Cold weather gear

Hey all,

I've been deer hunting casually off and on for 3-4 years now and I have never really invested in quality clothing. I've always just layered what I had laying around the house- old sweats, long sleeve t-shirts, double up on socks, etc. I always wash thoroughly with scent removers obviously and have reasonable success (small bucks and good size does but no good sized bucks). However, this past season I got the bug badly and I was out almost every single day. In the late season, especially with all the snow we had, I was freezing. I was wearing 4-5-6 layers, drinking hot water, hot hands all of it and was nearly miserable except for the love of the hunt (I did get 4 this year so the sacrifice was not in vain) . This season I plan on being out in the woods a lot again but I do not want a repeat of last year. I have already purchased some quality long johns but I am looking for any advice as to which brands to trust with quality gear. I know some people throw out brands like Kryptic, Eberelestock (sp?), KUIU, Sitka, etc. I am not averse to spending quality dough on a quality product but I am not looking to pay a ton for the brand name. If you have a quiet, warm, durable, gear set that you would recommend I would appreciate it. Additionally, I am a ...... "Large fellow" (6'7" and 260) so emphasis on fit for big guys. 

In my old job I was required to be outside in all kinds of weather. I don't do well when its cold. I went with the Carhart extreme cold gear. Not the lighter stuff. Get the clothes rated for extreme cold. It never let me down. 👍

1 minute ago, Grayfox54 said:

In my old job I was required to be outside in all kinds of weather. I don't do well when its cold. I went with the Carhart extreme cold gear. Not the lighter stuff. Get the clothes rated for extreme cold. It never let me down. 👍

I’ve worked a lot outdoors in winter in Michigan's upper peninsula, upstate NY, Northern Europe and above the arctic circle in northern Greenland.  Ditto west Grayfox54 says about wearing proper clothing.  Even then, it’s good to Meyer, but in such a way as to not sweat.

Keep an eye out for sales to make it a little more tolerable.  I use a combo of Under Armor for a base layer, then Columbia/UA for outer upper body layers.  My pants for cold weather are Midway USA brand and work really well without being overly expensive.

I got a set of bibs from Alaska HardGear (Duluth Trading Brand) and I wore them playing out in the snow with the kids last year and I was sweating.  They are legit and I wouldn't hesitate to wear them in a stand in TN weather.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-akhg-deadhorse-bib-overalls-85423.html?dwvar_85423_color=CGY&cgid=akhg-men-pants#start=14&cgid=akhg-men-pants

These were the ones I got.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:09 AM, FireMedic said:

Can you guys confirm if these items in particular are good and quiet for hunting? 

Those duluth bibs are standard canvas material and would be as quiet as carhartts or even jeans

• Like 1

I found some flannel lined LEE carpenter style jeans at WM a year or two ago and wore them fishing several times during the winter.  Kept me fairly warm sitting in a cold/open boat in Dec-Feb.  

• Like 1