Carry Permit Renewal

I received my paperwork for my Enhanced TN carry permit, so I mailed my completed paperwork and payment on June 1, 2022.  I received the card in the US mail on June 28th with the card stating it had been issued June 21.  So, about a month for the renewal process.

Now, this renewal changes the expiration month (permits expire 8 years from date of issue) so it's no longer my birth month.  Do be aware if you decide to renew early that the expiration is 8 years from the issue date of the new permit, NOT 8 years extension from your old permit expiration date.  You might want to time it more carefully than I did if you want to keep your expiration month the same as your birth month!

FWIW:  TN driver's license are the same way - 8 years from date of issue!! 

Not a huge deal, but it does make it harder to remember when it expires.... Get it on that calendar!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I inadvertently went about 7 months past due last time my license was expired so my renewal is nowhere near my birth month. 

Point of note, an expired driver’s license is not like expired car tags. With expired car tags, it’s a simple ticket (usually dropped if you renew before the court date). When your driver’s license expires, it is expired. If you drive, you are driving without a license. That’s a big no no. I got quite the dressing down by the lady at the DMV when they realized my license had been expired for 7 months. 

I ponied up for the Lifetime at my first renewal to make all the timing with the DL moot.

I ran the math out on it an it probably won't save me money (or if it does, not for a long time) but it does save me hassle and I like to keep my life simple so it was well worth it.

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I ponied up for the Lifetime at my first renewal to make all the timing with the DL moot.

I ran the math out on it an it probably won't save me money (or if it does, not for a long time) but it does save me hassle and I like to keep my life simple so it was well worth it.

Same thing here. I got a Lifetime and I was 65 years old. I won't save any money but I was afraid one day they might not let me leave the nursing home to go  renew my permit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

How much does it cost to renew the Enhanced permit for 8 years? I can't seem to find that answer on their website. It looks like you can upgrade from the 8 year permit to lifetime for $200. 

Edit- finally found it. $50. Not sure the math is worth it personally. 

Edited by Erik88
1 hour ago, chances R said:

if renewal every 8 years online is what some of you consider a hassle, I need some help with my day to day life 🤪

Anytime I deal with the government, I consider it a hassle. I wish I could go ahead and purchase a lifetime drivers license to go with my lifetime gun permit. Then I would never have to set foot in the DMV again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Eray said:

Anytime I deal with the government, I consider it a hassle. I wish I could go ahead and purchase a lifetime drivers license to go with my lifetime gun permit. Then I would never have to set foot in the DMV again.

to each his own, but the logic of pre paying the government seems to be contradictory.  My luck, I pay for 'lifetime' and then fall over dead the next month.

1 hour ago, chances R said:

to each his own, but the logic of pre paying the government seems to be contradictory.  My luck, I pay for 'lifetime' and then fall over dead the next month.

Could happen I guess. But I am 71 and bought my lifetime 6 years ago. I would be looking at a renewal 2 years from now. Two years from now when it comes time for a renewal instead of worrying about getting my permit renewed, I plan to be sitting down on my boat dock with a fishing pole and not a worry in the world.

When you get to be my age, you will realize that $100 makes no difference in your standard of living and it is worth it to live stress free. Besides, with no stress, I could still live long enough to come out ahead. I still wish I could buy my lifetime drivers license for $200.

Edited by Eray
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The DL renewal used to be easy to remember,it was every 5th birthday,35,40,45,etc. I had thought about getting the lifetime carry permit but the years vs money didn’t add up. I will be doing good to get 2 more renewals.

• 6 months later...