Just getting into reloading and unsure what powder measure to get. I'm staring with 9mm but want to eventually get into 223/556 and 300 blk so I'd like pistol and rifle options. 
I got a rock chucker single stage press to start with. 

11 minutes ago, Huntin101 said:

Just getting into reloading and unsure what powder measure to get.

Are you working within a budget?   If so Lee or RCBS offer powder measures that are pretty reasonably priced. You'll also need a powder scale. The scale is probably more important than the measure. Lee is the budget choice, RCBS or Hornady are the "mainstream" choices.  Dillon is a little more upscale. People who load a LOT of ammo seem to prefer Dillon, but my Lee, RCBS, and Hornady reloading equipment have all worked great for me.

RCBS offers a nice electronic unit that throws and weighs each charge automatically, but it's expensive (at least I think it is) and not necessary unless you're trying to be very precise with your loads.  

Was looking at the RCBS Uniflow or if I went inexpensive then Lee perfect powder drop just didn't know if those were good models .. as both have more expensive lines and ok reviews but I'd like it to function well long term 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Huntin101 said:

Was looking at the RCBS Uniflow

I've had one for over 40 years and it still works just fine. I use an RCBS Chargemaster (it throws and weighs the charge automatically) fairly often, and I like my Lee powder measure just fine, too. I also have a set of Lee powder dippers that are pretty good for stuff like 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 11:58 AM, Huntin101 said:

Was looking at the RCBS Uniflow or if I went inexpensive then Lee perfect powder drop just didn't know if those were good models .. as both have more expensive lines and ok reviews but I'd like it to function well long term 

Have a few Lee products which seem OK.  My RCBS Uniflow has thrown many a pound of powder.  It seems to show no wear except the exterior finish which has come off from my banging it around the workbench.  Long term, I would go with RCBS over Lee, but others may argue differently.

• Thanks 1
On 7/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, Huntin101 said:

I was going to get a set of those Lee powder dippers also they're only 10 bucks. 

For 9mm the powder dipper will be just fine as long as you don't play in the max range, which IMO doesn't need to be that hot.  The uniflow is good, have a couple, as well as one of the chargemasters, they work great, but I used the Lee perfect powder measure for years without an issue, and the new ones are even better.  I drop powder (volume) for my pistol cartridges weighing one now and then, but weigh each of my rifle rounds, because I have usually developed a specific load which I want to stick closely to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been loading on a RCBS Rockchucker ,  using a Uniflow measure and an old 10-10 Scale for close to 40 years now. And this stuff was used when I bought it.  You can't go wrong with RCBS. 😉

In fact, I'll be finishing up a batch of 1000 9mms tomorrow. 😃

26 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been loading on a RCBS Rockchucker ,  using a Uniflow measure and an old 10-10 Scale for close to 40 years now. And this stuff was used when I bought it.  You can't go wrong with RCBS. 😉

In fact, I'll be finishing up a batch of 1000 9mms tomorrow. 😃

My Rockchucker is a two generation hand me down from my Grandpa, it's at least 70 years old, still functioning like it was fresh out of the box.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Lyman 55s for a few decades.  Very good with pistol powders and even extruded rifle powders.  I recently tried an RCBS Uniflow with IMR 4064 and it seemed more difficult to cut the powder, but I'm not going to dismiss the Uniflow based on one experience.  I don't think you would be disappointed with a Lyman 55 

• 4 weeks later...

Lee PERFECT Powder Measure 90858    I have one of these and it only costs $20 back in the day.   It throws more accurately than my $200 RCBS powder measure..... good starting product but price has gone up a little over the years.   FWIW 

Edited by RANGERRON72
  • Like 3