Shooting Range

rab

On 6/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, Hozzie said:

Kettlefoot has I believe out to 1000.  You would have to join. It isn’t public.  

That is correct, on both accounts and I think they recently extended it another 200 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend joined TAC2 just for the long range and he could never get time on it. They onl schedule its use a few times a month apparently because other parts of the range need to be shut down and they never seemed willing to do it when he tried to get time on it. He quit after one year. This is all second hand info.

• Like 1

I am a member at Tac 2. You are correct. To shoot long distances you are shooting from one hill top to another, I never felt safe doing that. Kettlefoot would be the the best choice but people don’t want to pay the dues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kickoff to Hunting Season Event at John Sevier Range 

Saturday September 10, 9:00am to 2:00pm

The John Sevier Hunter Education Complex in Knoxville is hosting a Kickoff To Hunting Season event on Saturday, September 10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.  

New and experienced hunters are invited to shoot rifles, bows, handguns, and shotguns, and learn about tree stand safety.  Families are also welcome.  Attendees 16 and up need a Tier 2 Range Day Permit that is $8.00 onsite or $7.50+fees online. You can purchase online before the event at GoOutdoorsTN.com or onsite when you arrive. The fee is waived for current sportsman license holders or those holding appropriate big game licenses.  

All ranges will be staffed by certified range officers to ensure safety.  

Event Includes:

• Free Bow set-up and basic archery shooting lessons from on-site Pro-Staffers including shooting time on archery ranges. Crossbows are also welcome.
  • Handgun shooting lessons from facility firearms instructors.  Learn how to shoot different types of handguns.  Guns and ammunition will be provided.
  • Free deer scoring.  Participants are allowed to bring one deer head per person to have officially scored.
  • Site-in your favorite deer rifle.  Participants are allowed to bring one long gun of their choice (rifle or muzzleloader) to shoot on our bench rest range and our 300-yard range.
  • Try your luck at the TWRA Flurry machine.  Participants can test their shotgun shooting skills on our flurry machine that throws multiple clay pigeons in random directions and patterns.  Shotguns and ammunition will be provided.
  • Tree-stand safety classes.  A hunter education instructor will be giving instructional safety classes utilizing the newest tree stand hunting techniques including lessons with the latest hunting craze, "tree saddle."  This equipment and these techniques are all public land friendly so everyone can learn what to use and how to take advantage of the thousands of acres of public hunting opportunities in Tennessee.

The John Sevier Hunter Education Complex is located at

      2327 Rifle Range Rd.

      Knoxville, TN 37918

For further assistance or questions, contact John Sevier Range Manager Chad Gann at 865-594-6279.

I've been following this thread as it has gone along.

Just in case any of the Mods read this, would it be possible to set up a forum site that is dedicated to listing all of the public shooting ranges and their conditions/limitations within Tennessee?  There is a section for "Club News" for east, west, middle and tri-cities and a listing of all of the State's ranges sure would be handy for the members, especially as we travel within the State.

Just a thought........

Edited by Choatecav
spelling
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, DonK said:

On that note, I wish I could find a good range near Memphis. I haven't found anywhere to shoot.

Last time I turned on the evening news, it seems like many of the local "Memphians" are doing their shooting right in the streets....

Sorry, couldn't resist it.  😉

Actually, I am saddened by how this once great city has been taken over by the thugs.....

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

Last time I turned on the evening news, it seems like many of the local "Memphians" are doing their shooting right in the streets....

Sorry, couldn't resist it.  😉

Actually, I am saddened by how this once great city has been taken over by the thugs.....

Haha! Sad, but true. A month to go and we already broke the homicide record of all time by a large margin.