Supreme Court shoots down NY rule that set high bar for concealed handgun licenses

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-shoots-down-ny-rule-set-high-bar-concealed-handgun-licenses

The Supreme Court Thursday ruled 6-3 that New York’s regulations that made it difficult to obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun were unconstitutionally restrictive, and that it should be easier to obtain such a license.

The existing standard required an applicant to show "proper cause" for seeking a license, and allowed New York officials to exercise discretion in determining whether a person has shown a good enough reason for needing to carry a firearm. Stating that one wished to protect themselves or their property was not enough.

"In this case, petitioners and respondents agree that ordinary, law-abiding citizens have a similar right to carry handguns publicly for their self-defense. We too agree, and now hold, consistent with Heller and McDonald, that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home," Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in the Court's opinion. "Because the State of New York issues public-carry licenses only when an applicant demonstrates a special need for self-defense, we conclude that the State’s licensing regime violates the Constitution."

The case, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen, was the first major gun rights case before the Supreme Court in more than a decade. 

During oral arguments it seemed likely that the court's conservative justices would rule against the state.

"Why isn’t it good enough to say I live in a violent area and I want to defend myself?" Justice Brett Kavanaugh asked.

In an exchange with Justice Samuel Alito, New York Solicitor General Barbara Underwood recognized that if an applicant stated that the leave work late at night and have to walk from a subway station through a high-crime neighborhood to get home, that person would be denied because they did not cite a specific threat.

"How is that consistent with the core right to self-defense?" Alito asked, stating that this is at the core of the Second Amendment.

Conservatives did indicate that it would be reasonable to have limits on where one could bring a concealed firearm.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Moderators

Mark this day folks. This was a mortal blow to gun control in the US. The bar for control is no longer intermediate scrutiny. It’s not even strict scrutiny. It is now set at Text & History which I believe means little of current gun control regulations will stand up to pass muster. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

This is a very good thing-

I can already hear the anti's tears falling on the pavement and the utter screams of terror-

Why the blood will flow in the streets-

It will be like the Wild Wild West-

Actually, all this is already happening in Chicago-

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

This is a very good thing-

I can already hear the anti's tears falling on the pavement and the utter screams of terror-

Why the blood will flow in the streets-

Take a look at CNN.  They are moaning, wailing, rending their garments and predicting the end of the world.  Absolutely hilarious.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Mark this day folks. This was a mortal blow to gun control in the US. The bar for control is no longer intermediate scrutiny. It’s not even strict scrutiny. It is now set at Text & History which I believe means little of current gun control regulations will stand up to pass muster. 

Told y’all nothing was going to happen concerning gun control. Even the bipartisan gun bill before the senate is really nothing when you think about it. I have no problem with making 21 the legal age to purchase a rifle. I don’t like the proposed red flag laws. That’s a law just waiting to be abused.

Conservatives have the Supreme Court that they wanted. Robert’s court has consistently shown that it rules in favor of conservative issues.  I think the older folks paranoid about the big gun grab can relax for the duration of their lives. Younger individuals are good to go for the foreseeable future. 

We’re good to go, and the Democrats are happy the SC is letting them off the hook as far as gun control.  

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators

Here are a selection from some early but that really stick out to me. Thomas majority opinion and the concurrences brought the ####ing fire. 

Unambiguously stating that the 2A recognizes a right, not privilege, to bear arms outside the home. 
6KSH5NY.png

Explicit rejection of a two step process

2Gicn3W.jpg

Thomas invoked Dredd Scott and explicitly tied gun control to its racist roots

rWND40W.jpg

Alito goes in HARD after the dissenting Justices’ nonsensical arguments. 
8Vntk8Q.jpg

fQ5DcKS.jpg

This is a truly worst case scenario ruling for gun controllers. 

1TH868g.jpg

Here is some salt from one of our favorite histrionic anti-2A sh!itweasels. 

SCTu1Tr.jpg
WSCU99D.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂

Cope and seethe. Cope and seethe. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Take a look at CNN.  They are moaning, wailing, rending their garments and predicting the end of the world.  Absolutely hilarious.

Cheers,

Whisper

The mayor of New York and Laurie Lightfoot mentioned that most of the shootings they are concerned about are small disagreements escalating to the use of guns. I get it, but as mayors, they are going to have to deal with gang problems and low level crime that escalates. Their concerns have nothing to do with law abiding gun owners. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Here is some salt from one of our favorite histrionic anti-2A sh!itweasels. 

SCTu1Tr.jpg
WSCU99D.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂

Cope and seethe. Cope and seethe. 

If I were to meet Keith on the streets I'd kick him square in the nuts...if he has any. He really doesn't want to challenge the SC's authority.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
59 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Here are a selection from some early but that really stick out to me. Thomas majority opinion and the concurrences brought the ####ing fire. 

He has really angered me in a few previous rulings unrelated to guns but he has redeemed himself on this one. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

I think the older folks paranoid about the big gun grab can relax for the duration of their lives. Younger individuals are good to go for the foreseeable future. 

What will the fear mongering people do with all their free time? We were assured that Biden would be the end of the 2nd Amendment as we know it! 

Seriously though I bet the NRA is pissed. It's going to be harder to raise money now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know how to get a  hold of the Supreme Court to get this reversed really quick?  I just heard on The Five that the cast of the view, especially joy behar and Whoopi Goldberg are pissed!  Someone needs to call Justice Thomas and let him know so he can rewrite the majority opinion.

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

For the most part Eric Adams and Hag Hochul have said that the Supreme Court ruling has no bearing to them-and pretty much daring the courts to come and make them change New York laws-

I can't say that their attitudes surprise me-they are only acting like the complete Progressives they are-

But oh boy if you subvert their Highnesses-heads will roll-

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Links2k said:

Told y’all nothing was going to happen concerning gun control. Even the bipartisan gun bill before the senate is really nothing when you think about it. I have no problem with making 21 the legal age to purchase a rifle. I don’t like the proposed red flag laws. That’s a law just waiting to be abused.

Conservatives have the Supreme Court that they wanted. Robert’s court has consistently shown that it rules in favor of conservative issues.  I think the older folks paranoid about the big gun grab can relax for the duration of their lives. Younger individuals are good to go for the foreseeable future. 

We’re good to go, and the Democrats are happy the SC is letting them off the hook as far as gun control.  

I wouldn't be crowing too loudly. If not for 2 Democrats ( Joe Manchin and Kirsten Cinema) we would be in serious trouble right now. The Democrats would have abolished the filibuster and packed the Supreme Court with liberal Democrats if not for just two people who refused to budge. Without these two, Biden would have outlawed assault rifles and 9 MM pistols by now. By the time he left office we would have been lucky to own a slingshot. I shutter to think how close we came to losing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Eray said:

I wouldn't be crowing too loudly. If not for 2 Democrats ( Joe Manchin and Kirsten Cinema) we would be in serious trouble right now. The Democrats would have abolished the filibuster and packed the Supreme Court with liberal Democrats if not for just two people who refused to budge. Without these two, Biden would have outlawed assault rifles and 9 MM pistols by now. By the time he left office we would have been lucky to own a slingshot. I shutter to think how close we came to losing.

Now you’re just being negative for fun. People are in a celebrity mood. The things you mentioned are hypothetical situations that did not occur. Let’s take a moment to enjoy the win. 

If you have ever read any of my prior post over the years, you would have seen that I’ve rarely believed there would be a gun grab. My belief was solidified after Sandy Hook. The republicans needed to keep their base afraid of a gun grab, and the democrats needed people to believe they were coming after the guns. That’s the dog and pony show. Neither side was ever serious about anything but fundraising. 

The coming weeks will be about pussy hats, school and border security. I’m also willing to bet a coke that Covid makes a big return. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Whisper said:

Cheers,

Whisper

I just saw on the ABC evening news, Wild Wild West was mentioned several times. The NYC mayor even said it, while they were showing a clip of a subway shooting. All I could think was “looks like it’s already the Wild West, maybe now somebody on the subway will be armed and can stop the shooter”.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, krunchnik said:

For the most part Eric Adams and Hag Hochul have said that the Supreme Court ruling has no bearing to them-and pretty much daring the courts to come and make them change New York laws-

I can't say that their attitudes surprise me-they are only acting like the complete Progressives they are-

But oh boy if you subvert their Highnesses-heads will roll-

Actual picture of NYC Mayor Eric Adams and his team contemplating suicide. 

MHRLive.jpg

Cope and seethe. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, m16ty said:

I just saw on the ABC evening news, Wild Wild West was mentioned several times. The NYC mayor even said it, while they were showing a clip of a subway shooting. All I could think was “looks like it’s already the Wild West, maybe now somebody on the subway will be armed and can stop the shooter”.

I'm sure they will make the subway a sensitive place where carrying is not allowed which will mean people who use it will have to leave their weapon at home. They will do all they can get away with to limit people carrying guns as much as possible.

• Like 2

New York is getting all the press, but there are actually 5 more states that have "just cause" requirements for a CCW permit. California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island all will now have to change their laws as well. 

3 hours ago, Defender said:

Briegly through todays email from TFA about this ruling, but eill read more thoroughly later on their site.  Does anyone e in the know, know how, or if at all, this will affect Tennessees gun laws? 

From what I’ve heard thus far, it won’t affect TN at all. The meat of the ruling was that the people have a right to go armed, but the State can ban carrying in “sensitive” areas and private businesses that want to. TN law is already pretty much that way.

Edited by m16ty
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Links2k said:

This is a huge reason we needed Trump over hillary during those crucial 4 years of multiple SCOTUS appointments. A lot of people say it makes no difference dem or gop, but it matters a lot. Just imagine if we would of had hillary’s appointments rulling on this instead of trump’s. 😱 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, Defender said:

Briegly through todays email from TFA about this ruling, but eill read more thoroughly later on their site.  Does anyone e in the know, know how, or if at all, this will affect Tennessees gun laws? 

Don't type while drunk. 🙂

• Haha 3
23 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Don't type while drunk. 🙂

..or without glasses on my phone, lol.  I haven't consumed anything stronger than coffee or cola in many years, but I should put on my reading glasses before trying to type.  🤣

• Haha 4