5 shot 357 or 6 shot 38 special

If I had to do only one (and you say I do!) I'd go with the .357 5-shot, which can defend you against anything in our region, e.g. bears.   One extra round out of a .38 won't do you any good in that scenario because you won't get that many rounds off anyway, and if by chance you did, you're shredded meat.  

• Like 1

For hikes: I keep .38 shotshells for snakes, .357 I keep for bears. Camping, depending on location: .38 JHPs for defense, .357 for dangerous game. For CCW, .38 JHP with 2 .357 JHP because odds are more likely the guy is my size, and I wont need the bigger round, but in the off chance the guy is the size of my old man, 6'7" weighing 395, or my best friend, 6'9" weighing 460, I've got something for that as well. My dad was a Coastie, and they have a motto, Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, and that's just kinda stuck with me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, loadedp3at said:

Thanks all. I was surprised there was not more for the 38. One extra round of +p not a factor at all?

Like someone said above, dont recall a time I ever needed more than 5 rounds, if I did, that's what the Semi's are for.

Most people that carry small .357 revolvers load them with .38+Ps.  Not many want to shoot a J-Frame with full house .357 loads.

I've been going back and forth with this for some time.  When I hike, I carry a Taurus 627 Tracker loaded with 158 Gr .357 Mag loads, because of a possible encounter with an aggressive bear. I don't worry about snakes at all (and they are illegal to kill anyway). 

When I carry a revolver for CCW, it's my S&W 442 loaded with Federal 130 gr. Nyclads. and I'm quite comfortable with that. However, I've been considering purchasing a Taurus 856 Ultalite with a 3" barrel. They are about the same size as the old Colt Detective Special.  Having another round of .38 spl isn't a bad thing at all. 

357 Mag

Edited to add reason; Most likely will not need 6 if your put the other 5 where they need to go. 

It is the Indian, not the arrow type thing, unless your a cop. 

Edited by pop pop

@ the OP - Both are good choices, but to me the 5-shot .357 is preferable.  

The flexibility to use .38, .38 SPL, and .357 Magnum ammo has value.  Also seems like a .357 gun, used reasonably, should hold up longer.  (Stronger top strap, forcing cone, etc.)

357 for me as well. I live on a farm and also spend a lot of time in the woods. I like to have 357 (when I’m not carrying 10mm 😃). I like the extra penetration of the 357 HC just in case I encounter an aggressive large animal like a bear, hog or mad cow (farm... lol). 

I also agree with the versatility. Low power 38 for plinking, 38+p or 357 jhp for SD or hot 357mag hardcast for the woods. Lots of choices with the 357

Edited by Wingshooter
14 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

another question is if the snub in 357 would provide enough power to get through a bear's hide? 

The hide it should. The concern would be a frontal skull hit on a charging bear. After doing the hard part of actually hitting that moving target with a snub, a good hardcast lead bullet or swc should punch through hide and bone. I would rather have that setup than an expanding bullet when penetration to reach the CNS is more important.

Bear spray is probably a better choice for a charging bear IMO, but I still always have a gun in the woods

If we had grizzlies then I would want something else.

Edited by Wingshooter

I would go for the six shot 38 with +P as the ammo is easy to find.

If you find .357 in a store it is most likely fmj.

Am not talking about bear, neither are very good at that, though the .357 is obviously better.

On 6/24/2022 at 12:22 AM, loadedp3at said:

Thanks all. I was surprised there was not more for the 38. One extra round of +p not a factor at all?

I carry a lot more than I shoot. Ease of carry and comfort trumps a lot for me.

Stick a speed strip on your off hand front pocket, and you now have 10 rounds: 11 if you choose.

Edited by gregintenn
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently purchased a Kimber K6s DASA 3” barrel. It is a 6 round j sized frame in .357 magnum. First range session shot 100 flawless rounds operationally and found it to be superbly accurate even in DA. It’s got a moderate recoil, but handles it quite well. In single action it’s even better. If you haven’t checked one of these out, you should, it’s powerful and hides well due to the small size.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2022 at 11:41 PM, Griffen said:

Recently purchased a Kimber K6s DASA 3” barrel. It is a 6 round j sized frame in .357 magnum. First range session shot 100 flawless rounds operationally and found it to be superbly accurate even in DA. It’s got a moderate recoil, but handles it quite well. In single action it’s even better. If you haven’t checked one of these out, you should, it’s powerful and hides well due to the small size.

That's a great revolver.  Never could quite afford one though.

An old 2" S&W snubby is my favorite carry gun.

Enjoy!!!