Indiana mall shooting

I saw one story that focused on how rare it is for a shooter to be stopped by a bystander.

"It isn't common for mass shootings to be stopped in such fashion. From 2000 to 2021, fewer than 3% of 433 active attacks in the U.S. ended with a civilian firing back," 

Do ya think it just might be because most of these shootings have happened in "Gun Free Zones"?  The antis are reaching hard to try to discredit Mr. Dicken's actions, but it ain't flyin'. 

The Chief and Mayor of Greenwood just keep praising this young man at every news conference and on camera. Even anti-gun MSM can't just ignore that. I LOVE IT! 😄 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Do ya think it just might be because most of these shootings have happened in "Gun Free Zones"

That's part of it but the reality is that only a small percentage of people with a carry permit actually carry most of the time. I know a lot of people with a TN HCP and I'm one of the only ones that actually uses it regularly. Those of us on this forum are the exception. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

1658228385280.png

We can debate tactics, gear, and spend countless hours on 9mm vs. 40 S&W vs. .45 ACP...all that is just filler.  Nothing determines an outcome more than the mindset of an individual who acts when human instinct is to freeze or flee.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

That's part of it but the reality is that only a small percentage of people with a carry permit actually carry most of the time. I know a lot of people with a TN HCP and I'm one of the only ones that actually uses it regularly. Those of us on this forum are the exception. 

This. Plus only a small percentage actually has a permit to begin with. The odds of an armed citizen being in position to stop an active shooter aren't great. IF there happens to be one nearby, you have to factor in btq96r's point about mindset and their willingness to engage and their ability to put lead on target.

The odds of all those things happening are not high.

• Moderators

Elisjsha Dicken (the Good Samaritan and of the two people with a gun that day, the only one who’s name I care about) did not have a permit. He was legally carrying under the Indiana constitutional carry law that went into effect 16 days ago. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Elisjsha Dicken (the Good Samaritan and of the two people with a gun that day, the only one who’s name I care about) did not have a permit. He was legally carrying under the Indiana constitutional carry law that went into effect 16 days ago. 

What a validation of the change in law.  Hate that it happened, but this vignette has a clear takeaway that the new law is a good one.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
44 minutes ago, btq96r said:

What a validation of the change in law.  Hate that it happened, but this vignette has a clear takeaway that the new law is a good one.

Not only that, but I just saw report that said he fired 10 shots and made multiple affective hits from a distance of 40 yards away. What an absolute Chad. 

I’m curious as to what gun he was carrying. Not because it matters that much in the grand scheme of things, but out of a personal desire for it to be something cheap. Being prepared to defend yourself and others is for poor people too. There is a lot of elitism in the gun community, and that’s just my personal axe to grind.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Not only that, but I just saw report that said he fired 10 shots and made multiple affective hits from a distance of 40 yards away. What an absolute Chad. 

I’m curious as to what gun he was carrying. Not because it matters that much in the grand scheme of things, but out of a personal desire for it to be something cheap. Being prepared to defend yourself and others is for poor people too. There is a lot of elitism in the gun community, and that’s just my personal axe to grind.

I heard it was a Glock but not sure of which one other than 9mm.

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/crime/what-we-know-about-the-armed-civilian-who-killed-greenwood-gunman

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I also heard police say he moved tactically  towards the shooter while waving other people to safety. I wonder if we'll ever get to see the security footage of that part. 

I'm sure most of us have wondered how we would handle such an event. I've always been concerned about having a safe backstop so you don't accidentally hit someone else. From what we know so far this young man did about as good as anyone could hope for. He deserves all the praise. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I also heard police say he moved tactically  towards the shooter while waving other people to safety. I wonder if we'll ever get to see the security footage of that part. 

I'm sure most of us have wondered how we would handle such an event. I've always been concerned about having a safe backstop so you don't accidentally hit someone else. From what we know so far this young man did about as good as anyone could hope for. He deserves all the praise. 

I am sure it will be released, well right up until the kill anyway.  He sure does deserve to be recognized, but also feel they need to give him space and time to process his actions, it takes a minute. 

As an aside; I went to meet a fellow TGOer out at place on Old Hickory Blvd and arrived a few minutes early so decided to get something to drink, after waiting in line for about 5 minutes at the Dunkin Donut, I just pulled into the Marathon gas station to get a drink and was surprised to see a "No Open Carry" sign.  While I would prefer them to just not put any sign up, at least it's a step in the right direction.  That was my first though, so I have either not been paying attention to signs or they have been slowly replacing the Guns Prohibited signs.

8 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Anything been said about if the Good Samaritan has any formal training?  At 22, could he have been in and out of the Military?

They said he has no military or law enforcement background. 

5 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Anything been said about if the Good Samaritan has any formal training?  At 22, could he have been in and out of the Military?

The reported level of accuracy with a pistol is way too good to have been learned from military training. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I would guess that the hero has grown up around firearms most of his life and spent a lot of time in a range. What ever gave him his abilities, to put 8 out of 10 rounds in the bad guy at 40 feet is to be commended and his actions are appreciated by many!!

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I would guess that the hero has grown up around firearms most of his life and spent a lot of time in a range. What ever gave him his abilities, to put 8 out of 10 rounds in the bad guy at 40 feet is to be commended and his actions are appreciated by many!!

What gave him the ability was that he leaned against a pillar to steady himself.

On 7/19/2022 at 11:10 PM, AuEagle said:

ffcda41f2f9dcff9.jpeg

What’s the penalty for carrying on a gun free  zone at a business? I DO NOT open carry in the first place. So what they don’t know won’t hurt them, unless metal detectors are present. Then your gonna have to empty your pockets anyway.My wife is in the hospital in Murfreesboro and if you have to go in the ER , they have security guards there asking if you have any guns or knives on you.Nobody in the main entrance checking, just a sign.I kind of understand it at the ER entrance.

My opinion is the gun free zone signs are just screaming for trouble!

Edited by jeff43