Well,  will say, many use the flash of a HCP/ECP as a de-fecto back ground check when buying/selling. If you have a valid HCP/ECP, then currently I can guess that (depending upon the date of issuance) you went through a BGC sometime between today and 8 years ago. I would think if you buy/sell a bit, having that window be a little shorter can’t hurt. 

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Why would they pass this law after just removing the requirement to even get a permit? This is the first I'm hearing of it. 

Must have a TN permit to carry in national park, greenways and other public recreational areas owned by state, city or county.

57 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Ok. What does that have to do with my question?

Because some want a permit.  To keep your CCP you have to renew.  No permit, no carry in the places I mentioned.  I might be a little slow.  If this didn't answer your question, please restate.  

18 minutes ago, chances R said:

Because some want a permit.  To keep your CCP you have to renew.  No permit, no carry in the places I mentioned.  I might be a little slow.  If this didn't answer your question, please restate.  

My question was somewhere rhetorical. I find the timing of this change odd because Tennessee just went to permitless carry recently. Not full constitutional carry but close. So one doesn't even need to get a permit to carry most places but NOW Tennessee wants to add these background checks for people who actually have a permit? It doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

About 7 conditions have to be met to legally carry in most states to include TN.  If the state is going to endorse one to carry, they want to be sure you are legally cleared to do so I guess.  I would still make it clear one cannot legally carry in parks etc without a permit.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My question was somewhere rhetorical. I find the timing of this change odd because Tennessee just went to permitless carry recently. Not full constitutional carry but close. So one doesn't even need to get a permit to carry most places but NOW Tennessee wants to add these background checks for people who actually have a permit? It doesn't make much sense.

If you read the document @GlockSpockposted in full, it actually does explain it pretty well. 

This is only applicable to the Concealed HCP (and they were sloppy as hell as is their norm when they wrote that law). 

There was no renewal fee attached to the renewal of the Concealed HCP. This fee and change in renewal term from 8 down to 5 years covers the costs associated with the required background checks for the permit renewals. 

While TN did adopt a version of permitless carry, this is a separate program and they have no relation to each other in practice or administration. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope they do whatever they need to do to keep other States satisfied and maintain reciprocity. My permit doesn’t do a whole lot within the boarders of the State, but it is golden to be able to carry in other States.