So this law goes into effect July 1 stating that TN carry permit holders must undergo a background check every 4 or 5 years. Does that apply to lifetime holders? That's pretty much defeating the purpose of paying the large sum up front in order to save money on renewals. If TN is a constitutional carry state now how does this make sense?

That just means they will run a background check every 5 years on the lifetime permit holder, if something bad shows up then the permit is revoked. Fair enough...

I am going for the formal permit rather than counting on constitutional carry, as it brings the usual reciprocity with other states and a clearer stance on the status of having a CCW.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/permittypes.html

The way I read it, the 4-year background check is a whole new section in 39-17-1366, unrelated to renewals. TDOS will do the 4-year background checks behind the scenes and we'll never be involved unless it comes back with something and they revoke the permit. This will be done for all Concealed Carry Permit holders.

The $50 fee is already what TDOS charges for CCP renewals. This law change sets that amount in the renewals paragraph j of 39-17-1366 and makes it more official, I guess?

Edited by monkeylizard

The way I was taking it was the 50 dollars was to cover the background check... so do lifetime holders have to pay anything or the only thing they have to worry about is if something comes back on the background check they will be doing automatically?

3 hours ago, BillyBob said:

The way I was taking it was the 50 dollars was to cover the background check... so do lifetime holders have to pay anything or the only thing they have to worry about is if something comes back on the background check they will be doing automatically?

They will let you know if you need to worry.....otherwise, don't.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BillyBob said:

That's not what the revised law says. This new bill has 2 changes to 39-17-1366 and only applies to Concealed Carry Permits. It has nothing to do with the Enhanced or Lifetime Enhanced permits. Those are covered under 39-17-1351.

The first is about the 4-year background check. This creates a whole new paragraph in 3917-1366. Each paragraph is a stand-alone item unless it specifically references back to another paragraph (like para k and L referring back to para. b about training) or clarifies for the entire section like a definition in ( n ). Since it makes no mention of any fees, I presume the Concealed Carry Permit holder won't be charged for this 4-year BG check. Either way, this only applies to Concealed Carry Permit Holders. Enhanced and Lifetime Enhanced are not subject to this 4-year BG check.

The second is to paragraph ( j ) which will now have the new section 3 prescribing a $50 renewal for Concealed Carry Permits. TDOS was already charging a $50.00 renewal fee, so this changes nothing. For some reason or another it was decided that codifying the fee in TCA was needed. On the upside, TDOS can't raise the fee later w/o an act of the legislature to update section 3.

Edited by monkeylizard