Cooked up some wild hog

I killed this pig in February.  The meat has been curing in a brine in my outdoor fridge since.  Not intentionally, I've just been insanely busy for the past few months.  Took it out and marinated it in Dr. Pepper for about 8 hours, slathered it in mustard and covered it in a rub.  Threw it on the smoker overnight wrapped in foil, then gave it 4 hours of smoke this morning after unwrapping.  Curing then smoking is a bit different but it's really good.  Almost like pulled pork that is reminiscent of jerky.  I'll will do this again for sure.  

PXL_20220626_021016214.jpg

PXL_20220626_155056248.jpg

PXL_20220626_162155320.jpg

0219221838_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The inside looks like when my wife boils a country ham.

I always wondered if the wild hogs were edible. I’ve read mixed reports. Looks like you’ve figured it out. Thanks for sharing.

I find that they are kind of hit or miss. I know a thing or two, but I'm still learning. On this particular pig. I'm fairly certain that I cooked up one of the front shoulders as pulled pork and it wasn't fit to eat. I suppose spending 3 months in the brine would make just about anything edible though. More than likely I will just keep that tub of brine in the refrigerator and just dump off hams for however long I feel like when I get them for now on.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten boiled country ham. It is heavenly!

Mom told a funny story last night I'd never heard before....  

Her dad brought home a boiled ham, which was a rare treat for them. Mom said the same thing about how good it was and how anxious they were for ham sandwiches. Mom and her sisters always had friends around and the news of boiled ham ensured they were there.  Apparently someone left a door open and not only did their friends come over, their friends' dogs did too.  You can guess what happened.  Mom said they'd gone to get drinks or something, turned around and the ham was gone. 😱

The first thing I thought of was..... 

😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IDK how others train their dogs but mine would have to be starving to try a stunt like that. Our current Blue Healer will look and stare at people food all she wants but only if I give her a "bite" command will she put people food in her mouth. If my dog ever ate my food without the command to do so, all hell would break loose on the poor K9! Nothing physical of course. But she's pretty smart and knows her place.

As far as good ham is concerned my Slavic upbringing puts good prepped Horseradish n Beets on any kind of ham for a sinus clearing explosion of love.... Only place that sells it here is Publics. I used to grind my own years ago. If you like some heat on your food, you aint lived untill you put a good sized gob of Horse Radish on a bite of ham.