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, JustEd said:

The scoop "can" get you close, but better to do it right.

And just to show that you can get every opinion across the range when you ask a question on the internet, I'll chime in that scooping works just fine so long as you use a consistent method. I use an electronic scale when I'm loading up varying load  to test for accuracy, but for bulk reloading a scoop is fine. In fact, drop-style powder measures are just giving you a load based on volume, just as a scoop does.

BUT, I wouldn't use multiple scoops unless you don't have an option. Lee sells a set of powder dippers pretty cheap. And every Lee die set comes with a dipper and load data.

Stay simple while you're learning, follow the loading manuals, and stay on the safe side of the loads you choose. 

• Love 2

Different strokes.  Works for you, digital scale seems a cheap investment to me.

Now if you are talking about my classic Ohaus and RCBS balance beam scales....those are a bit more of an investment than needed, but are nice to own.

I can get you a balance beam for free.  It’s older than you are but gravity doesn’t lie.  PM me your address and watch your mail box.  It’s a classic Pacific and maybe be an antique. As stated above “Titegroup” is in stock at ‘Midsouth Shooters Supplies”.  It may not show up on their website as it’s a much sought after powder.  Give them a call.

• Like 1