Need an 80% lower machined/drilled.

I’d be willing to bet my last dollar, in this day and time, you will not find anyone to do this for you. As it would be considered building a firearm that does not have a serial number it does not belong to the builder.

• Like 8

It’s not illegal.  Not yet.  If ever.  The paranoia in here.  Lord.  Worst case scenario is I’ll buy a jig and do it myself.   I just rather have someone do it for me who’s done it before.  Some how, some way I’ll screw it up.  The way some of y’all interpret laws that don’t even exist baffles me.  “If you give your gun to a friend to work on it, who bought a legal jig to use it’s illegal according to the internets.”  “But if you buy a jig which is totally legal to sell, own, and use its perfectly legal.”  #facepalm

This from a seller of 80% lowers, and yes, it can be found on the internet:

https://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/80-lower-news/can-i-build-an-80-lower-receiver-without-an-ffl/

You may have great arguments why the ATF is wrong, but I sure wouldn't want to test them.

Can someone else finish my 80 lower receiver?

Unsurprisingly, the answer to that is no. The ATF explains their ruling in so many words:

1. The Gun Control Act of 1968 defines an FFL as "any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution." As defined by section 921(a)(21)(A) of the Gun Control Act, "engaged in the business" means "a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade for business with the principle objective of livelihood and profit through the sale of distribution of the firearms manufactured."

2. When an unlicensed machine shop, gunsmith, or FFL receives an incomplete firearm receiver (an 80 lower, for example), performs manufacturing activity that results in "the making of a different frame or receiver and also a weapon which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile", and returns it back to the customer or builder (you), he or she has engaged in the "distribution" of a firearm.

3. According to the Gun Control Act, "any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a weapon ... which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, i.e., a firearm, must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer's records."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, jbeard82 said:

It’s not illegal.  Not yet.  If ever.  The paranoia in here.  Lord.  Worst case scenario is I’ll buy a jig and do it myself.   I just rather have someone do it for me who’s done it before.  Some how, some way I’ll screw it up.  The way some of y’all interpret laws that don’t even exist baffles me.  “If you give your gun to a friend to work on it, who bought a legal jig to use it’s illegal according to the internets.”  “But if you buy a jig which is totally legal to sell, own, and use its perfectly legal.”  #facepalm

It's not "paranoia," it's a stated fact that it is illegal according to ATF. Don't pose a question without doing your own research and then talk poorly of those giving you assistance. That's poor character.  The "grey area" you're looking for is YOU using YOUR friends jig to complete it. Not having him to do it for you.

Edited by scatman
  • Like 4

A DIY jig is just asking for trouble. You need a REAL milling machine with not the slop in the quil like a drill press. I bet thousands of lowers were buggared up over the years with their end mill cutter jerking into the side wall making it way too thin. I can picture a couple that were given to me...... for maybe 22LR builds?..... 

14 hours ago, jbeard82 said:

Even if it is/was perfectly legal, anyone with any assets would be an idiot to do this in this day and age.  Why risk losing everything for someone that you don't know or quite honestly as mentioned can buy a jig and do it themselves.  If you are afraid of screwing it up, just buy a lower and be done with it.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

A DIY jig is just asking for trouble. You need a REAL milling machine with not the slop in the quil like a drill press. I bet thousands of lowers were buggared up over the years with their end mill cutter jerking into the side wall making it way too thin. I can picture a couple that were given to me...... for maybe 22LR builds?..... 

I agree.  

I find it hilarious that 99% of you in here say theyll greet authorities at the door with with a barrel to their face if they come to take their guns or “magically” say they disappeared or have been sold if guns become illegal.  But if you drill a hole in some metal y’all become scared ####less.  This type of mental gymnastics baffles me.  

• Dislike 1
21 minutes ago, jbeard82 said:

I find it hilarious that 99% of you in here say theyll greet authorities at the door with with a barrel to their face if they come to take their guns or “magically” say they disappeared or have been sold if guns become illegal.  But if you drill a hole in some metal y’all become scared ####less.  This type of mental gymnastics baffles me.  

I find it more baffling that you are continuing to disrespect the people of this forum. That type of audacity is astounding. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, jbeard82 said:

What folks may or may not do on a hypothetical day in the future is one thing but it is explicitly against the TOS to solicit or promote engaging in illegal activity.

Outside of being against the rules, openly talking about breaking the law (even if the law in question is a bunch of BS) is stupid and asking for needless trouble. 

In the interest of the wellbeing of any dogs that may live or even just be in the general vicinity of your house, I’m locking this thread. 

We’re done here. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1