Supreme Court shoots down NY rule that set high bar for concealed handgun licenses

11 hours ago, E4 No More said:

The Justice Department doesn't prosecute contempt of court charges; the judge does.

So the justices are going to all plié in a car and go to NY to arrest Eric Adams?

A Judge can make any ruling he wants to, but if you don’t have anybody to enforce the ruling, it doesn’t mean much. Kind of like when President Jackson told the Supreme Court “You’ve made your ruling, now enforce it”, and they didn’t do a thing.

I would like nothing more than to see the NY mayor and others be brought to justice, but I don’t see it happening with the current administration.

Edited by m16ty
2 minutes ago, m16ty said:

So the justices are going to all plié in a car and go to NY to arrest Eric Adams?

A Judge can make any ruling he wants to, but if you don’t have anybody to enforce the ruling, it doesn’t mean much. 

No, the judge issues a ruling of contempt then issues an arrest warrant which the, in this case the Supreme Court Police, make the arrest.

• Moderators

In light of the Bruen decision, the plaintiffs in Miller v Bonta (CA magazine ban) have filed for the stay to be lifted as the circuit judge (Saint Roger T. Benitez) used text & history to rule in the case as was the standard set in Bruen and the state is very unlikely to prevail. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
On 6/29/2022 at 7:15 PM, Omega said:

No, the judge issues a ruling of contempt then issues an arrest warrant which the, in this case the Supreme Court Police, make the arrest.

And if they refuse to make an arrest on that warrant the LEO himself/herself are charged, arrested, and stands before the judge.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, E4 No More said:

And if they refuse to make an arrest on that warrant the LEO himself/herself are charged, arrested, and stands before the judge.

Being that that department answers to SCOTUS, I highly doubt they would refuse at the risk of their jobs, and their own freedom.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, m16ty said:

Well, NY Governor just signed a bill declaring almost every place a "sensitive area". I told y'all NY wasn't going to abide by the ruling.

I read this morning that NY's new handgun bill requires CCP applicants to turn over all social media accounts for evaluation. I suppose that TGN counts as social media, and I wonder how the NY evaluators would look at comments that people make on a similar forum. My guess is that more law suits are coming soon.

3 hours ago, Darrell said:

I suppose that TGN counts as social media, and I wonder how the NY evaluators would look at comments that people make on a similar forum. 

Well, I have not personally read anything on the TGO that I think should prevent an individual from getting a CCP.  We all have our differing opinions, and levels of enthusiasm, but I feel that the Mods on the TGO (tip of the hat) as well as the established members are fairly reasonable thinking individuals and would recognize the kind of extreme rhetoric that might be a precursor to violence and intervene. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:49 AM, Darrell said:

I read this morning that NY's new handgun bill requires CCP applicants to turn over all social media accounts for evaluation. I suppose that TGN counts as social media, and I wonder how the NY evaluators would look at comments that people make on a similar forum. My guess is that more law suits are coming soon.

I agree, more lawsuits, but it’s a shame you have to file suit to have your rights.

They will have to weasel this new lawsuit all the way to the Supreme Court, the new law will get shot down, and then they will just make another unconstitutional law, and the cycle continues. Meanwhile, the people filing these suits are going broke with legal fees.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Well, I have not personally read anything on the TGO that I think should prevent an individual from getting a CCP.  We all have our differing opinions, and levels of enthusiasm, but I feel that the Mods on the TGO (tip of the hat) as well as the established members are fairly reasonable thinking individuals and would recognize the kind of extreme rhetoric that might be a precursor to violence and intervene. 

You’d probably be surprised at what NY officials would deem “disqualifying speech”.

Edited by m16ty
  • Like 2