Tourniquet question

I'm slowly getting my get home bag stocked with various items including medical emergency items. One of those items is a tourniquet.  The version that I bought is the HALO type. I was wondering if these are just as effective as a CAT type tourniquet or if I should get a different one. One person I spoke with swears by the CAT version. I haven't found much on the internet that gives the pros and cons between the two. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

I prefer the CAT style because it seems to be able to put more pressure on the limb, to stop bleeding faster.  Of course it's the style they issued us and that I am more familiar with, but even some the improvised styles have a stick of some sort to apply the pressure.  I sold a bunch on here from some medical lots I got some time back, still have a few that I place in a bunch of places to have one available if needed.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I prefer the CAT style because it seems to be able to put more pressure on the limb, to stop bleeding faster.  Of course it's the style they issued us and that I am more familiar with, but even some the improvised styles have a stick of some sort to apply the pressure.  I sold a bunch on here from some medical lots I got some time back, still have a few that I place in a bunch of places to have one available if needed.

I put them to use and have them staged everywhere. 

To the OP, the CAT is the best to use. Nothing is as effective, but other styles can be effective as long as you aware of their limitations. Biggest thing is to make sure you train and practice with them. You don’t want to be trying to read an instruction manual when you or someone else is bleeding out. 

• Like 3

Another reason to go CAT is that a larger percentage of people know how to use them.  I'm a SWAT medic and while our guys are free to set their kits up however they want for the most part I want their blow out kits pretty much universal.  One guy kept putting his old RATS in his.  Finally convinced him that he wants every guy on the team to know how to save him quickly and not have to figure out some different device.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, pitt2magic said:

Another reason to go CAT is that a larger percentage of people know how to use them.  I'm a SWAT medic and while our guys are free to set their kits up however they want for the most part I want their blow out kits pretty much universal.  One guy kept putting his old RATS in his.  Finally convinced him that he wants every guy on the team to know how to save him quickly and not have to figure out some different device.

So important. If one is training/working with other folks then IFAKs should be standardized in contents and placement. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

So important. If one is training/working with other folks then IFAKs should be standardized in contents and placement. 

That was why in many military units the kit is always standardized, so any member can find and use whatever is required without having to even worry if it's your kit or not.  

• Like 1

I use tourniquets regularly.  Former law enforcement, now Emergency/Trauma RN and EMT in Memphis in case you wondered why. 🙂

I like the CAT for 1 handed application, and the SOF-T for everything else.  They are very similar, but I find the windlass on the SOF-T, being metal, is a little more sturdy and can be useful with femoral bleeds.  I keep both in my vehicle and on my gear.  Either will serve you well.  As others have said, learn to use them now.  Stage them so they are ready to use. 

• Thanks 1

I would suggest CATs as well based on everything I have seen those and SOF-Ts seem to be the choices and looking at "Pros" the CAT seems to be the standard.

I would also advise against Amazon for you purchase, a ton of fakes out there.  Dark Angel Medical has treated me right in the past.

Here is one list I found for the TCCC approved tourniquets.

https://www.offgridweb.com/preparation/cotccc-has-expanded-its-recommended-tourniquet-list-for-2019/

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Retired military and former emergency medical. I prefer the CAT by virtue of quality and familiarity. However the SOF-T and SAM-XT apply in the same manner as the CAT, are high quality, and can also be applied one handed, so they're perfectly acceptable. As FrankD noted, there is a problem with counterfeit CATs out there. NA Rescue does operate a store of their own on Amazon you can use, or you can buy from them directly at www.narescue.com to be sure you're getting a genuine CAT. Prices are pretty much the same either way, so I go to narescue.com.

There's a brief comparison you can see at https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/pocket-preps-tourniquet-buyers-guide/.

Edited by TuBob
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I couldn’t agree more with all of the fine advice regarding CAT’s above.  As a former trauma nurse turned explorer,  I would like to come at this question sideways and go very analog here.  The BEST equipment in my bush & unexpected experiences is the equipment that’s always with you and at the ready.  An infinitely adjustable belt (such as woven paracord style) will never let you down when you find yourself “in a spot of trouble”.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CMDRStormBorn said:

I couldn’t agree more with all of the fine advice regarding CAT’s above.  As a former trauma nurse turned explorer,  I would like to come at this question sideways and go very analog here.  The BEST equipment in my bush & unexpected experiences is the equipment that’s always with you and at the ready.  An infinitely adjustable belt (such as woven paracord style) will never let you down when you find yourself “in a spot of trouble”.

Something is better than nothing, I suppose, but a belt is a very poor substitute for a legitimate tourniquet.  Carrying a CAT or SOF-T tourniquet is recommended.

I have low tolerance for the RATS tourniquets even though people I know who should know better still swear by them.  Again, something is better than nothing, but the RATS design is as useful/useless as a belt.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/5/2023 at 5:57 AM, CMDRStormBorn said:

The majority of improvised TQs are statistically more likely to fail than work. While knowing how to improvise a TQ is definitely a good thing, having immediate access to real ones is immeasurably better.

An arterial bleed is not the time for "Arts and Crafts" if it can be avoided.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Thearmededucator said:

The majority of improvised TQs are statistically more likely to fail than work. While knowing how to improvise a TQ is definitely a good thing, having immediate access to real ones is immeasurably better.

An arterial bleed is not the time for "Arts and Crafts" if it can be avoided.

I have 3 in my jeep. Also keep quick clot and 4 sucking chest wound seals. This is all in a first aid kit and its marked as such. Usually we have narcan, but I reserve the right to refuse on that one.

• Like 2

A great example of the use and need to practice is in the just released video of the officer involved shooting up near Knoxville recently.  The female officer was shot in the leg and went for her tourniquet but it looked like she was unable to apply it to her leg properly.  The civilian that stopped to help applied it and followed her directions as to how much pressure to apply.  I don't know the extent of her injury but the extra minute or two to apply could have cost her if it had been to her femoral artery.  Thank goodness she survived, and hope it wasn't just to the application of the tourniquet but of a less severe injury.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Omega said:

A great example of the use and need to practice is in the just released video of the officer involved shooting up near Knoxville recently.  The female officer was shot in the leg and went for her tourniquet but it looked like she was unable to apply it to her leg properly.  The civilian that stopped to help applied it and followed her directions as to how much pressure to apply.  I don't know the extent of her injury but the extra minute or two to apply could have cost her if it had been to her femoral artery.  Thank goodness she survived, and hope it wasn't just to the application of the tourniquet but of a less severe injury.

In all fairness, when you get hit..sh#t gets weird. First aid kit usually goes on at least one guys chest rig. Everyone knows who has is, but honestly not everyone knows how to use it. We are just night hunters, but we keep I tight. Two of use a up to speed and the idea we'd both get hit is not likely. 

I personally feel like a TQ goes with gun activities (recreational or otherwise) like peanut butter goes with jelly. You can get by without a lot of nice to have medical equipment and maybe still survive, but in an instance where a TQ is truly necessary you aren’t lasting until help gets there without one….much like a firearm. A TQ is the only non fighting thing I keep on my gun belt, and if I had to bump a knife or dagger to fit a TQ I would. I’m partial to the SOF-T followed by the CAT. I’m somewhat skeptical of the SAM XT as you have to be mindful of a straight pull to engage both of the locking teeth. Without engaging both I’ve seen them come loose during movement/jostling. That being said, with any TQ you should recheck it after moving to ensure it’s still working properly. 

2 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

In all fairness, when you get hit..sh#t gets weird. First aid kit usually goes on at least one guys chest rig. Everyone knows who has is, but honestly not everyone knows how to use it. We are just night hunters, but we keep I tight. Two of use a up to speed and the idea we'd both get hit is not likely. 

Yea, that is what I was pointing out.  If you are hit, you will face adrenaline spikes, and possibly shock.  Having muscle memory helps immensely when having to act during those circumstances. 

• 4 weeks later...