Tritium Element Replacements

I was wondering if anyone had any experience finding a replacement tritium element for an optic or possibly know a gunsmith who performs this repair. Basically I have an exported Optic that had the element stripped before export. I would like to replace it to illuminate the optic and restore it to its original setup. 

If relevant, the optic is a British SUSAT mounted on the MarColMar CETME LV/S. I did ask the importer but they did not have anything to share.

There are LED replacements, like this one:

https://whatacountry.com/trilux-scope-led.aspx

Haven't taken a SUIT apart, but about 15 years ago replaced the illumination in a Soviet 1P29 (which they almost directly copied from the SUIT) and it was just a tritium vial stuck in a blob of wax or putty inside the scope.  Someone did a group buy from overseas - probably not feasible now.

This is not safety/medical advice, but in a prior life had professional interaction with tritium.  The allowable exposure was pretty high and the decontamination was to drink lots of fluids. 😀  

Saw this  too late, but if it helps someone else. I’ve got them from Mixglo a few years ago. 

I had a couple govt 96G slides with dead fixed night sights. Originally beretta sent slides off to trijicon to get lamped. When I called Trijicon to replace them, they would not, they only provide that service for conventional removable sights and their products. However would lamp them if the old vials were already removed…. somehow. Bizarre as that sounds.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Erich said:

Saw this  too late, but if it helps someone else. I’ve got them from Mixglo a few years ago. 

I had a couple govt 96G slides with dead fixed night sights. Originally beretta sent slides off to trijicon to get lamped. When I called Trijicon to replace them, they would not, they only provide that service for conventional removable sights and their products. However would lamp them if the old vials were already removed…. somehow. Bizarre as that sounds.

That is where I am purchasing mine but I didn't want to share unless it was good to go! I've heard really good things about the seller from various sources. 

18 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Make sure you're well versed on safety protocols on handling tritium lamps. You don't want to be wondering what needs to be done once you've broken one.

From my understanding, the amount of tritium in the vials is not enough to be harmful. Instructions are to let the gas dissipate and to drink fluids as @mike_f said! Appreciate the call out for safety from both of y'all, this stuff isn't to be played around with! Hoping to get my SUSAT optic back to spec! Thanks everyone!

7 minutes ago, molov said:

That is where I am purchasing mine but I didn't want to share unless it was good to go! I've heard really good things about the seller from various sources. 

They were good to go for me. Vials were tight for my application. They break easily so don’t  force them if they don’t go right in  😉

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Erich said:

...and that is a biotch. Years ago, I tried to get the vials out of some old Trij iron sights just to see if I could.
Trijicon puts I believe a sapphire in front of the vial to protect it. Can't drill it out or lift it out to get to the vial.
Everything I tried would destroy the sights. So I wrote it off as a failed experiment.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Erich said:

They were good to go for me. Vials were tight for my application. They break easily so don’t  force them if they don’t go right in  😉

It is actually going into a small recess on a rod. All I do is put some fresh silicone in there and gently lay the vial into the silicone. I watched a video of a guy doing it specifically for a SUSAT and it looks "fool proof". I'll certainly challenge that! 😄

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, BHunted said:

...and that is a biotch. Years ago, I tried to get the vials out of some old Trij iron sights just to see if I could.
Trijicon puts I believe a sapphire in front of the vial to protect it. Can't drill it out or lift it out to get to the vial.
Everything I tried would destroy the sights. So I wrote it off as a failed experiment.

They did a similar thing for the Berettas. Using a loop I could see their was a covered hole vs it being a blind hole. They counterbored for final diameter. So i used the pilot hole with my mill to drill / punch them out. All of them broke.  To the horror of the safety patrol!!  

I’m kidding, but it wasn’t quite the joker’s origin story of falling into a vat of toxic waste that it’s occasionally made out to be. 

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I already received my order from Mixglo and the vial is perfectly seated in the optic rod. I'll try to get some pictures but the source was quality and got here quicker than things from Amazon 😄

15 hours ago, mike_f said:

Nice! Have you tried viewing it in low light yet? Maybe just the photo, but it looks pretty bright.

I did try to take some pictures in lower light but that resulted in those blurry pictures that look like they are from 20 years ago. I'm no photographer so I just did what I could 😄

The optic in low light is much brighter but is subtle enough to not obscure your sight picture at night. I am really pleased with the end result. I bought some extra vials of the tritium in a couple of other colors and I wish I had more optics to do this on.

• Like 1