Handguns that were not cleaned

I recently acquired four pistols (two .45, two 9mm) that were last shot anywhere from 6-12 years ago. They were not cleaned after their last firing. I have not used a bore light to view the bores, so I don't know how bad the damage is.

Am I risking a problem if I thoroughly and repeatedly clean these barrels and then fire the weapons ? Or do I simply need to throw new barrels in all 4 ? I am no gunsmith, but I can manage that.

I just bought a used 1911 when field stripped it it was very dirty but barrel was clean   Looks like they just ran a brush in it and called it good. Unless you’re barrel is pitting  or what defender mentioned  clean it shoot it  or take them to gunsmith if really concerned 

2 hours ago, docachna said:

I recently acquired four pistols (two .45, two 9mm) that were last shot anywhere from 6-12 years ago. They were not cleaned after their last firing. I have not used a bore light to view the bores, so I don't know how bad the damage is.

Am I risking a problem if I thoroughly and repeatedly clean these barrels and then fire the weapons ? Or do I simply need to throw new barrels in all 4 ? I am no gunsmith, but I can manage that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these guns are ruined. You should give them to me to for proper disposal. 
LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lol indeed, my glock goes years without a good cleaning, my 10/22 went at least 20 years without any major cleaning, but when I did I replaced a bunch of parts, thought it was just because, since I had already had it apart and it was a good time to do the replacements, the OEM parts are still in my possession though, just in case.

• Like 1

Unless they were stored in a pond or fired with corrosive ammunition, I doubt you’d even need to clean them before firing.

Have you looked in the barrels? I think I’d start there before buying replacements.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

My grandfather never cleaned any of his guns lol. Ever. He was a regular hunter his whole life, so he used them a lot. When I got some of his old guns they were heavily used and some probably 50yrs in need of a cleaning. Yes, they were rough (character marks 😊), but they're fine. I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

He loved to tell me the story how he dropped his 300H&H in a creek in OR crossing a log while elk hunting. Sounded like a real chore to actually get it back. I often look at it and think of how many stories that rifle could tell. It sure did need a good cleaning when he finally passed it on. I never bothered to clean his revolver. I figured it’s been a great shooter for 50yrs like it is, why should I mess with it now lol. I don't want to mess with it’s mojo.

I clean my own guns regularly, but the way he used his firearms taught me that it’s usually for my benefit more than the gun’s lol.

• Like 2